Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 60 anniversary

Yup, sorry ass marketing indeed! Very sorry ass!

Reissue the classic 375, updated with a Be diaphragm, and charge $2000ea! And people will buy this! If they made and sold 2000 units at 2G,s a pop, thats a paltry 4mil!

The R & D and tooling were done years ago, so this could be a great thing all the way around. Both for JBL users and JBL.

As long as they sound great, people would really buy these, and they would sell out quick.

Lansing Signature 375Be, Limted Edition, Made in the U.S.A.! The collectors choice!
    scottyj

Scott, they need to do something beyond an alnico 375Be. That was introduced by TAD in 1975 and is called the TD-4001. It's current retail price is $2150 and is exactly what you are talking about... except it has a different foilcal and is made in Japan. There is nothing wrong with the 375 or the TD-4001, but I think JBL has progressed beyond the 375, Be or no. I'd be interested in seeing what they do come out with.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by TimG
    OK, I'm sorry for getting people's hopes up, but I thought the humor would make it obvious that it wasn't real.
    Actually it wasn't funny at all and I'm real glad you deleted it. JBL is quite serious about not talking about product until it's release date, especially this year. That fact was just reiterated again for the upteenth time a few minutes ago via email.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Scott, they need to do something beyond an alnico 375Be. That was introduced by TAD in 1975 and is called the TD-4001. It's current retail price is $2150 and is exactly what you are talking about... except it has a different foilcal and is made in Japan. There is nothing wrong with the 375 or the TD-4001, but I think JBL has progressed beyond the 375, Be or no. I'd be interested in seeing what they do come out with.

Widget
    Whether or not JBL has progressed beyond the 375 is not the question!

But, the 375 is classic JBL, and one of the devices that made the name JBL what it is, so, I still feel there is a market for a collectible re-issue of the 375.

Seems to work for other manufacturers in other types of markets!

One legacy product is too much to ask for?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    I'm trying to be impressed with the TL260, but it's not working. The end text in that article is contradictory on the performance of high freq dispersion, and the "industrial design" is very, very cheap looking. A huge disappointment...an insult to the 250ti's legacy...and to JBL's 60th anniversary.

They better sound awfully good....'cause they look cheap.
    they look like Studio L transducers in a 250 box for sure..

Hopefully that's not the same speakers ( tweeters mids, midbass) as in the studio L but it looks close. That would be a MAJOR disappointment if that were the case.

But then those speakers will most likely never be sold in the US but are most likely for Europe and other countries.

well, we'll see how they sound...I guess I'll have to fly to Europe to hear those only to find the store is closed...

http://www.jbl60th.jp/

If anyone speaks japanese...

You can notice in the history section of this site some flags on the top, if you click on them you can see which ones were the flagship JBL speakers over the years... Now click on the 2006 flag...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomax
    Now click on the 2006 flag...
    That's just MEAN!

Here, from Harman Pro magazine:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin
    Wow! When they print "Click to enlarge," they aren't kidding. The pic is huge.
    Out.

Steve Gonzales

I'm a little disappointed with the way they look. I know that seems very superficial, but I would think that a statement speaker would look a bit more exotic, especially for that kinda loot. These look sorta cheap. As for Scotty j's idea for a special issue 375Be., that would be a major stroke of genius!. TAD may have taken JBL's large format design to the next level, but, they are not JBL's, as good as the TAD's are. As I recall, the Century Gold edition of the L100 sold for $5,000.00. It is that sort of limited edition marketing that makes sense. Hell, I think JBL currently continues to produce the 375 for some market. Didn't Don McRitchie mention he saw the production line on one his visits to JBL Northridge? I know it would be a tough to sell to for the JBL top brass, having the 435Be. on the market at the same time. I can't help but love that idea though.

The picture of the TL260 looks like a rendering from a computer generated 3-D model. Like many of the pictures of products on JBL's consumer website, it doesn't look great. But when I have seen actual pictures of the products (Studio L, Performance, Array series, etcetera), they look much better than the renderings.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil H
    The picture of the TL260 looks like a rendering from a computer generated 3-D model. Like many of the pictures of products on JBL's consumer website, it doesn't look great. But when I have seen actual pictures of the products (Studio L, Performance, Array series, etcetera), they look much better than the renderings.
    The Studio Ls are a much better looking speaker than any of the pics on the internet. So I would think the same is true for the TL260. My question, is the $6K for each or a pair?

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    My question, is the $6K for each or a pair?
    Oh surely you jest? Even at "only" $4,568.74 USD, that ought to buy you two plastic speakers. Kidding! But did I miss where anyone else posted this link to the JBL L260 Technical White Paper? Sorry if this is old info.

I think they look good with the grilles on. I am not a fan of silver cones and trim either but the bottom line is how do they sound?? I would like to hear them, especially next to a pair of L250Ti's. Now that would be a fun comparison.

Rob

can they make all the drive black?

Thread Information