Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Vinyl Clad Enclosures: Help

Smile Refinishing Vinyl Clad Enclosures: Help

The current crop of upper end JBL (and other brand) speakers does a pretty nice job of providing well made cabinets with almost believeable fake wood surfaces. As long as it remains in good shape, it's fine. When it gets old, worn, or roughed up, it's not so nice.

The pair of SVA2100s I recently got are in pretty good shape, except for the vinyl surfaces. They have lots of scratches, as few small dings, a few slightly peeled edges, and a nice, sloppy, shiny coat of black spray paint where some moron "touched them up." This was probbly to cover up the white latex paint spatters that appear on the cabs.

The idea of applying contact cement over this surface gives me night sweats, because the vinyl is likely to react to the solvents and do weird things like shrivel, bubble, and lose its structural bond. Any veneer I'd apply over this could end up a mess, even separating and coming off over time.

The thought of trying to peel the vinyl off is insane, and stripping it off will likely damage the MDF due to the chemicals required.

Painting it is absurd as long as the vinyl remains. There are so many reason why this is senseless, I won't even list them.

So, what to do? What to do?
    Out.

Unhappy One misfire

I thought I'd strip all the components out and take the enclosures to a cabinet shop or mill and have the craftsman mill about 1/32 to 1/16 off the sides and top. The front and rear are in pretty good shape.

Then I'd apply some ash veneer and stain/paint it black a la L7 or L5.

Unfortunately, the first place I took it the guy said he wouldn't risk f@#$ing up his equipment by putting a vinyl clad piece in it.

I was willing to pay him to do it, at least $50. Why wouldn't he try it on his stupid $11,000 cabinet planer? :dont-know
    Out.

pelly3s
    could you use a heat gun to loosen up the glue and allow you to peel it off and refinish them. i dont really know if it would work or not never tried it but its the only thing that comes to mind

pelly3s
    or a belt sander and a lot of belts

I'd heat and peel. You can't get it planed off due to the blades cupping the MDF. You could find in that same shop a sander that uses abrasives in the setup rather than planing knives. I see no reason why you couldn't heat and peel. The glue left behind is going to be very thin based on the thickness of the vynil. If the glue was thick it would be noticeable in the appearance of the vynil material and i think you'll agree you cannot feel any lumps or thickness. GO FOR IT!

Torch it off.

[O.K., maybe try other ideas first.... ]

Personally I would make new cabinets but then I have a great selection of saws. Wallpaper remover may help, depending on the adhesive. It's gonna be a real Hillary no matter what you try. How about laying wood veneer right on top?

How 'bout sheeting them with 1/4" MDF and veneering over that?

Gorilla glue and fasteners might be enough to hold the MDF in place
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Designer MDF

Think out side the square Dome!
    There seems to be a movement in the decorating circles ( I'll be careful here ) that MDF with a coat of clear over it appears to be the ducks nuts, I saw some cabinets a la Hi Fi blah blah and they looked great.
    Use a heat gun (not on nuke setting five ) and see what is underneath and sand back accordingly.
    They could look A OK if they have used all the same MDF.
    I hope this may help.
    Regards
    Michael

3 M makes a product used to take vinyl stripes off of auto body panels,maybe this would work?

Smile A wild guess

Thanks for the suggestions, but at this point I'm going to guess no one has tried this yet?

Does anyone know first hand how the vinyl is bonded to the MDF?
    Out.

idea

IS it possible to take some sort of wood planer and set it for whatever thickness is needed and slowly and im sure painfully remove the vinyl? Probablly not a good idea the planer would gum up quickly im sure. I did refinish a coffee table once. The vinyl was glued on, it actually peeled away quite easily. it was real wood underneath. How about finding a woodworking forum and asking the real experts? or maybe even finding out from jbl how it was applied? Wish i could help you more TI. REGARDS JIM

Smile

Jim

I've emailed JBL. We'll see if I get an answer.
    Out.

Why not just get some new vinly and go right over it??? No compatabillity issues and your no worse off as far as looks are concerned. Sounds a lot easier than trying to remove the old.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The current crop of upper end JBL (and other brand) speakers does a pretty nice job of providing well made cabinets with almost believeable fake wood surfaces.
    Is that true? I haven't seen vinyl speakers except for the real cheapos at Best Buy and the like.

I'd agree with the advocates of heat. Re-skinning them with 1/4" plywood with real veneer would be easier if you have the equipment the cut tight miters.

Widget

Thread Information