Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eq questions

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    wife acceptance/approval factor

Hi Shane
    No, there is no need to remove anything! I am here to learn and to share in my love for the sound. I am all over the idea to improve the setup however possible. Thank you very much for your input. I will look into the possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by eyedoc
    Ok, I have to admit... what is WAF?
    Wife acceptance factor

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    wife acceptance/approval factor
    :dont-know

I guess that it i didn't know what it was, than I probably havn't had it

:dont-know

I guess that it i didn't know what it was, than I probably havn't had it

WAF= Wife Acceptance Factor

one of THE most important factors in loudspeaker design!

my theory is that because of the way humans interprete sound, equalizing is irrelevant when you have used quality drivers and crossover design and components. When somebody is around a corner and speaks to you, you still know who it is, but his tonal balance has shifted quite a lot. So recognition is hardly influenced by the tonal balance.

I have set up my speakers the way they are. I have no tone controls on my amp. And I enjoy about all of my CD's. Transparency and freedom of fatique [good capacitors!] are all it takes.

I like it the JBL way does it: one pot for presence, the other for brilliance. They affect large parts of the frequency spectrum and not small parts like an equalizer.

Maybe I'm blessed with my room and you should try experimenting with placement in your room.

frank

I have a need for an EQ. Any advice on this one I found on eBAy? I've never owned an EQ, but I love old crown stuff. Is it a good one?? (looks like it to me...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-VINTAGE-CRO...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, Mike

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    I'd buy that for a dollar......

even though I never used one b4 -- a paperweight or boat anchor that size would cost way more than .99 if it doesn't turn out to be your cup of tea

'....a paperweight or boat anchor that size would cost way more than .99 if it doesn't turn out to be your cup of tea.'

lol. she's a biggen alright- I just wonder if it degrades the signal by the time it runs through all of that "stuff". I haven't a clue. I do respect the Crown name, though...

In fact, I am not really sure how to bring that idea up...
    "Honey, don't you think some nice Japanese folding screens would look good behind the speakers there? I will do them in the fabric color of your choice. JBL Blue would be nice, I bet."

"Eames made some niced curved ones. Maybe I could do that, if you like...."

I have not used one for 20 years because of the understanding that they add too much distortion and usually make music sound worse.
    Hi, Kevin...

EQ's can impart phasing issues into the signal, thus "less (correction) is more (pleasing results)" with EQ's. That said, cost = filter quality. The more cost, the better the results. Mind Widget's words.

The most important aspect of proper EQ, is collecting meaningful acoustic measurements. What exactly is going on in the room...? Far too often, people "EQ to taste", and produce either a smile curve (the old Loudness contour), or something that emphasizes some frequencies in some track they like. Poor approach yields poor results.

Last weekend I was re-racking the rehearsal studio and racking-up a smaller rig for some trio work my lead singer is doing. All of my systems are oversized for those venues, so he needed something simpler. Using SmaartLIVE, I established separate EQ's settings on three EQ's (dbx1231, Ashly Protea 2.42GS (digital) and Meyer CP-10) for three separate cabinets (mains, EV wedges and some unknown wedges). I think that is 3! (3 Factorial) permutations. The dbx is running as two separate mono channels (different cabinets on each channel), as is the Meyer, while the Protea is being used in a dual-channel (stereo) mode.

Using the Earthworks M30BX, each cabinet was measured one at a time, one EQ at a time, and settings established. The results were incredible. In FFT (Transfer) mode, I could flatten each cabinet's response quite delicately, and produce a really great sound, regardless of the cabinet. Each has it's own acoustic EQ "needs" - some of the CD's are small diameter with small throats and are not pleasing sounding - but each can be, and was, tamed.

The point is, before you move your chimney, collect some high quality measurements of what is going on. Collect some real data, in a non-subjective manner. Look at the curve, and understand what is happening. Tweak the Lpads, and note the differences. Position the cabinets differently and measure again. Then, try a proper EQ and see if you can impart "taming" filtering that improves the acoustic response.

Also, as an aside, I found Onkyo's, which I thought I really loved, serously lack LF output - they are far from flat. Mine were all eBay'ed a long, long time ago. But this reminds of Widget's words, in part - you cannot EQ around gear that is producing a biased response. Start flat, stay flat.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information