Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Table saw, any tip?

I'll second the recommendation for General... they used to be a real bargain. As has already been shown above I am not up on the most recent developments in tools.

Obviously cost is always an issue... if you have the space, don't settle for a small portable saw that will always be almost good enough... keep an eye out for used bargains. We can't take this stuff with us and the older quality equipment will certainly out live their original owners.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    We can't take this stuff with us and the older quality equipment will certainly out live their original owners.

Widget
    There is truth to this statement! I have my grandfathers old American Sawmills Monarch Radial Arm saw from the 50,s, and not only does it still work, it is better than most anything you can buy today at any price!

Heavy as hell, though.

scottyj

FredEmmerich
    Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem
    My intention is to use it not only for loudspeaker cabinet building but also for work at my house and other thing where there is a need for cutting wood in/for my house and garden. Perhaps a 3 HP motor is a must and it must be a 3 ph, 230V 50Hz.
    Regards
    A 3 phase saw would be very expensive here, but it would work great. Its hard to find homes with 3 phase power anymore. I wish I had it for my HVAC system, it is much more efficient.

3 phase is prefered for large motors and they start much better...the Jet table saw is 3 phase but you pay for switch gear and 3 phase power.

Ian

. . . It means that my limited budget will be a disadvantage for a purchase of a stationary (pro) saw. Maybe I should try to find a saw at eBay. But this will not be easy either to find a saw equipped with a motor for 230V 50Hz . . .
    Food for thought: find a used saw that needs a new motor. The pulley would also need to be changed because 50Hz runs slower than 60Hz. In the US, most electric motors have standard frame sizes (I am not talking about the direct drive universal motors like the Bosch - but motors for contractor and cabinet saws). Perhaps a local electric motor shop could provide guidance.

Have bought one.

Hi all members
    I thought I was going for the Bosch 4000, but when I had a contact with my local tool distributor he advised me to buy another type of saw
    Mr Widget
    I would assume there is a European make that is comparable... for awhile I had an Italian Mini-Max... too much aluminum.. the Inca from Switzerland is also too light weight for my taste... I like quality iron in my stationary machines... You might look for Luna... they are from Sweden... I've never used one of their saws, but I have one of their planer/jointer/mortiser combo machines and it is pretty good. It is a little wimpy, but not bad for a 1000lbs "lightweight" machine.

If you have the room, a stationary saw with extension tables and as big a motor as you can afford and have electricity for is the way to go.
    Thank you Mr Widget for that. Right now, I have bought a Luna saw. Got it for a demo price, but it was hardly used because it had only been for looking at in a shop for a while. Costs: ca $ 1,500. A reasonable price over here for a high precision cabinet saw, comes with a sliding /movable table for high precision cuts, extension table, 3HP, 3ph motor and a HM blade

http://www.luna.no/katalogdata/v15/b...ZE/FB12895.JPG

Could post better pictures when the saw has arrived if of interest

Thanks to all of you
    Flodstroem

qxlxp
    i have the bosch, which is pretty nice for a saw i can roll under my workbench, but it doesn't appear to even be in the same league as your new luna.

given that you had the money and the space for the larger saw, i think you made a good decision.

the sliding table looks like it will be great for cutting plywood and mdf.

I have bought a Luna saw. Got it for a demo price...

Could post better pictures when the saw has arrived if of interest

Thanks to all of you
    Very Cool! Please do post a couple of pics... I'd love to see it and I know there are others here that would get a kick out of seeing it.

Widget

Hello Flodstroem

Wow!! Nice saw! I would love to have a saw like that. I have no place to set one up though. Good decission, why mess around if you have the room. We are going to need pictures of your cabinets so keep your camera handy

Rob

Pictures coming soon

Hi All

Well.....first thing to do, heavy cleaning of my garage. Also Im waiting for the tool shop to give me a shipping day. Maybe this week, I dont know yet. But in the mean time I also bought a fine cutting saw blade (YD 10" 80 teeth and Hard Metal/tungsten)

I also have to install a vacuum cleaner for taking care of the saw dust or else it would be hard to find the car in the morning

Anything to be aware of regarding the vacuum cleaner?

Yes I will take pictures of the saw and post them here.

Regards
    Flodstroem

Oh man, you'll do fine with that!
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Hi All

Well.....first thing to do, heavy cleaning of my garage. Also Im waiting for the tool shop to give me a shipping day. Maybe this week, I dont know yet. But in the mean time I also bought a fine cutting saw blade (YD 10" 80 teeth and Hard Metal/tungsten)

I also have to install a vacuum cleaner for taking care of the saw dust or else it would be hard to find the car in the morning

Regards
    Nice!
    scottyj

I tried using a thrift store bought entire house vacuum. A really big vacuum mounted in the wall with hoses that run everywhere. didnt work. The filter plugs instantly with mdf. Wet dry vacs arent much better in my experience. The cartridge jams up and you spend half your time shaking it out in the yard or blowing it off with compressed air and getting the dust all over outside. I am in the process of getting a cyclone dust collection system(Grizzly GO440, highly rated by American Woodworker and a good price at $745, I dont know how good it is but if you are looking down the road email me and I will let you know) MDF makes a huge mess of your garage and lungs. I am no expert but got a lot of input from my friends and relatives about the effects of MDF dust and the (formaldehyde?) glue which is recently been shown to be a cancer hazard. Nice looking saw.
    Hi All

Regards

Dust Collection

I use a small Grizzly dust collector that I keep under the extension table of my saw... to make it even more trick, it is wired to a current sensing switch so when the saw is turned on the dust collector comes on automatically. I actually have three of these little Grizzlies as I found in my previous shop that having a central system with ducts going everywhere can be less than desirable in a small shop. (Also the little Grizzlies are relatively cheap at $175 ea.)

I do have my little Grizzly hooked up to a home made centrifugal particle collector... basically a 40 gallon heavy fiber drum with an inlet and exit... it really keeps the system working. Years ago I even used one with a Sears shop vac... it keeps the filter clear until the barrel fills. You need to use a rigid barrel though. The first one I built used a 20 gal. galvanized steel trash can... I turned it on and wham... that little trash can imploded. It was quite spectacular.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I use a small Grizzly dust collector that I keep under the extension table of my saw... to make it even more trick, it is wired to a current sensing switch so when the saw is turned on the dust collector comes on automatically. I actually have three of these little Grizzlies as I found in my previous shop that having a central system with ducts going everywhere can be less than desirable in a small shop. (Also the little Grizzlies are relatively cheap at $175 ea.)

I do have my little Grizzly hooked up to a home made centrifugal particle collector... basically a 40 gallon heavy fiber drum with an inlet and exit... it really keeps the system working. Years ago I even used one with a Sears shop vac... it keeps the filter clear until the barrel fills. You need to use a rigid barrel though. The first one I built used a 20 gal. galvanized steel trash can... I turned it on and wham... that little trash can imploded. It was quite spectacular.

Widget

Thanks for the tip on the Grizzly, Widget....the trash can episode is making me
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information