Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eq questions

eq questions

Bo's thread brought up an interesting point. I know that using an eq is a love/hate topic, but assuming that there is a need for one, is there such a thing as a good one? I have not used one for 20 years because of the understanding that they add too much distortion and usually make music sound worse. Maybe this is because of the "smiling" overused by some...

I have been thinking about this for a while, and this is my plight. I have in the main listening room a pair of 100t3 for my front speakers. I have a second pair of 100t3's in the livingroom/dining room that are hooked up as 'speaker b' through the same amp/system. The pair in the living room stand infront of a regular drywall wall. These sound great. The pair in the 'theater room' sit in front of a wall of brick. These sound like they have a head-cold. I have tried several room dampening devices, and it is now much better, but still not as good as the other room. With this is mind, is my best option to try an eq? I know that the best option is to remove the fireplace as it is not safe to use in it's present condition, but that task is not at the top of the "honey do list". Any thoughts? By the way, amp is either my MacIntosh 250, of my Onkyo Integra 506.

kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by eyedoc
    Bo's thread brought up an interesting point. The pair in the 'theater room' sit in front of a wall of brick. These sound like they have a head-cold. kevin.

May I suggest the problem could be sound reflections? Try hanging a large piece of porous foam (NOT STYROFOAM) on the brick wall behind each speaker (4 times the size of the speaker) and I suspect you will hear a huge difference. Place the foam panel in the center behind the speaker.

Another solution would be to cut out a hole the size of the speaker and have the foam flush with the baffle and sticking out 1 foot all the way around the speaker. Keep us posted.

Ken

Virtually any system can be improved by subtle EQ adjustments. Unfortunately, I believe most systems with EQ are not improved due to improper EQ settings. Even with adequate measuring gear, you need to use great care in EQing. It is also very important that you get an EQ that is of the same quality or higher than the rest of your system. Do some searches... several have been recommended.

As Ken was suggesting, it is always better to focus on trying to fix the room first.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky

May I suggest the problem could be sound reflections? Try hanging a large piece of porous foam (NOT STYROFOAM) on the brick wall behind each speaker (4 times the size of the speaker) and I suspect you will hear a huge difference. Place the foam panel in the center behind the speaker.

Another solution would be to cut out a hole the size of the speaker and have the foam flush with the baffle and sticking out 1 foot all the way around the speaker. Keep us posted.

Ken
    Thanks ken, but as wify is also in the room, there is a limit to the amount of foam that I (she) can live with. The best I have come up with wo far is to use a garbage bag filled with packing peanuts behind each speaker. I found that on an AudioGone link several months ago, and it did quite a lot. Of course I still have two gargage bags in the family room now
    I have also been thinking about going to the local music store and buying recording studio foam, but again, there is that wify part...

As Ken said, try the foam so you can get an idea if this IS the problem or not. This way you could research other ways to get what you want and that has WAF!

EQ is a compromise. Every source/recording is different in detail.

The only rational approach incorporates measurement.

First thing you discover is how badly your speakers actually suck, and how incompetently you've set up your system.

I suppose experts with beaucoup experience aligning systems and rooms can do it by ear.

Not me, nope....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    As Ken said, try the foam so you can get an idea if this IS the problem or not. This way you could research other ways to get what you want and that has WAF!
    Especially if she's part of the research team.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by eyedoc
    to use a garbage bag filled with packing peanuts behind each speaker. but again, there is that wify part...
    Well, you do not want styrofoam (peanuts) it does not absorb well. You will also get reflections off the smooth surface of the plastic bag as well.

Trust me, get some foam and bevel it (bread Knife) to make it look somewhat artsy fartsy and mount it around the speakers, protruding out about 6 inches.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Especially if she's part of the research team.
    Very important note here.

I made some tall picture frames 2'x6' and put foam in them covered by grill cloth and the frames painted to match my trim in the room. My wife likes them quite a bit.

I am not saying your wife will like them or not but this is just an idea of what you can do.

Very important note here.

I made some tall picture frames 2'x6' and put foam in them covered by grill cloth and the frames painted to match my trim in the room. My wife likes them quite a bit.

I am not saying your wife will like them or not but this is just an idea of what you can do.
    This is very creative and workable solution. I will definately explore this myself. Thanks for the great tip!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    This is very creative and workable solution. I will definately explore this myself. Thanks for the great tip!

Ken
    Ken you can also use fiberglass board (like the stuff they use for HVAC ducts).

You can get it in different thicknesses and they work for different frequencies.

I had a web site at one time telling this info and I will try to find it again.
    Shane

Ken you can also use fiberglass board (like the stuff they use for HVAC ducts).

You can get it in different thicknesses and they work for different frequencies.

I had a web site at one time telling this info and I will try to find it again.
    Shane
    Fantastic, I hope you can find the link.

Thanks again. You could use some nice framing and make it quite attractive by adding some abstract wood strips using a band saw and it would look like art without compromising the function. I never considered grill cloth as a solution to covering the foam or insulation and that makes all the difference in having it look nice in a living room environment.

Very excited about the possibilities.

Ken

Another thing I did when sound deadening was not what I needed was build CD/DVD racks and hung them on the wall where I needed "sound defraction".

The other option is to cover a sound defraction panel in grill cloth.

The reason I bring this up is because sometimes a room is dead enough and does not need "deadening" but needs diffraction to break up frequencies and difffract them in many directions.

Eyedoc

I hope this thread has not taken away from what you are looking for if so PM me and I will remove my posts.

Ken Here is the web site:
    http://www.saecollege.de/reference_m...nt%20Chart.htm

Scroll down a bit.
    Shane

Ok, I have to admit... what is WAF?

Wow. Great ideas. Would you assume that regular furnature foam is essentially the same as the prefab version, after mutilation with knife of course? I really like the idea of the frame and grill material. I will have to work toward the foam around the speakers. In fact, I am not really sure how to bring that idea up...

Thread Information