Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Market value

Market value

It would appear that the market on Ebay favors the Pioneer over the Marantz, the Marantz 2275 is going for a fully refurbished unit at about $400.00 and a Pioneer SX1980 that's classified as non working went for over $1000.00. I have been watching ebay closely for the SX1980 and saw 2 units in the last 2 weeks go for almost if not over $1000.00 for non working units.A fully operational SX1980 is going around $1700.00. There is a Marantz 2275 on ebay right now that has some issues and it is only at 100+ dollars with 18 hours left.We all know how big ebay is and let's face it,we may not like the prices there for JBL'S but it is a good indicator of what the market is.

Note... Moderator can you please move this to the thread"Amplifier Decison" that is where I wanted to post and accidentally posted a new thread. Thanks Jim
    Last edited by kingjames; 01-24-2006 at 09:27 PM. Reason: inserted into wrong thread

SX-1980

King Jim: The ebay buyers looking for big receiver power would definately prefer the SX-1980 at 270 WPC compared to 2275 rated at 75 WPC.

norealtalent
    ...and the system I could build with that $1700 would be truly amazing in comparrison...

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    It would appear that the market on Ebay favors the Pioneer over the Marantz, the Marantz 2275 is going for a fully refurbished unit at about $400.00 and a Pioneer SX1980 that's classified as non working went for over $1000.00. I have been watching ebay closely for the SX1980 and saw 2 units in the last 2 weeks go for almost if not over $1000.00 for non working units.A fully operational SX1980 is going around $1700.00. There is a Marantz 2275 on ebay right now that has some issues and it is only at 100+ dollars with 18 hours left.We all know how big ebay is and let's face it,we may not like the prices there for JBL'S but it is a good indicator of what the market is.

Note... Moderator can you please move this to the thread"Amplifier Decison" that is where I wanted to post and accidentally posted a new thread. Thanks Jim
    Jim:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Marantz 2275 a 75 watt per-channel receiver and a Pioneer SX1980 270 watts per-channel? Not sure if that's a fair comparison??

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    King Jim: The ebay buyers looking for big receiver power would definately prefer the SX-1980 at 270 WPC compared to 2275 rated at 75 WPC.
    Riessen, maybe I'm wrong but I always thought that the more Wattage you had the clearer the sound.I remember hearing somewhere that high wattage does not necessarly mean high volume but cleaner music. What's your thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog
    Jim:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Marantz 2275 a 75 watt per-channel receiver and a Pioneer SX1980 270 watts per-channel? Not sure if that's a fair comparison??
    I am not speaking of wattage here, once you start blasting speakers to their extreme distortion is no longer an issue. I am talking about vintage receivers and what they sound like period.You can not compare these two receivers power wise because there is no comparison, however I was talking about clean sound,receiver_vs_ receiver at a moderate volume level.Is a Marantz cleaner sound than a Pioneer? The market doesn't think so.

zevic

LOL Off topic

Hi I am just trying to talk to dj dog just askin lol did u get my message. if u didnt check your private mesages.

zevic

lol kingjames i know you are lookin at this thread did u get my mesage?

didja get my message if you know plz help lol thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames
    Riessen, maybe I'm wrong but I always thought that the more Wattage you had the clearer the sound.I remember hearing somewhere that high wattage does not necessarly mean high volume but cleaner music. What's your thoughts on this?
    I'm probably not the one to give a good answer to this. You need one of our electronics "gurus" to speak up.

Right now I'm running the bottom end of my 4350's on 600 WPC, RMS ( a friend of mine runs his 4350's on 1000 WPC of bridged Crowns) - mostly because that's when I have and not that they require it. The result is PlEnTy of headroom. At levels I can't stand to listen too, the amps are just idling and the outputs are barely warm.

About 20 years ago I was running a pair of my Sovereigns full tilt, listening to Sultans Of Swing as I remember. The walls were bulging and then I heard a snap and the right channel lost all the highs. I was running them on a power amp that had a rated output of 100 WPC. It was aparantly not enough power to handle the peaks. I learned from that experience that compression drivers do not like square wave. I sent the driver (LE85) into JBL and their comment was "VOICE COIL SHATTERED". They repaired it under warranty - bless their souls.

From that day on I have always powered my speakers with amps that have plenty of headroom. How much is enough? I don't know but double the handling ability of the speakers is what I shoot for. I run a pair of L100's of a 200 WPC RMS amp and they sing. I've got a pair of electrostatics that sound like crap on less than 200.

You need to ask some of the other guys out there who can "splain" to you in better terms.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    I'm probably not the one to give a good answer to this. You need one of our electronics "gurus" to speak up.

Right now I'm running the bottom end of my 4350's on 600 WPC, RMS ( a friend of mine runs his 4350's on 1000 WPC of bridged Crowns) - mostly because that's when I have and not that they require it. The result is PlEnTy of headroom. At levels I can't stand to listen too, the amps are just idling and the outputs are barely warm.

About 20 years ago I was running a pair of my Sovereigns full tilt, listening to Sultans Of Swing as I remember. The walls were bulging and then I heard a snap and the right channel lost all the highs. I was running them on a power amp that had a rated output of 100 WPC. It was aparantly not enough power to handle the peaks. I learned from that experience that compression drivers do not like square wave. I sent the driver (LE85) into JBL and their comment was "VOICE COIL SHATTERED". They repaired it under warranty - bless their souls.

From that day on I have always powered my speakers with amps that have plenty of headroom. How much is enough? I don't know but double the handling ability of the speakers is what I shoot for. I run a pair of L100's of a 200 WPC RMS amp and they sing. I've got a pair of electrostatics that sound like crap on less than 200.

You need to ask some of the other guys out there who can "splain" to you in better terms.
    After frying many-a high frequency phragm back in the early DJ days, I finally listened to the guys at Antech Labs in St. Louis and beefed up my power amps to get the headroom I needed. My general rule for power sources is to (at least) double the rated power of the speaker. I use EV S-152's for some of my small club gigs. They are rated at 200 watts continuous pink noise (whatever that means). I like to power them with a QSC PLX3420 (700 wpc @ 8 ohms). I've gotten over 1000 shows (4 hours average) from some of my S-152's without a single user-caused problem.

You can never have too much headroom. You speaker components will thank you for it. (Are we still on topic??).

If you wanted a fair comparison Marantz Vs Pioneer compare the marantz 2500 to the Pioneer SX-1980. Both of these were the top recievers. If you wanted to compare a Marantz 2275 your rival with Pioneer would be the Pioneer SX 850 or SX-950. Marantz and Pioneer head to head? I like the sound of Pioneer yet the Marantz always wins in price and collectibility.......that is before the operation was moved from california to Japan.

pioneer -marantz

pioneer call them ,The silver face receivers. They are the best receiver ever built period. All others tryed to build a receiver that would compare to the pioneer sx models. some came close, like the marantz- sansui etc but all they can do is follow the leader. pioneer sx 1980 model output is 270 rms and 330 rms at cliping. pioneer even at low volume would have a better sound than the marantz. all marantz receiver build in that era have a high distortion rate. turn the volume handle at 11 or 12 oclock and you would here what I am talking about pioneer cost more but my its worth it. I sold my receiver to build custom jbl speaker. I wish I still had it

Nightbrace
    The bottom line King James, is that the higher the power rating the better the "perceived" quality, the fact of the matter is that, for most systems 50 watts a channel RMS is plenty. The higher you go up the Marantz/Pioneer chain, the more features you will get, although you probably won't even use them, and the better the tuners get, but not that much. Case in point my Pioneer SX-780 was identical to the SX-1080, no need for more, so why spend more? The tuner on my Pioneer SX-737, actually performs better than the 1080, go figure.

But people pay to say that they have the biggest baddest receiver, as the Ebay prices would dictate. I would suggest getting a decent Pioneer/Marantz like te SX-780 or marantz 2238 and work your way up. And if you have any of the higher powered receivers to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    ..if you have any of the higher powered receivers to sell them.
    Good advice- the market seems to be EXTREMELY ripe for the high powered silver faced Pioneers. I have an SX-790 (black face) that probably won't get a $100 bid- yet it's in PERFECT condition. Same performance (sonically) as the bigger boys, but not as collectable. Great tuner, though!

Market Value?

What's the value in market value? I have seen L100s go for over $1000 a pair on eBay several times... what does that prove??? It proves there are people willing to pay $1000 for a pair. It doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the sound... in this case it doesn't even have any bearing on the collectability or rarity either...

The Marantz 2275 vs. the Pioneer SX1980... I think the color of blue light the Marantz produces is prettier than the silver dials on the Pioneers. I am not being flippant by the way... I think this is as relevant as any of their specs... if I were looking to get a Pioneer, I'd probably look for the SX1010, but that's just me. If I want sonic nirvana, I'll look elsewhere, but if I am after a receiver on steroids, the Marantz 2500 with the amplifier section of the Marantz 510 amp and the o-scope is the one I'd get... or maybe I'd get a big Quad amp just for kicks... in reality my Marantz 2275 gets used once every couple of years as it is, so I doubt I'll be buying any receivers anytime soon.

I am not really opposed to these things... I've owned gear from Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, Kenwood, Teac, and Sony... but I have also owned gear from McIntosh, Threshold, GAS, PS Audio, and Electrocompaniet... in my opinion the second group are superior to the first in sonics, aesthetic appeal, build quality, and when the time came for it, in resale value.

I have owned other brands too, but these were less consistent... I've had both good and bad from B+K, Adcom, SAE and Phase Linear for example.

Widget

Thread Information