Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a visitor today

Had a visitor today

Edgewound (Ken) dropped in this afternoon and we spent several hours listening to some great tunes. Get this, he walked in with over 75-100 cd's (just in case he mumbled). I thought he was moving in!

He brought some great jazz CD's that I had not heard and I was burnin copies like a mad man. I enjoyed his company and agreed it was unfortunate we had not met sooner. He did make me feel pretty good when he stated the HR1's sounded better than the custom system we had listened to at Westlake last week. Course he may have said that just to get that last piece of Pizza?

Here is a photo of Ken at Ken's.

I enjoyed it Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I see you made him take his shoes off too!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    That happens all the time in CA. When I lived in OH, IN, and MI, I usually wore my shoes inside, virtually all the time. So did everyone else. Occasionally, someone would install white carpet and make everyone take their shoes off, but it was somewhat uncomfortable for me.

Same in chicago.

But here in SoCal, I hardly ever wear shoes inside anymore, and when I do I feel awkward, like I'm being impolite. Now when I return to Chicago or Kalamazoo or Toledo, I automatically take my shoes off as soon as I enter someone's house. Some people get a little weirded out by it. :dont-know

When I drove to Ken's to see and hear the Westies, I would have taken my shoes off in any case, as I felt like I entered a shrine. Thankfully, when I started to take off my shirt and pants, he said it wasn't necessary.
    Out.

Ti Dome... I do love your sense of humor

Question L300s

At one point, Ken, you got a pair of L300s which since went to a forum member I believe. Your plan was to use them for the duration of your stay here, while the Westlakes got packed away in preparation for the move.

Obviously the Westlakes are sitting where I last saw them and the L300s are gone. Was it just to hard too live without the Westlakes on a daily basis?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    as I felt like I entered a shrine. Thankfully, when I started to take off my shirt and pants, he said it wasn't necessary.
    You missed your calling funny man...

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    At one point, Ken, you got a pair of L300s which since went to a forum member I believe. Your plan was to use them for the duration of your stay here, while the Westlakes got packed away in preparation for the move.

Obviously the Westlakes are sitting where I last saw them and the L300s are gone. Was it just to hard too live without the Westlakes on a daily basis?
    Well, you hit the nail on the head...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    I was burnin copies like a mad man.
    I thought that was illegal.

Oh wait, you're just doing off-site backups for him. Carry on.

norealtalent
    I'm really not sure about the handsome gent, he could be an imposter, but the TAD preamp looks sweet. I hear it sounds pretty good too...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I thought that was illegal.

Oh wait, you're just doing off-site backups for him. Carry on.
    Your a perceptive fellow Mr. G, as a matter of fact that's exactly what I was doing.

So much to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Edgewound (Ken) dropped in this afternoon and we spent several hours listening to some great tunes. Get this, he walked in with over 75-100 cd's (just in case he mumbled). I thought he was moving in!

He brought some great jazz CD's that I had not heard and I was burnin copies like a mad man. I enjoyed his company and agreed it was unfortunate we had not met sooner. He did make me feel pretty good when he stated the HR1's sounded better than the custom system we had listened to at Westlake last week. Course he may have said that just to get that last piece of Pizza?

Here is a photo of Ken at Ken's.

I enjoyed it Ken
    Well...where do I start? I left Ken and Julie's with both a full heart and a full stomach. After a few hours at this fine couples' home had past I felt I was wearing out my welcome...I was becoming "The Thing that Wouldn't Leave"...but Ken assured me that was not the case, then Julie suggested I join them for order-in pizza...that's what friends do. Yes....friends. We listened to music and watched concert DVD's for hours. I felt 20 years younger...energized from the therapy of listening to great music on a first rate playback system, and sharing the comeraderie of a new friend with a common interest. Briefly...because I could go on and on...It's a crime that these wonderful people are being forced to leave the country. This is the kind people the USA should embrace. Like Ken said...I wish we had met sooner...I already feel like we are old pals. No "old' jokes please.

Ok...Ken's HR-1 system. JBL systems are like an Indy car...Powerful...Fast. Westlake systems are like a Formula one car....Quicker...More refined. The same parts, tuned and tweaked to get the last drop of potential out in the open. They are unmerciful to less-than-stellar recordings. They put the magic spotlight on exposing great recordings. Doesn't matter if it was recorded yesterday or 50 years ago...this is what fine studio monitors do. They make you critical without you even knowing it. If more gear was used like this in the home and consumers were less accepting of mediocrity, you can bet the recording industry would be pressured to go back and cultivate more talent like it used to. Both on the technical side and the artistic side. There is no substitute for quality...quality can't hide when it walks into the room....you're simply drawn to it (insert metaphor).

My day was truly memorable. The generous hospitality from Ken and Julie...the great music we shared...the smell of freshly burned binary...the fun stories told...it's a small world after all...and the connections with new, long lost friends....and that Diana Krall DVD...wow.

We'll keep in touch.

Thanks Ken....Thanks Julie...
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    It's a crime that these wonderful people are being forced to leave the country. This is the kind people the USA should embrace.

Ok...Ken's HR-1 system. JBL systems are like an Indy car...Powerful...Fast. Westlake systems are like a Formula one car....Quicker...More refined. The same parts, tuned and tweaked to get the last drop of potential out in the open.
    We'll keep in touch.

Thanks Ken....Thanks Julie...
    First, your more than welcome. I only wished more members would have come to visit when invited.

Wow, I don't want to sound corny but that was a very nice thing to say. Why don't you apply for work at US Immigration?

Re the system, a very accurate analogy that I hope does not offend our fellow JBL owners. After all without JBL, I doubt companies like Westlake and TAD would exist.

Who knows Ken, maybe we will end up back here some time down the road.

Good Luck and we will keep in touch.

PS: I was not kidding about the shotgun.

Ken

Sweetness

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    ... but the TAD preamp looks sweet. I hear it sounds pretty good too...
    That TAD pre-amp...how sweet it is. Silky smooth....and those seductively glowing little filaments gazing at you with warm thoughts through those big brown eyes....ooooohhhh...a mutual turn-on....yyeeeaaahhh baby.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    Comparing their carpet's condition with mine, we may start doing the same thing at my house...probably too late though. Ken didn't did make me....it just seemed like the right thing to do....but I did stop at my shoes

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    I'm really not sure about the handsome gent, he could be an imposter, but the TAD preamp looks sweet. I hear it sounds pretty good too...
    He's an imposter I say

Thread Information