Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier decision

Quote Originally Posted by jim3860
    ...and thinking over what you and bo said earlier about the GFP-750 preamp. considering it does have xlr inputs and outputs, And im sure much better analog abilitys, Than my sony. it only seems to make sense to me to purchase it, to use for 2 channel stereo stuff. cds and music off the tuner. then purchase a quality cd player with xlr outputs also. Is there any quality seperate tuners that you can recomend that utilize xlr outputs? THANKS JIM
    When I was using my Adcom, I found the balanced output helped immensely in ridding me of the GL problems... for sources I used both balanced and unbalanced... it didn't seem to matter they both sounded equally good and equally quiet. Also be aware there is only one pair of balanced ins... so if you wanted to use two sets of balanced sources you need a patch bay or a switch of some sort.

Widget

Nightbrace
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nakamichi-PA-7-S...QQcmdZViewItem

it looks like I'd have to pay a lot more. But it looks neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    Um, because you were actually alive when audio meant something to people.
    That's my question... why doesn't audio mean anything to younger people... I was hooked at 15. I think many of us were...

Are you knocking my Sony?
    Not exactly... I don't know anything about it, but I thought the name was hilarious.

Mr. Widget, would you care to indulge me on the 5 levels?
    They aren't set in stone... think of it as bad amps, acceptable amps, good amps, very good amps, and outstanding amps...

All of my amps have always been in the good and very good camp... I've bought and quickly sold some lesser amps... and never been able to afford the outstanding ones.

Widget

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nakamichi-PA-7-S...QQcmdZViewItem

it looks like I'd have to pay a lot more. But it looks neat.
    Hey! First off- that is a flagship model (but good eye!). Second thing- that buyer will not get the opening bid at that ransom. If he does- I will be very surprised!!! I was thinking of the integrated SR series (at the prices I was mentioning)... Search "completed items" and use "STASIS" as the search word. This will give you more of a street value.

Nightbrace
    gotcha, I don't think my Sony or Fisher are quite to the outstanding level, but I think they are both at the very good level. The Pioneer on the good level on that scale.

LOL, yeah what a name for the amp on the Sony, it just means Class A DC amplification.

Jim, Chiming in a little late, I use Audio Experience's Balanced A1 tube preamp http://www.ys-audio.com/ made in Hong Kong. I've actually bought two of these little gems. One I use at the bar in SD, the other at my home in AZ. Point to point wiring, very good quality for the $$. Then I have QSC's for amps at the bar and a couple of MAC daddy's here at home. YS-Audio is listed on Audiogon under Audio Experience. Good Luck
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Thumbs up GFP-750

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    When I was using my Adcom, I found the balanced output helped immensely in ridding me of the GL problems... for sources I used both balanced and unbalanced... it didn't seem to matter they both sounded equally good and equally quiet. Also be aware there is only one pair of balanced ins... so if you wanted to use two sets of balanced sources you need a patch bay or a switch of some sort.

Widget
    yes I noticed that earlier on ebay when i did a search. Is there any sort of switching box that has mutipule ins and outs that your aware of? Also is there any high Quality tuners that you know of that has xlr outputs? THANKS SO MUCH for spending all this time and effort with me on this JIM

Nightbrace
    That's my question... why doesn't audio mean anything to younger people... I was hooked at 15. I think many of us were...
    To answer, its more the media and marketing that drives sales in both the recordings of the actual music and the equipment used to reproduce it. Why do you think the IPOD is so popular, because it sounds the best?

The competition in the 70's was fierce and it forced companies to make things better in order to compete. Now it comes down to what is marketed better, have you paid attention to the number of ads running for the Bose systems, I think its a joke, but then again I see a lot of my friends who have them and go nuts for them, and even show them off to me.

My generation is ignorant to what is out there, not so much because we don't want to have good sounding gear, but because most people my age view the Best Buy equipment as GREAT, I was one of them, but once I heard the Marantz 2226, I was hooked.

Unfortunatly, most aren't that lucky and would not even consider buying something that was made 30 years ago. I thought it was worth a shot for $20, and I was there with my roommate when I bought it, and he said to me, "Are you nuts, my grandpa had something like that, its a piece of junk." And he's an engineer.

Most of my friends know about stores like Tweeter that sell higher end gear, and a few of my buddies have decent systems, but the problem is that no one today can afford to spend the money needed to experience what you experienced when you were 15 with new gear at a reasonable price.
    Not that the equipment and speakers in your time was cheap, it was most certainly not, but even the lowest model would sound fantastic, as were many of the entry level speakers like the Dynaco A-25's, Advents, and heck even the L100's weren't too expensive.

This is especially true for speakers, none can be bought for under $1000 to rival even my L36's. So how else is someone supposed to know what they are missing if they truly can't afford it, or truly have no way of finding out when they are content with headphones and MP3's?

I read in my newspaper, The Daily Illini (University of Illinois), in a blind trial with identical stereo systems, I don't remember the equipment used, but less than 10% could tell any difference between a MP3 and a CD.

you are absolutely right on all accounts.

To answer, its more the media and marketing that drives sales in both the recordings of the actual music and the equipment narketed to reproduce it. Why do you think the IPOD is so popular, because it sounds the best?

The competition in the 70's was fierce and it forced companies to make things better in order to compete. Now it comes down to what is marketed better, have you paid attention to the number of ads running for the Bose systems, I think its a joke, but then again I see a lot of my friends who have them and go nuts for them, and even show them off to me.

My generation is ignorant to what is out there, not so much because we don't want to have good sounding gear, but because it truly is not out there and most people my age view the Best Buy equipment as GREAT, I was one of them, but once I heard the Marantz 2226, I was hooked, but most don't have the chance to even know what Hi-fidelity is and would not even consider buying something that was made 30 years ago. I thought it was worth a shot for $20, and I was there with my roommate when I bought it, and he said to me, "Are you nuts, my grandpa had something like that, its a piece of junk." And he's an engineer.

Most of my friends know about stores like Tweeter that sell higher end gear, and a few of my buddies have decent systems, but the problem is that no one today can afford to spend the money needed to experience what you experienced when you were 15 with new gear at a reasonable price especially not speakers, none can be bought for under $1000 to rival even my L36's. So how else is someone supposed to know what they are missing if they truly don't know?

Not that the receivers in your time were cheap, they were most certainly not, but even the lowest model would sound fantastic, not true today.
    You are so right and all I have to say to this is that I'm glad I'm a baby boomer, because there was never a better time to grow up then in the 60's and 70's

Nightbrace
    sorry, I was revising, please re-read.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I just complete this project:

It is not a toy and sounds impressive.
    I like this guy.

Nightbrace-

You're on the right track- hit all the pawn shops, thrift stores, garage sales, etc you can. My L212's were $50 last week. Now I just bought L300's plus some old Audio Research gear all for $200!! It 'really pays to discover'. The reason- most 20 somethings (you excluded obviously) passed up on what they perceived to be "junk". Hey- I make a knot on that all the time! Three cheers for the "best buy kids!" In short- take advantage of what your friends think is a POS and take it to the bank. You'll get the gear you want so long as you buy smart and keep trading up.

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    I like this guy.
    You're not alone

To answer, its more the media and marketing that drives sales in both the recordings of the actual music and the equipment used to reproduce it. Why do you think the IPOD is so popular, because it sounds the best?

My generation is ignorant to what is out there, not so much because we don't want to have good sounding gear, but because most people my age view the Best Buy equipment as GREAT, I was one of them, but once I heard the Marantz 2226, I was hooked.

Unfortunatly, most aren't that lucky and would not even consider buying something that was made 30 years ago. I thought it was worth a shot for $20, and I was there with my roommate when I bought it, and he said to me, "Are you nuts, my grandpa had something like that, its a piece of junk." And he's an engineer.

Most of my friends know about stores like Tweeter that sell higher end gear, and a few of my buddies have decent systems, but the problem is that no one today can afford to spend the money needed to experience what you experienced when you were 15 with new gear at a reasonable price.
    Not that the equipment and speakers in your time was cheap, it was most certainly not, but even the lowest model would sound fantastic, as were many of the entry level speakers like the Dynaco A-25's, Advents, and heck even the L100's weren't too expensive.

This is especially true for speakers, none can be bought for under $1000 to rival even my L36's. So how else is someone supposed to know what they are missing if they truly can't afford it, or truly have no way of finding out when they are content with headphones and MP3's?

I read in my newspaper, The Daily Illini (University of Illinois), in a blind trial with identical stereo systems, I don't remember the equipment used, but less than 10% could tell any difference between a MP3 and a CD.
    Yup!

Now you know.

scottyj

Thread Information