Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Audiophiles really hear...?

No question about it....some CD's suck....so do some vinyl records. But the only thing I think is better about vinyl LP's is the artwork. DVD audio has a 50Khz upper bandwidth, the best analog 2" tape running at 30+ ips can get upto maybe 35-40KHz.

I knew this would draw lot's of comments
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Regardless of the money spent on home hi-fi, it can't touch the local symphony. It can't. That's exciting.
    I really like that statement, Giskard. A lot...

That's what people need to remember in all of this- musical performances (and all of the anomalies associated with it) are the one and only sound benchmark we need to strive for. Personally, I think there is no way to actually achieve perfect playback no matter what technology comes of the trees. I shoot for a synergy between components; That sometimes elusive X factor- present when you get a system just right and you have the emotion conveyed, at least. If the hair on my arms stand up and I feel moved by the music- I'm happy with that. It still holds no candle to a live performance (something we all need more of). You are so right Giskard- 'that is exiting'!!

I love vinyl (btw)- may it live forever. Hell, even my sofa is vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    ....some CD's suck....
    Yea, but as Giskard notes, soon enough they won't just suck, they simply won't.

And, I agree on the dynamics of live orchestra. Almost impossible to record, and stunning from the right seat...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    The Colton police department is looking for assistance in the murder of Colton resident Ken Haerr (aka Edgewound). He was found bludgeoned and bloody behind Denon’s Used CD Outlet in Venice, Ca.

Sergeant JA Michell stated "We suspect foul play, but can't prove anything due to a fouled, filthy crime scene causing a distorted view of what occurred. He did state however “a tall handsome fellow wearing a rather worn out "but attractive" t-shirt was seen leaving the scene carrying what could only be described as a large Didgeridoo type object. Police suspect this could be the murder weapon!

Anyone providing information leading to the arrest of the above suspect will receive a Koetzu Phono cartridge.

All tips will remain confidential.
    It's a good thing I don't live in Colton....and I'm armed with a boomerang, so back off!!

[QUOTE=edgewound]Well...yeah...alot more information in the groove....it's called dirt....and dust and distortion. Nuthin' like a needle dragging to clean out that groove.The analog warmth is also known as distortion. 96k and above recordings put vinyl in the stone-age....uh oh....here comes the barrage....
    [QUOTE]

LOL. I hear ya-
    but who ever played a guitar that clean?? Seriously? If musicians were that preoccupied with how clean instruments sounded all the time- there would be no rock and roll, or any of the great things that sprouted from it. I say dirty is good!!

But- I think the point here was that a 'well set up vinyl' system rocks, and I agree 100%. Bad vinyl set ups are an awful experience- especially to the vinyl heads! There is nothing dirty about a well thought out and cared for vinyl playback rig. I wish all my music was on vinyl (in doubles!! ). I'd trade in all my cds for good records- in a heartbeat! Not because I'm nostalgic either- I feel it's a superior media. (for now)

Talking WHATS WORSE

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Yea, but as Giskard notes, soon enough they won't just suck, they simply won't.

And, I agree on the dynamics of live orchestra. Almost impossible to record, and stunning from the right seat...
    whats worse than cds? mp3 files. Kids love them,they can stick thousands of very bad sounding songs on something they can put into there shirt pocket. Its truly pitiful to think that in a few short generations. The audiophile may be someone with a better mp3 player

[QUOTE=hapy._.face][QUOTE=edgewound]Well...yeah...alot more information in the groove....it's called dirt....and dust and distortion. Nuthin' like a needle dragging to clean out that groove.The analog warmth is also known as distortion. 96k and above recordings put vinyl in the stone-age....uh oh....here comes the barrage....

LOL. I hear ya-
    but who ever played a guitar that clean?? Seriously? If musicians were that preoccupied with how clean the instruments sounded all the time- there would be no rock and roll, or any of the great things that sprouted from it. I say dirty is good!!

But- I think the point was that a 'well set up vinyl' system rocks, and I agree 100%. Bad vinyl set ups are an awful experience- especially to the vinyl heads! There is nothing dirty about a well thought out and cared for vinyl playback rig. I secretly wish all my music was on vinyl (in doubles!! ). I'd trade in all my cds for good records- in a heartbeat! Not because I'm nostalgic either- I feel it's a superior media. IMO.
    Well, I play guitar....and regularly....but were talking about two different kinds of distortion. Purposely produced sound production versus the accuracy of RE-production.

Wow...ruffled some feathers, huh? Audiophiles....sheesh

Aqualung

the one cd that I remember being worst sounding then the LP was Jethro Tull(Aqualung). A classic song when played from the cd sounded like shit and, I think I remember there were parts missing on the cd. Ipod'err's beware when you drop your first unit.

...were talking about two different kinds of distortion. Purposely produced sound production versus the accuracy of RE-production.

That's true. My point is: All this concern over distortion levels and I bet you can't even hear it when properly set up (in an A/B). That's not a jab- it's just the truth. One thing is for sure though- the well done vinyl set up will convey more than the cd will. Period. 3D extraction vs 2D. I wish you could hear how good my vinyl sounds and when I play the same recording on CD in direct comparison, you'd agree. My player is not anything special with regard to brand and quality. I'd say it's a fair component. However, I have 2 pretty good CD players and I still prefer the vinyl.

No question about it....some CD's suck....so do some vinyl records. But the only thing I think is better about vinyl LP's is the artwork. DVD audio has a 50Khz upper bandwidth, the best analog 2" tape running at 30+ ips can get upto maybe 35-40KHz.

I knew this would draw lot's of comments

I was referring to CD (red book). DVd audio is another ball game.

VINYL

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Actually the original audiophile vanished along with vinyl.

I mean hello, how many of you play vinyl?

No CD player on the face of the earth can hold a candle to a fine vinyl replay setup. That is an undisputed fact.

There is so much more information in those grooves that I fail to see how someone can use CD as a yardstick to draw any conclusions about anything.
    This fellow seems to like vinyl.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

..."hey....look at this new cable I spent 15 grand on"...yeah, great.
    Agree, BUT...a good cable, maybe 15 grand is a "little" high, might give more value than changing an amp.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by jim3860
    This fellow seems to like vinyl.
    Damn! That HVAC vent is throwing off my entire WORLD!!!!! lol. (see pic above) I saw this on Audiogon, too. Pretty impressive, er um obsessive.

Voice of reason

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I was referring to CD (red book). DVd audio is another ball game.
    Thank you. Ian...you understand what I'm saying....because you're not the typical audiophile and understand that the limitations of analog recording have been surpassed by the ever evolving and advancing of no-contact-surface distortion digital recording technology.

Nowhere did I say anything about MP3's or 16 bit...go back and read my comments fellas...I said 96Khz and above sampling rates which translates into 48Khz upperbandwidth which surpasses the very best analog...period.

I also said some CD's suck and so do some vinyl records...depends on who is at the controls and in the studio.

I'm done with this.

Well...yeah...alot more information in the groove....it's called dirt....and dust and distortion. Nuthin' like a needle dragging to clean out that groove.The analog warmth is also known as distortion. 96k and above recordings put vinyl in the stone-age....uh oh....here comes the barrage....
    As the late Kerry Packer would say.

"Son...your when I want your opinion I''ll &^%$#@% ask for it!"

Thread Information