Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speaker Design Software Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Okay, last night I installed Windows 2000 Professional.
    The notebook doesn't have a network connector, just a modem (!) so I'm not going online with it.
    It does have a USB connector so I can download stuff on my Mac and use my flash drive to install it ...

I did some searching and downloaded TrueRTA - its a portable Real Time Analyzer
    (and signal generator and a bunch of stuff) all in one - http://www.trueaudio.com/

The basic package is freeware, but if you pay nominal fees, you can turn on higher sensitivity ...

1 Octave FREE! 1/3 Octave $39.95 1/6 Octave $69.95 1/24 Octave $99.95

Anyway, it looks ok - kinda tight on the 800x600 laptop screen, but maybe I can go higher ...
    - I'll check it out today or later this week as time allows ...
    Cool Heather!
    Keep us updated
    Always fun learning more.......

Cool Heather!
    Keep us updated
    Get the free version first to make sure it works on your PC with your sound card.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

WinISD confusion

I've been working with WinISD PRO (Alpha) for a week or so, and recently discovered what appears to be an error or anomaly, unless I jost don't understand something here. I am confused about the substantial differences I am seeing "Transfer Function Magnitude" graphs vs. the "SPL" graphs.

WinISD Help says this is what you want most of the time, but I don't understand what the "Transfer Function Magnitude" graph is showing me OR why it is so different than the "SPL" graph. They are not showing me the same curve.

I've read through the help and instruction files thoroughly, but if the explanantion is there, I just missed it.

I'm looking for total SPL output of the cabinet into 1/2-space (which is default reference if I understand correctly).

So, what exactly is "Transfer Function Magnitude" graph showing me?

FWIW, I understand voltage drive, phase relationships, power and
    Xmax on the graphs, and group delay, so techically-oriented answers are preferred.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Rudy Kleimann; 06-12-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added "Magnitude" where appicable

My understanding is that the SPL graph is the predicted absolute response to 1W/2.83V, while the Transfer function magnitude shows response relative to the driver's sensitivity, also at 1W/2.83V.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    My understanding is that the SPL graph is the predicted absolute response to 1W/2.83V, while the Transfer function magnitude shows response relative to the driver's sensitivity, also at 1W/2.83V.
    I understood that part, but the shapes of the curves were different.

However, I started from scratch today, and can't duplicate this "oddity", so I don't know what was going on when I first found the problem a few days ago...

Could've been "Operater Error"

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann View Post
    Could've been "Operater Error"
    Not likely, this Alpha version have some glitches. You allways want to recheck it by entering the design data from scratch into a new clean project just to be sure.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

From what I can read from various sources, the Transfer Magnitude Function (TMF) allows a relative comparison of the lower frequency spectrum between a reference and your currently modeled enclosure. However, I don't think it is simply a delta between two SPL curves.

The idea is to allow you to compare two different designs or alignments (one being the reference) and determine the width and amplitude of response peaks.

It would not surprise me that the SPL graph for the current model would be very different than the TMF graph, depending on what is selected for the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    Not likely, this Alpha version have some glitches. You allways want to recheck it by entering the design data from scratch into a new clean project just to be sure.
    I feel a little better...
    I have noticed a few "Quirks" about the program myself.

LOREN- if a comparison is what I was looking at, I don't know how I set it up. I do know that I can graph several driver/box projects simultaneously.

How would I go about setting up such a comparison?
    Last edited by Rudy Kleimann; 06-13-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added several... projects simultaneously

Thread Information