Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifier decision

Nightbrace

Amplifier decision

I am trying to decide between a Sansui 7070 and a Pioneer Sx-737 to drive a set of JBL EN3 cabinets loaded with LE25-4 tweeters, LE5-6 midranges, 2214H woofers, with L100 crossovers. I am currently using the Pioneer, but am interested in getting the Sansui 7070, is it worth the effort to try?

I probably should butt out being that I don't hold classic receivers in the same high regard as some LHS forum members, but I doubt there would be much of a sonic difference between the two... assuming similar power and operation condition. The main differences are typically features and cosmetics.

BTW: by similar power, you have to double the power to make a significant difference. So a 75 watt and a 100 watt amp are essentially the same.

Widget

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I probably should butt out being that I don't hold classic receivers in the same high regard as some LHS forum members, but I doubt there would be much of a sonic difference between the two... assuming similar power and operation condition. The main differences are typically features and cosmetics.

BTW: by similar power, you have to double the power to make a significant difference. So a 75 watt and a 100 watt amp are essentially the same.

Widget
    Well what receivers would you recommend that will work better than the Pioneer?

In general receivers are just not as good sounding as separates... there are some separates that are stinkers and there are some very good integrated amps... but in general if you want to go to the next step...

Read this thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=8131

Widget

Widget
    Well said!! I'll admit- the classic Pioneer integrated amps are very pretty; So are all the classic silver faced beauties. Problem is- they have steep competition when compared to the stuff that came out (domestically) circa 1983 through to the mid 90's. (There are a few exceptions- certain Marantz models, etc.)

In contrast to the Pioneer amp you mentioned: A Nakamichi STASIS based integrated amp from the 1990's (which can be had for a song on Ebay these days) will outperform all but the most sonic silver faced vintage integrated amps on all counts. Seperates really are the way to go; But, if budget is of concern and you want to keep an integrated amp- try a used Adcom, Threshold, or anything with the a PASS based circuit. And the beauty is- some of these came with remotes...something nice to have if you've been living with those older integrated amps

This is MY opinion- I'm sure I'll get shot down for opening up on this subject as there are soooo- many loyal Pioneer devotees. I can take it..

Nightbrace
    I'd like to get a Sansui AU-X711 to use with these speakers, but I have no idea where to look, have never seen one on Ebay. I'm just thinking of something else to try, it would have to be pretty good to be better than the Pioneer. I can't afford separate preamps, amps, and tuners. I would be willing to get a Sansui Tuner to match the AU-X711. You guys have any idea where to look?

Nightbrace
    How favorably will a Sansui AU-717 compare to the coveted AU-X1? Same goes for a TU-717 vs. the TU-X1.

Pre & Power Amplifiers ? Why not!

Hi, Ifind it hard to understand why you would be looking for Receivers or Intergrated amplifiers when you will get a significant sonic improvement using seperates. I have looked on ebay and the prices you guys pay for used gear is fantastic,have a go and enjoy
    Regards
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    ...it would have to be pretty good to be better than the Pioneer. I can't afford separate preamps, amps, and tuners. You guys have any idea where to look?
    Hey man, I feel your pain. How many "watts" does that old Pioneer say it's throwing? I'm almost ready to give you a free integrated amp that will outblast that thing in every way you can imagine (without the pretty face, though). Keep it till you can swing something better- then ship it back...

What are the specs? I don't want to send something underpowered...

take care-
    Mike

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face

take care-
    Mike
    http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/SX737.html

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Hey man, I feel your pain. How many "watts" does that old Pioneer say it's throwing? I'm almost ready to give you a free integrated amp that will outblast that thing in every way you can imagine (without the pretty face, though). Keep it till you can swing something better- then ship it back...

take care-
    Mike
    All this talk regarding old Pioneer receivers and the like reminds me of the old receiver I have in the basement-a Pioneer SX-1250...if I recall its rated at 160 watts/ch @8 ohms and about 200 @ 4, I think it weighs about 64 lbs and is pretty large relative to its power. After I purchased something a bit more modest I believe we used it (with a small mixer) for one of my old bands PA systems.
    Power is series business

I love my Pioneer SX1250

I like the old Vintage stuff by Pioneer, my SX1250 will rock any set of speakers on the planet.It has super clear sound and an AM and FM circuit that drags any station in. The weight is 64lbs out of the box. It is a very good looking receiver as well. I will match this receiver to any MAC receiver for clearity, my Mac 4200 didn't sound as good as this Pioneer and that is why I got rid of it.Buy Pioneer, but get the 1080,1250,1280,or the best 1980. You can't go wrong with any of those.

Hi Widget: I want to agree with you but can't in total. In a big system there is no substitute for separates. However, a few years back I had a Marantz 2275 sitting around and collecting dust. I decided to put it into service. At the time I was listening to my Sovs in the bedroom running on a mint MC2505 and MX113, with a cd player on the side. I thought it sounded pretty good. I popped in the 2275 instead of the mac and it blew the mac away. I wasn't going to believe it - so - I had an identical MC2505/MX113 pair in the basement. Up they came in place of the 2275. No difference. The 2275 beat that pair too. I pedaled both pairs and the 2275 runs me to sleep almost every night. Now it's been said that the 2505 is not their best solid state performance and that may have something to do with what I heard. But the 2275 and similar Pioneer/Sansui receivers should not be blown off too casually. Ya can't have a big bi-amped killer system in every room and there's good value in some of these 70's vintage receivers.

Rick

In general receivers are just not as good sounding as separates... there are some separates that are stinkers and there are some very good integrated amps... but in general if you want to go to the next step...

Read this thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=8131

Widget

Nightbrace
    I have a Marantz 2250, congrats on the 2275, its a great receiver.

I really don't see the need for separates. Although I see the benefits when using a considerable amount of power, I use less than 4 or 5 watts at normal listening levels and rarely have the need for a high powered amp. I have a Sony GX-10ES hooked up to 2 12" Plus PAudios in custom cabinets for that. I also have a Fisher 400 which I truly love, but its a little too fragile for daily use and can get overrun sometimes with certain music with the JBL's.

I have had a SPEC-1 preamp, SPEC-2 amp combo, and could notice no disernable difference between them and the Pioneer SX-780 which replaced them. I wanted a blackked-out Pioneer with dual meters for FM, and the SX-737 fit the bill nicely, the sound was identical to the SX-780 and I didn't need both. So thats what I have now.

I didn't mean to start a WAR here, I just thought maybe someone else may have had the chance to use the Sansui 7070 with a similiar speaker system before I fork over some money to try the receiver out.

I would like a receiver, or a tuner with an integrated amp to replace it, but it will have to be better than the SX-737 I have. Since I wouldn't like to spend more than $200, I think I may be stuck with the Pioneer for awhile.

It's not about power...

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    Hi Widget: I want to agree with you but can't in total. In a big system there is no substitute for separates. ...
    As luck would have it, I too have a Marantz 2275. I would submit it is a bit nicer than the Pioneers mentioned thus far and I think it is nice sounding. That said, there are so many separates that can be had on the used market for just a tiny bit more that will show the Marantz up in quality of sound. The Marantz is good, but a PS Audio pre and a GAS, Sumo, Threshold, Levinson, etc. etc. even some NADs and Adcom amps will open your eyes.

I would suggest that most of the early McIntosh solid state amps and preamps are not in this league.

Widget

BTW: The Levinsons and Thresholds are typically too costly, but one can occasionally find one for a good price.

Thread Information