Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Audiophiles really hear...?

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    A good Receiver or some good separates and some JBl'S and you will never have a need for an EQ.
    So how do you compensate for a horrible 60hz peak, or 400hz room resonances? I'm sorry, but sometimes an equalizer is just plain necessary. BTW - you may want to read Giskard's post again - I think you're actually disagreeing with him...

John

Eq can be powerfull tools and as such they can help or distroy if use not properly

my bad

you are right Johnaec,it was a long night and I did misread Giskard. Sorry Giskard! However me being one of the few who doesn't even know what a 60hz peak or a 400hz peak means,I must admit that I'm out of my league here.I try to let my ears tell me what sounds good.With my Pionner and my JBL's I don't need to be concerned with peaks and such. I don't say that with sarcasim,I just really enjoy my music the way it sounds.My friends enjoy my system as well and some of the kids of my friends can't believe how it sounds and when I tell them that everything they see here is from the 60's and 70's they are in total shock.I don't have the knowledge of most people on this forum so peaks and such is not really a concern with me, I like to put in a cd and just listen to the music.I think if I had the knowlege of most of you I probally would find fault with my setup.But then what fun would that be? I enjoy my setup too much to be concerned with with all those peaks.I like to keep things simple, I have found that when I use JBl's I really don't have to use my bass knob or trebel knob on my receiver.I think this is why I like JBL's because the sound is always good no matter where your control's are.In my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    So how do you compensate for a horrible 60hz peak, or 400hz room resonances? I'm sorry, but sometimes an equalizer is just plain necessary. BTW - you may want to read Giskard's post again - I think you're actually disagreeing with him...

John
    I have to side with EQ's here. But it's the same thing all over again- if you don't have the ears to notice the faults in room acoustics- you don't need an EQ. Agreed? If you don't hear any noticeable quality between component "A" and component "B"- then opt for the cheaper one. If you are completely satisfied with your system the way it is (I think few are) then I envy you. Even it uses (what I perceive to be) lesser quality components- it's YOUR system and it only needs to make YOU happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

But a word on overpriced equipment: Not everyone is after the best sounding gear. There are a few people that couldn't care less about the way it plays music. They seek statis, acceptance (from others in thier group), and aethestics. Make no mistake- these people are not audiophiles- they are blinded consumers. I don't wish to be catagorized as such.

Bo,

The 4345's shit over most most speakers and just about all so called HiFi speakers..period.

You have a relatively large and somewhat live room at home. I would agree that some careful Eq would help your situation and I recall we did and A/ B with and without Eq.

My room is smaller and I find I get what you have described but only when the LPads are very carefully calibrated so the system is Flat at near field location and the enclosures are carefully located with absolute symmetry.

For example tonight I was playing a recent live acoustic recording of James Reyne (a Cold Chisel tune) done at the Forum Theatre. I thought it sounded odd and I later realised I had left a test jig on one of the horn filters. When this was corrected everything fell into place and the candle wax just flowed.

My point is the closer you get to reality, the more important and audible certain kinds errors or aberations become.

By the same token the human ear and mind is relatively tolerant of other less objectional errors and distortions.

HiFi buffs grow tolerant of certain sounds and presentations after a while and the mind fills in the gaps particularly when there is no reference for comparison.

Incidentally, I don't use an Eq but I sure would like to try one with a skilled pair of ears and an RTA to help out.

Happy listening.

Ian

EQ's everywhere

EQ's have a place anywhere. also people do not seem to think about the filters in alot of speakers already. I would say no matter what equipment you have, if you put an RTA on your system you will find some areas that need HELP.

It's all a matter of taste, budget, and how much gear you want to have. Every side of the argument has some snobbery going on, so hang out with your own clique and make fun of the other guys....just like junior high school. I've heard, built and set up systems that benefitted from EQ....usually live sound rigs. I prefer to have an accurate as possible speaker system and minimalist electronics to see how well the recording is produced. With enough EQ you can almost make any recording sound decent. On the other hand, most EQ's in the home system are "smiling" at you while a perfectly good recording is screwed.

And that's my opinion.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    The 4345's shit over most most speakers and just about all so called HiFi speakers..period.
    Ian
    Well Ian, are you the person I refered to in my post abowe?

Rolf

Very good read

Good thread Bo, with some great replies.

TI Domes story is similar to experinces I have had that I won't go into.

It's pretty hard to make a living room or den acoustically perfect and have it still look like a regular room. The listening room we were in last week (Westlake) looked like *&^% but was NOT completely dead like an Anechoic Chamber. Glenn prefers a room with a bit of life to it. Speaking of Anechoic Chambers, if you have never been in one they are very uncomfortable to sit in. Steve Schell mentioned it the other day "it's almost eerie feeling" and I agreed with him " I felt claustraphobic in one a number of years ago". If I were a single man, I would definitely hang baffles from the ceiling and build bass traps in the corners. Unfortunately, unless you have extremely deep pockets to purchase existing solutions or can afford to hire an engineer to design and then build your listening environment, you are almost sure to need some EQ.

I also felt several members hit the nail on the head when stating that personal taste is a major factor as well.

Anyway, its a great read.

Ken

Alex Lancaster
    I guess the EQ´s black legend goes back 20-30 years ago, when We adjusted the sliders to look like the Golden Gate bridge, to get that horrible "disco" sound, my room and ears are not even close to "perfect", and everybody over 50 (me), will get an unpleasant surprise if they check their hearing, specially in HF.

Like it or not...

If you are reading this, you are an audiophile.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    If you are reading this, you are an audiophile.

Widget

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

I think the Whites...

I think the white EQs really woke up my A7s.... a real change for the better with them in-line...

even if they are set flat....

with them out of the signal path, the big boxes seem dull and muffled....

and some subs and 075s and we be in bidness....

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I suspect I was too vague once again. Oh well. :dont-know
    You were clear, but sometimes others fail to comprehend what they read.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    On the other hand, most EQ's in the home system are "smiling" at you while a perfectly good recording is screwed. And that's my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex
    We adjusted the sliders to look like the Golden Gate bridge...

Thread Information