Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What do Audiophiles really hear...?

It's a shame isn't it ? If you want a high quality version of new music you're pretty much out of luck unless it got made on SACD or DVD Audio. With all the hype around ipods, mp3s and downloadable music, the last thing anyone seems to want (except us) is songs that are 1gb each.

I may sound like a vinyl junkie (and I am to some degree) but I realize that the new high-end digital formats certainly have the potential to equal if not surpass the venerable record. It's just a matter of bits and the new formats have added a lot more information to the bitstream.

I'm still purposely avoiding SACD - I don't want to buy my music collection all over again....

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    I also agree that properly played back vinyl has that something we all crave, once heard correctly! Sadly they no longer really produce quality vinyl with popular music.

Its OK to have an play audiophile pressings from specialty retailers, but what do you do when you want or need to play current and new music? Ill never dispute that proper analog recordings on vinyl are still the best, but, there isnt anymore new and CURRENT analog vinyl records!

The fact that I grew up on vinyl through JBL and Altec is what made me so critical of audio gear, and recordings in the first place! :dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut

I'm still purposely avoiding SACD - I don't want to buy my music collection all over again....

jblnut
    I feel you on this!

However, from my point of veiw, as using music as part of my buisiness, and needing to have hot and current as well as new, forward trend setting music, higher rez digital playback is an inevitable fact we are all going to have to face. For the DJ, we now have available to us, downloads in WAV format, that really sound terrific, they kick, the bottom is good. Now, I have to invest in the hardware and software to play this, but, otoh, once you do, the music download is less expensive than the vinyl record! $2.99 for a single track! So, it has its redeeming point to me!

Also, usually, with computers and electronics, as new updates become available, you can purchase and download these as well, instead of buying new hardware!

The fact of the matter is we are not going back to vinyl, and unless your buying specialty vinyl, the quality of most of whats left of the vinyl pressed these days STINKS! As well as availability of new music on vinyl is dwindling!

I have been an avid digital hater, BUT, I heard, and played with the new download WAV files, through the new medium, its good.

If they are making technology available to the dance and DJ markets, the consumer will get it too. I`ve reached a point where I no longer care how I play it, as long as it sounds good!

When there are websites with popular music of all kinds, jazz, rock, C & W, and everything else, if the sonics are good, I can see it working!
    scottyj

jblnut
    I agree. However, there are so few titles out in SACD or 24bit DVD-Audio it almost does not matter.

One lament I have is that I could never find most of my collection in the newer formats due to how few of the recordings are re-released with the higher resolution.

But since most of my music collection was stolen, since I must start over, I'd rather do it in high resolution formats.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Yeah they boost the HF and LF when compressing so "it has more bass must be better!"

that's why BOSE sound so "good"

Back in the days of analog, people would have spent ungodly sums to get a first generation dupe of a 1/2 track master tape. Hell, people paid $50 just for the UHQR records. Sure they were about as good as vinyl could get, but they were still a far cry from the master... high res digital is essentially a clone of the master tape... I agree that too few are available, but I am happy to spend just a few extra bucks to get them when I find one that seems interesting.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Back in the days of analog, people would have spent ungodly sums to get a first generation dupe of a 1/2 track master tape. Hell, people paid $50 just for the UHQR records. Sure they were about as good as vinyl could get, but they were still a far cry from the master... high res digital is essentially a clone of the master tape... I agree that too few are available, but I am happy to spend just a few extra bucks to get them when I find one that seems interesting.

Widget
    I totally agree with you Widget. Among others I can recommend TELARC, MFSL, Ryco Gold CD's. These recordings, digitally re-mastered older records from analogue masters sound much better then the rest of the "crap" you find in stores now days.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Hell, people paid $50 just for the UHQR records.
    Some of us even bought two copies of those things.
    People who make sound their business depend on JBL for their sound.

Thread Information