Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4333B or L 300?

4333a/4333b

Good morning, Can one of you guru's tell the audience the difference between the a & b model AND I have a pair of 4333A's supposedly out of Peter Frampton's Westchester County studio. (although I have no paperwork to prove it, maybe I can get him to sign them someday, that's a good story! ). Anyway, Rolf, Guido, what mods can be done to the crossovers to "make em' better?". I've searched this site hi & lo and am coming up without an answer. I am by no means an electronic fix it, tune up guy, the best I can muster would be tinning wire . I could however remove them for an upgrade and send them out. PM me with that kind of info please or post here.

Thx, Steve
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

I am not a expert but I would guess if you do the by-pass cap thingy you might get a bit of improvement. But I do not think there is any way to make a 3 way sound as accurate as a 4 way.

Tom Loizeaux
    Though the L300 and 4333 are very similar, I always liked the 4333 approach to functional design. To me, the tilt back cabinet, tan grille cloth and the glass top type touches simply compromised the intent of a good, straight forward functional design. When you try to make speaker cabinets that "fit a decor", you will most likely be making compromises in sonic performance or in extra cost. Both of these speakers should be put on some base to get them up off the floor, so the tilt back thing doesn't really make sense.
    Many of the other vintage JBL models came in a choice of finishes, typically walnut w/ blue grilles or studio gray w/ black grilles. At least these variations didn't alter the cabinet shape or size.
    If the L300 don't have the ferrite magnets on the woofers, then that might be reason enough to go with the 4333Bs.

Just my $.02

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Though the L300 and 4333 are very similar, I always liked the 4333 approach to functional design. To me, the tilt back cabinet, tan grille cloth and the glass top type touches simply compromised the intent of a good, straight forward functional design. When you try to make speaker cabinets that "fit a decor", you will most likely be making compromises in sonic performance or in extra cost. Both of these speakers should be put on some base to get them up off the floor, so the tilt back thing doesn't really make sense.
    Many of the other vintage JBL models came in a choice of finishes, typically walnut w/ blue grilles or studio gray w/ black grilles. At least these variations didn't alter the cabinet shape or size.
    If the L300 don't have the ferrite magnets on the woofers, then that might be reason enough to go with the 4333Bs.

Just my $.02

Tom
    I think the 4333Bs sound a little bit more acurate as the L300.I will keep the 4333bs.So I dont know if the 4341 or 4343 is an upgrade to the 4333.I am a little bit sceptical,because the Members always speak about modification to the 4343 crossover and so on.For me this is a sign the People are not very satisfied with the 4343?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Becker
    I am a little bit sceptical,because the Members always speak about modification to the 4343 crossover and so on.For me this is a sign the People are not very satisfied with the 4343?
    [***SNORT***]

Obsolete
    I am a little bit sceptical,because the Members always speak about modification to the 4343 crossover and so on.For me this is a sign the People are not very satisfied with the 4343?
    That would probably be a poor conclusion. Consider the source - this board is full of tinker types. The L300/4333 network can absolutely stand a few modifications.

I think the 4333Bs sound a little bit more acurate as the L300.I will keep the 4333bs.
    Main criterium should always be your ears, right?
    So I dont know if the 4341 or 4343 is an upgrade to the 4333.I am a little bit sceptical,because the Members always speak about modification to the 4343 crossover and so on.For me this is a sign the People are not very satisfied with the 4343?
    Can't come to that conclusion, after reading many threads concerning 4343s at this forum. IMHO the JBL 4-ways are obviously an improvement, and probably better balanced systems compared to the 3-ways. Everything else would be a surprise also, regarding the effort that has been made by JBL to develop them (and the effort that several members have invested to keep these speakers alive). Saying this, i have to admit i can't speak of own experiences so far, but hope to be able to, sometimes this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux

Just my $.02

Tom
    Perfect description of my thoughts too, couldn't say it better. Personally I like, or prefer the functional look of the studio monitors too. Thats why i wasn't sooo much after them, when i had the chance. But for sure most L300 owners will disagree, its a question of personal taste, and they are outstanding speakers.
    Peter, i'm sure you won't loose money when ebaying them, or selling them locally – no doubt. And please ignore me when i try to buy them back from you - i would be tempted to butcher them for the 077s and 136s (reconed as 2235s), and fill my 4343 cabs with them.

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    Rolf - are you saying that the L300 xover can be improved substantially? How? enough to make it sound las good as a 4343 or so?
    The crossover on 4333/L300 can be improved a lot, but you can't get it to sound like the 4343 as they are two different speakers.

Rolf

Tom Loizeaux
    ... I dont know if the 4341 or 4343 is an upgrade to the 4333.I am a little bit sceptical,because the Members always speak about modification to the 4343 crossover and so on.For me this is a sign the People are not very satisfied with the 4343?
    Not really! The fact that 4343 owners are looking for crossover upgrades is because they have decided that these 4-way 4343s are so good that they are "keepers". Upgrading the crossovers, or maybe using fresh 2235H woofers are the only things that need to be done to make them "state of the art". The 4333s are not quite up to the sonic quality of the 4343s and therefore don't get all the efforts to perfect them that the 4343/45s do.

Tom

OK, I'll try it again

1. What is the difference between the A&B 4333 model?

2. Who here does crossover mods for members? What are the mods and approx cost?

3. Anybody interested?
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

My quess would be the alnico to ferrite conversion would be the main driver changes. From a 2231A to 2231H. No network changes on the schematics.

Rob

I hope the modifications dont kill the JBL Sound!

paragon

Monitor or L300 ?

Of course L300 !
    Similar to the Mon but with the better very good looking enclosure !

4333a&b differences

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker
    OK, I'll try it again

1. What is the difference between the A&B 4333 model?
    as Rob wrote, just alnico to ferrite change on woofer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    I hope the modifications dont kill the JBL Sound!
    Now do you honestly think we are out running amok killing the JBL sound?

I'm getting bored schooling you guys...

Thread Information