Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mcintosh MC2500 Amp to drive the 4430?

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    If you end up buying from audioclassics, or any other place in the US you must make sure it runs 220V....
    If needed, one could just use an external transformer; 120v-230v /2kVA would be adequate, no?
    Jan-Thore

Quote Originally Posted by CarlHungus
    I am now looking into an 6900 integrated amp for sale here in Norway.
    I know It's probably a "lightweight" by McIntosh standard, but maybe it will be adequate, as I live in a condo...
    I would recommend NOT gettting the integrated 6900 or any other integrated amp for the 4430's. You need something with a lot behind it and the integrateds don't do it.

That's my opinion ( IMHO) anyway

good luck. Personally I think an older 2300 or 2500 is perfect. The older MAC amps from the 70's and early 80's have a Better sound than those today that really matches well with the 4430's - again just my opinion.

If needed, one could just use an external transformer; 120v-230v /2kVA would be adequate, no?
    Jan-Thore
    external tranformer is not a good choice for a power amplifier. It's Ok for low power electronics like preamp or other, but not for Power amplifier.
    Both Audioclassics and Mcintoshaudio.com can change the voltage.
    As I know this is very easy with all McIntosh Amp. Just need to make a modification in the primary input of the transformer (serial vs parallel) and change the fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    I would recommend NOT gettting the integrated 6900 or any other integrated amp for the 4430's. You need something with a lot behind it and the integrateds don't do it.

That's my opinion ( IMHO) anyway

good luck. Personally I think an older 2300 or 2500 is perfect. The older MAC amps from the 70's and early 80's have a Better sound than those today that really matches well with the 4430's - again just my opinion.
    I totally agree with you. I've a MC7100 and a MC300
    When I hooked up the first time the 7100 I thought I made some mistake in the wiring.
    The difference with the MC300 was so impressive that I never used the 7100 again. And I'm not talking of high volume listening level.
    You can hear the difference also when driving the 4430 with few Watts (10/15)

I've been told that there was a period where the McIntosh dropped their sights a bit on their lower power solid state units but that is not the case for the last several years or for the higher power units probably forever. My 352 and the bigger 402, 501's & 1200's are awesome. And their soft clipping control and speaker sentry technology is very nice. My 2c.

i am thinking also a 2500 buying.
    can tell somebody for which speakers passed? not only the 4430

I would recommend a larger Mac like the 2500, 2600, 352, 402, 501's, 1201's for just about any speaker, JBL or otherwise. Good entertainment to watch the meters too.

- Roy

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    I've been told that there was a period where the McIntosh dropped their sights a bit on their lower power solid state units but that is not the case for the last several years or for the higher power units probably forever. My 352 and the bigger 402, 501's & 1200's are awesome. And their soft clipping control and speaker sentry technology is very nice. My 2c.
    as an owner of the current 402's and other MAC's for over 33 years ( OK now I'm showing my age), when doing side by side comparisons, personally ( and it's just my opinion, also I never sold any of my MAC's I still have them) I really like the old circuits and the way they sound - there's more ...THERE..there...anyway that's just me.

Now don't get me wrong..I love my 402 and I demoed the 501 for a month..yes, those are the best amps they have ever made BUT........

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    I've been told that there was a period where the McIntosh dropped their sights a bit on their lower power solid state units .
    82 to 90 was the "down" period.....then they were bought out by a Japanese company ( 1990?) and had new money to play with. My next Mac will the the C200 pre-amp - almost bought it two years ago but didn't

Oh, yes another REALLY NICE feature of the old amps - they have a volume control so you can by-pass the pre-amp...makes a really big difference in sound...wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by mvaldes
    The difference with the MC300 was so impressive that I never used the 7100 again. And I'm not talking of high volume listening level.
    You can hear the difference also when driving the 4430 with few Watts (10/15)
    It's not the loudness but what we call "headroom" here in the States, the meter may only say 10 to 15 watts BUT the transients ( bursts of power for very short time) may need a lot more. It's amazing how so little can change the sound so much.....

good luck with whatever you do

Just go for the headroom, you won't be sorry....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

JBL Dog
    I just wondered if the Mcintosh MC2500 Amp would match the 4430?
    Have any of you guys tried that amp with JBL studio monitors?
    Jan-Thore
    I power my 4430's with an McIntosh MC7270 (270 wpc). A little more headroom with the MC2500 wouldn't hurt, go for it!

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog
    I power my 4430's with an McIntosh MC7270 (270 wpc). A little more headroom with the MC2500 wouldn't hurt, go for it!

I guess I should have read the entire thread, sorry it didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker
    Just go for the headroom, you won't be sorry....

Invstbiker...yes, those 501's are incredible amps...I kick myself for NOT getting those some times.....but the 402 does just fine.....

Speaking of headroom

The latest McIntosh powerhouse the MC2KW; yes 2000 watts per channel.

Heath
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information