Thread: Advice on problem with L36 125A woofer

Royd

Advice on problem with L36 125A woofer

I recently purchased a pair of L36 speakers. The seller pulled a fast one and neglected to tell me that one of the speakers was in bad condition. I went ahead and purchased replacement L25-4
    tweeters and saved some cash by swapping in a pair of le5-5 mids I had in place of the le5-6 mids. The problem is with one of the 125A woofers. They were freshly refoamed so imagine my dismay when I played them with the new tweeters/mids only to hear one of the woofers making a buzzing sound. I don't know if the noise is the result of a bad refoam, or worse. Orange County Speakers charges $35 for a re-edge. I notice this model woofer comes up on eBay quite often. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My first guess would be that they glued up the new surround, with the cone slightly off-center. If so, a repeat re-done surround should fix it.

However, there is a chance, that someone played the speaker too loud and too long with a bad surround, and bottomed out the woofer long enough that the voice coil is starting to come apart. Seen that several times recently, not with 125As but with other woofers of various types... it's recone time, if that's the case.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information