Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 4343 rebuild and configuration project

You're reading my thoughts, Ian. Thanks for the hints.

Yep, step by step. Can't await the first correct setup for listening - what I've heard already in a far less than serious configuration is hard to believe. Once I have an equal pair of woofers (there was only one 2235 so far), there will be a new point zero, to start with optimizing the setup for these 4343's. I agree both would be reasonable ways to proceed.

Here's a first impression of the "new" enclosures, during the inspection of their inner life. They are still the first (in german Ur-) version of the 4343 I believe, SN 22439 & 22442?

BTW, a lot of new JBL blue in the listening room here - and its just beautiful, got used to it within the first 24h.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks sexy!!

The hunt is over

Ok, finally got all drivers in that shape I wanted them to have, and on top abounding fun to track them down, from different sources. At last the woofs: a pair of 2231A's, reconed to 2235's. Well, hybrid.. but alnico.. so I will get the chance to compare directly to the later, genuine 2235H, in the same room with the same electronics.
    The 2405's I bought back from the guy that parted out the utility cabs, featuring the ol' blue diaphragms in great shape. The 2420's came in spring from eBay, with smooth aluminium dia's like new. Here could be room for tests - 2421, 2425.. So that's basically a 4333A assembly, and from 300Hz up I have the drivers that were ex factory in this members 4345's:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...6&postcount=47

These are 2122H's reconed by Harman in 2002, and will cover the lower mids for now. Still not sure if that works, as a simple bolt-in with these networks - have to listen a lot over the weekend.

Any feedback is much appreciated..

norealtalent
    Sweeeeet!

OMG

I haven't listened soo much yet, but - you 434x owners honestly think these need to be IMPROVED??

These monitors.. oh well, I'm lacking superlatives, in english. So full, so rich sound, deep, tight bass... ok I've heard 4343's before, but in totally different environment.. simply stunning seems to be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    If you have 4343's and you like them as is then you're done and you can sit back and enjoy them. If you have 4343's and you want to try the 4344 components and networks you have that option and it's a nice option to have.
    OKOK Giskard you were absolutely right (miss you, btw). Will certainly sit back for a while and take a deeep breath, enjoy them as is.

Then I'll try to determine if there is something I would like to do to proceed. You never know where the journey goes with stuff like this.. for now, I'm a happy man.
    Last edited by Fangio; 08-21-2006 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Euphoria part shortened a bit

Pics

Will report more, and make/post pics next time I have them down from the dollys. They aren't easy to maneuver.

Eventually I could build wooden U-profiles to cover the dollys, as a permanent solution..

OK, managed it finally to take some pics of the system that I've put together. Usually they are far more away from each other.

For the enclosures: only a surface cleaning and slight walnut re-oiling yet, no other treatments. Much more they do not need in my opinion, survived in decent shape. Hope the cabinet builders/woodworking pro's will agree and find that presentable, and not too far away from the high restoration standards here.

Full size

WONDERFUL

Very very nice Fangio. Just remember to place them with the 2505's to the left/right in your setup.

Very good . Especially the JBL blue, it looks like a good match.
    Nice work.

Steve Gonzales

Nice

A very nice addition to the "four way frenzy" club. I am always amazed when I see large speakers with virually no cosmetic damage. All the care that had to have been given to make it that so. They are very beautiful Fangio.

Rolf,
    their position is >3,5m or 11,5ft away from each other, in a room having around 30qm. I get a better stereo image from the usual listening position with the slots in the inner mounting holes.

It's a pleasure to share these, same as with your pics Chas. Yes the blue is not easy to shoot, especially in this very sunny room. It was partially cleared out in the pics for a little paintwork.

Steve, yup the cabs don't know any hard studio use fortunately. And they did not spend much time in the garage ca. 2 years I was told.

A very old dream has come true, and there's still a lot of playground for further explorations. Thanks for the compliments gents. Glad you like them.

norealtalent
    Very nice! Brings back many fond memories...

Thanks Dave, also for your contribution. Black is beautiful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    "four way frenzy" club
    These would require 3145 networks for the only club I know of - wouldn't they?

Doesn't that sound like a winter project?

We'll see.

Thread Information