Thread: Low/High Frequency Amp Combo's?

Low/High Frequency Amp Combo's?

It sounds like Mcintosh Amps make a great companion to JBL Speakers.

Having said this, I'm interested to hear from those that have had or currently use a brand of amps or a combination of amps from different manufacturers to run a bi-amped setup, each specifically targeting either the low or high end and what pre-amps they use, if any?

This is not confined to solid state either.

Purchasing 4 monoblocks would be ideal but financial suicide for most. If 4 monoblocks could not be achieved, would you purchase 2 x 2 channel amps and use one for each side or one to run only the low end and the other amp to run the high end or would you purchase 2 monoblocks, and save up for 2 more later?

I'm sure we'd all love to own Mcintosh Amps but I'd like to hear reviews of other equipment used by users in this forum, including pre-amps?

I personally would love to own a VTL TL-7.5 Reference Line Pre-Amplifier mated with McIntosh MC-1201 monoblocks amps....sounds like a killer combination...maybe too much.....if only money grew on trees. I'd have to wait for these suckers to become vintage before I could afford them

Without fincial burden, what would you consider to be the best pre-amp/amp (bi-amp) combination out there today, current or vintage?

I currently use a pair of B&W 801 Matrix Series 3 speakers and soon to be owned XPL-200's, which means I would require amps that can easily drive these speakers down to 2 ohms with ease. Food for thought.

Cheers
    Pasadena

Low/High Frequency Amp Combo's?

Maybe we should run a sticky for new and current members with a topic heading 'Choose your speakers, choose your amps.'

This will always be asked and would provide a great source of information for anyone wanting to know what others use to run their JBL's and make an informative decision based on everyone's review to choose the own matching combination.

Whats this about two ohms?

Go out an buy a 3 phase variable speed drive, Two ohms is nothing to do with hfi!

My B&W's, much like the 200's are typically 6 ohm speakers but my 801's can run down to 2.3 ohms therefore are low impedence speakers and difficult to drive.

Therefore these speakers require more than your every day amps to drive them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Whats this about two ohms?

Go out an buy a 3 phase variable speed drive, Two ohms is nothing to do with hfi!

I would ditch the 801 and trade up to a one of the more current soa systems that so much better and easier to drive.

The money spend on an amp that might drive the 801 would more than justify dumping them.

Ian,

My eventual system will most probably comprise of a pair, maybe two JBL XPL-200 speakers along with a pair of DX-1's. I'll use a JBL SDP-40 as my pre-processor and it will then be a matter of picking a minimum of a pair up to two pair of amps to suit.
    My aim will be to use the 801's for Home Theatre and the XPL-200's as my 2-channel setup.

Any recommendations or help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    PAsadena

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I would ditch the 801 and trade up to a one of the more current soa systems that so much better and easier to drive.

The money spend on an amp that might drive the 801 would more than justify dumping them.

What power amp (2) do you use at the moment?

Can you post an impediance curve?

How much power do you need?

Ian

A single brand...whatever your choice

While different amps may offer a 'texture' difference which may be more preferable than others, it is my belief and practice to use only a single brand of amplifier, especially if the application requires multiple amps. Using the same amp gives you identical gain structure and uniform response throughout the system.
    For recording and permanent installation I use Bryston, which (while I'm not trying to say they are the best) can stand up to anybody in the fidelity department, are extremely transparent and enjoy great respect in the industry. While they are expensive, they are not astronomical in price.

For live my preference is to standardize around QSC. They are not the greatest amp in terms of fidelity, specs or even sound, but they are a 'good' over all performer, extremely powerful, reliable and are well priced. Sonicly I am more than pleased (as live is less critical) but, the pay off is the sure power surge and dynamics you get when every component and amplifier in the system is identical and performs as one coherent system.

2 ohm load

Hi Pasadena
    There's really only one power amp here that will do the trick without breaking the bank ( Don't know how big your bank is )
    Look for ME 850 they will drive 2 ohms no problem, one of the very few that will.
    My pal runs ME 850 on an L300 and it sounds fantastic.
    The XPL 200 is not easy to run either, the ME 850 wiil do that standing on its ear you may then elect to buy another at a later date and bi amp
    The best XPL 200 combo I heard was with a Krell KSA-250 up their skirt.
    So good luck with your search, if I see one in my travels I will PM you.
    Regards
    Michael

Thread Information