Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Table saw, any tip?

Question Table saw, any tip?

Hi members

If buying a table saw, what model/brands should I buy for cutting particle boards and MDF and hardwoods? A drive motor of at least 1.5-2 horse power would be enough for me I guess, also it must have the option to be useful for cutting 45° angles for corners.

Somebody have any tip/suggestion? All feedback received will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Flodstroem

That's a tuff one in a way. You don't want a $79 special but you can't get a TOTL commercial saw if your only going to use it occasionally. I ended up with a Sears Craftsmen Farthers Day special 2 years ago. It's not the best but it was a good compromise of the saws I looked at. I shopped around at Home Depot, Sears and a couple of other tool stores. Came with a heavy steel table base and extendors that could handle the sheets I use. You could also get additional extendors that would lock into the Aluminum top plate for it if need be. I get 1/4 sheets of MDF precut to 24X48" and use those for my cabinets. If you want to do angle cuts take into account the max material thickness to determine the blade size you need. I use a 10" with 3hp motor and it cuts like a champ through 3/4 and 1" material. What ever you get, make sure that any extensions that are wide enough to handle your raw material and sturdy enough to support it. Also make sure the quides and such are also heavy duty and lock into position. With the saws I was looking at the guides and extenders in the cheaper models tended to be on the flimsy side. Same with the blade guard and anti kick back pawl. Look at the whole package the quality of the guides and such are as important as the motor itself.

Rob

Sears has great table saws.

I've got the 10-in stowable model. Mine is like this, but a few years older:
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=des#tab

I don't do a great deal of cabinet work, so don't want a table saw occupying my whole shop. This cuts really precisely, and gets outa the way when not being used. The built-in measuring (miter gauge) works astonishingly well. 15 amp motor.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I own three, two portables and one stationary. And it is very true, the more you spend the better you get. This is my latest portable aquisition and it is working very well.

And if I was looking at a mid priced stationary unit I would start comparing with something like these :

There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

RIP 2009
    I've got a Sears Craftsman myself. I was lucky about 2 years ago when they were moving to new models and got an $800 model on clearance for about $500, (and the last one they had in the Bay area, actually). It's got the nice cast iron side table extensions, though these add an expense and functionality that might not be that necessary for everyone. They certainly make decent lower priced models, and Sears has a great support system in place anywhere, (parts, supplies, etc.).

John

I have a Powermatic table saw, and I think they are great. Bosch is also excellent.

How often are you going to use it? If your going to be doing lots of work, then it pays to invest in quality tools, there is a difference!

If this is for a one time job, Craftsman makes a decent saw.
    scottyj

Now I can start search for a one

Now I have a pretty good idea what type of table saw I should buy.
    Bo, your idea for a stowable was a smart thing I didnt thought of.

My intention is to use it not only for loudspeaker cabinet building but also for work at my house and other thing where there is a need for cutting wood in/for my house and garden. Perhaps a 3 HP motor is a must and it must be a 3 ph, 230V 50Hz.

The DELTA saw looks very much as a one I was considering to buy. Craftsmen had a lot of models I could consider to buy. I dont now if there is Craftsmen to buy here in Norway but all your tips will be considered when I start searching for a one like those "over here".

Thanks all of you for the useful feedback.
    Regards
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton
    This is my latest portable aquisition and it is working very well.
    Yea. I am stunned with the quality of my portable, and the work it turns out. I expected far less than what the saw is able to do, with very good precision.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Sears? Nah! I definitely prefer the old heavy duty stuff. It's best to have a table saw with "wings" and some kind of outfeed arrangement, which you may have to rig up yourself. Having been down the sears power tool road I have to say they suck big time. For the same money or less you are much better off with a used Rockwell 10" Contractor table saw. Built for durability these saws work just fine even if they've had a lot of use, and sometimes it's possible to get a real bargain on an underused one if you look around.

Powermatic is heaven, but very expensive.

David

I think a Delta (Contracters model) would be good for the price. Just make sure it's not a direct drive for cabinet building.

jims
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    I think a Delta (Contracters model) would be good for the price. Just make sure it's not a direct drive for cabinet building.
    Agree with this choice. Can be had with an excellent unifence or biesemeyer fence. Whichever way you go, though, invest in a top quality blade for precision cuts. I think Forrest blades are the best. They run true and stay sharp after much use.

Jet is another good American brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Jet is another good American brand.
    A joke, I assume. It may be an American brand, but the tools are made somewhere north of you, Ian, and never were made anywhere else (Grizzly too).

Also, it seems to me most of this talk about American brands is irrelevant in Europe anyway. When I was working at it there was a very fine European table saw, Swiss?, called Inca.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    A joke, I assume. It may be an American brand, but the tools are made somewhere north of you, Ian, and never were made anywhere else.

Also, it seems to me most of this talk about American brands is irrelevant in Europe anyway. When I was working at it there was a very fine European table saw, Swiss?, called Inca.

David
    Well that's interesting, I just had a look at it :

The fence is : Made in the United States, Auburn Washington.

I recall what a pain in arse the inches and feet tape was until we ordered a metric and inches tape.

As I understand it the saw is Made in Tawain under American supervision.

I will post a pic it when I get moment!

The 2004 catalogue has to locate a dealer near you call 800-274-6848

Regardless they do have an impressive range, a bit over the top for the odd job perhaps.

Interestingly, the manufacting quality of tools out of China is now at a stage where they are in many cases better than else where.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie

Interestingly, the manufacting quality of tools out of China is now at a stage where they are in many cases better than else where.
    Like it or not, China is the new manufacturing capital of the world. They will get better and better as time goes by.
    scottyj

Thread Information