Thread: Upgrading the 2441?

pangea

Upgrading the 2441?

Has anyone here tried to replace the diaphragm on a 2441 with the Ti dia of a 2445?

If so, was there an audible difference and would you say it was an improvement?

Will the frequency response, become that of the 2445 or something in between?

Will the sound be more in your face, take no prisoner, kind of crispy sound, like the 2445?

I know, that's a lot of questions, but maybe someone might be able and willing to help me out here before, I start taking the drivers apart.

BR
    Roland

Have you read this

Hi pangea

Have you read this thread:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=2861
    Maybe you could find something useful in there. Maybe there is other useful treads at this forum, but you have already search it I presume.

Regards
    Flodstroem

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem
    Hi pangea

Have you read this thread:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=2861
    Maybe you could find something useful in there. Maybe there is other useful treads at this forum, but you have already search it I presume.

Regards
    Yes, thank you for the link, I've read it, but it's mainly about the differences between various driver motors.

I still haven't been able to find a thread that shows/explains what differences it makes to replace/swap the dias on the 2441 and the 2445.

BR
    Roland

Found this

Hi pangea

Yes, thank you for the link, I've read it, but it's mainly about the differences between various driver motors.
    Yes I thought you have read it

This thread was interesting, especially the comments from Mr Widget in post #4. But there are others who comments the differences in sound between the large format compression drivers in this link.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=1308

Regards
    Flodstroem

Mant listeners prefer the aluminum dia to the titanium, but they are much more expensive. A nice alternative is to use the 2450SL diaphragm which is coated with aquaplas to dampen the nastyness.

I have (4) 2435HPL drivers with the Be dia. I have only put a sweep tone through them and haven't heard music....but I can tell you, it's the smoothest by ear driver JBL makes.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Mant listeners prefer the aluminum dia to the titanium, but they are much more expensive. A nice alternative is to use the 2450SL diaphragm which is coated with aquaplas to dampen the nastyness.

I have (4) 2435HPL drivers with the Be dia. I have only put a sweep tone through them and haven't heard music....but I can tell you, it's the smoothest by ear driver JBL makes.

I have just finished replacing the diaphragms in my 2441's to those from my 2445's and let me tell you right away, I simply cannot understand why so many of you yanks, prefer the Alu dias???

After having listened to one of my absolute favorite records, LA4 "Just friends" with Laurindo Almeida, Ray Brown, Jeff Hamilton and Bud Shank. This old Concord vinyl has it all and for the first time this evening, all the minute details have emerged from the record and it's almost as if I've got a new record and the resolution with all the micro dynamics have magically appeared.
    Now I can hear the air blowing from Bud Shanks saxophone, I can hear all the subtle details of the fingers slide over the instruments, the location of the instruments can be pinpointed down to an inch, where Laurindo Almeida is standing slightly to the left, Ray Brown center and Bud shank slightly to the right and Jeff Hamilton clearly behind them.
    On other records I can even hear the air moving in and out on singers and it feels as if I could almost look down their throats to see what they had for breakfast.
    So once again, I CANNOT understand why the Alu dia, is the preferred one over there? It's as if a curtain has been removed, that's how I feel after the swap. It's amazing, that's what it is!

It would be interesting to compare the ribbed aquaplas 2450 dias with the 2445 dias, some day.

BR
    Roland

hi pangea,

I have a pair of 2440 with 2445 diaphragms. Send me the 2441 alu diaphragms then will you? since you like the titanium better?

I'd like to hear from you again after you have lived with the 2445 diaphragms for 2 weeks and then change back to the 2441 diaphragms, tell us how that sounds.

when you change something, most of the time you think it sounds better because you hear more detail etc, but this can be quite fatiqueing and wears you out after while

my home base [2420 with alu diaphragms] alway sound the best in the end, that, for me, is always the real test

frank

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by frank23
    hi pangea,

I have a pair of 2440 with 2445 diaphragms. Send me the 2441 alu diaphragms then will you? since you like the titanium better?

I'd like to hear from you again after you have lived with the 2445 diaphragms for 2 weeks and then change back to the 2441 diaphragms, tell us how that sounds.

when you change something, most of the time you think it sounds better because you hear more detail etc, but this can be quite fatiqueing and wears you out after while

my home base [2420 with alu diaphragms] alway sound the best in the end, that, for me, is always the real test

frank
    Well, I'm quite used to the sound of the 2445's and about a year ago I had those 2445's on top of my old Sovereign inspired speakers for almost a year, without any sign of fatigue, what so ever. On the contrary, I found it difficult to do much els around the house, although I didn't have the holographic sound stage that I now have, due to a fully active setup with a Behringer Ultradrive, which I didn't have back then, so I guess it will only become even more difficult to leave the sweet spot now.

As for the old Alu dias, I will have to put them in the 2445's for my son to play around with for a while. He's only playing Hip Hop and trance, anyway.

BR
    Roland

Thread Information