Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha NS-1000, 1000x, 2000, 10000 hype

I really liked the NS 10's. Very small 2 way but they were wonderful near field spaekers. I did here the 1000's next to a pair of L100's and the NS 1000's had a really nice upper next to the L100's but the l100's had that "JBL BASS"
    Always fun learning more.......

chrisj

NS1000M - damaged?

Hello

I've been offered a pair of these, at a reasonable price. However, I've noticed what appears to be some damage to the mid range units. Having a look at a picture of the mid-range unit on the pair posted here earlier by Anthony L100 (on page one), it's the green dome shaped piece behind the black grille. The damage is best described as some cracking and flaking of the green material. Does anyone know what this is? or if it needs replacing, a scource of parts? I thought it just might be some sort of (plastic?) protection over the dome - as far as I can tell from my brief listening everything seems to be working fine. If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be really grateful! - thanks
    Chrisj

Gary L
    I owned the entire 1000 system a while back and it included the MX 1000 Class A amp, CX 1000 Pre, TX 1000 Tuner and 4 NS 1000M speakers.

My impression was this system was a very high end combo and the NS 1000Ms are probably the very best sounding I had ever heard in this size speaker. A bit bright and bass shy but extremely accurate with lots of punch.
    I heard a pair of NS 2000s once and these added the missing bass so I would deffinately purchase a pair of 2000s in a second if all was working and not wildly over priced.
    Parts are the main concern with these.
    To the best of my knowledge Yamaha still had tweeters available but they were around $250 each the last time I checked.

Very heavy cabinets on the NS 1000Ms but very high quality fit and finish.
    They did love power but the MX 1000 amp had more then enough of that.
    The electronics were a complete nightmare to keep lamps in and I had quite a supply of the 14.5V 115 MA bulbs but got very depressed with constantly changing bulbs.

Value wise this entire system sold very quickly and at unbelivable high prices so I have to give it a very high mark.

I would gladly have kept the NS 1000 speakers but was able to replace them with some much nicer-- TO MY EARS-- Altecs and had a bunch of cash left over.

Gary

The Swedish state radio bought severel HUNDREDS of Yamaha NS1000 M's in the late 1970's after extensive listening tests (no, I don't think JBL where in the evaluation. Prejudice?). They where used, and are still in use, as standard monitors all over the organisation.

They where therefore popular in Swedish HiFi stores at that time. I never liked them, but that could have been them being very revieling of what was used to drive them in those days...

It would be intersting to hear them today in a proper system!

JohanR

Thread Information