Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 4343 rebuild and configuration project

The intent of that statement was the overall refinement of the 4344 in terms of the driver layout, the drivers and crossover; and most importantly adjustment.

I suppose you could call those fundermental considerations.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    The intent of that statement was the overall refinement of the 4344 in terms of the driver layout, the drivers and crossover; and most importantly adjustement.

I suppose you could call those fundermental considerations.
    Ah, embellishment, ok sorry. Thought that could be kind of a budget exploration a while, as ultralingua didn't know that. And you want to be the first who goes into the overall calculations...

A further goal of this project is the chance to get perfect JBL 4-ways with a kind of payment in installments. The idea to buy them ready doesn't promise half of the fun than this step-by-step process does to me, including the hunt for parts. And there are other priorities where i have to spend money also. When you have more than one hobby, this makes sense in my eyes.
    F.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Hello Fangio
    I scratch built a pair of 4344's using plans I modifed from the 4345 thread and networks that Ian built using Giskards first network solution for the missing taped inductors. It was a fun project. They were well worth the time and money put into them. Looking over the threads will be a big help to you. If you don't already have some you may want to consider getting a basic measurement set-up. Could be as simple as an SPL meter or an inexpensive 1/3 octave RTA. Once you get things going having some kind of measurement capabillity will be invaluable as you balance the driver levels, verify phase as examples. I know it made a big difference for me. Good luck on your project. Please keep the pictures comming. Attached is the matrix for the cone kits. Watch the note on the E130/140

Rob
    Cool Rob, thanks. Exactly this one i saw before, but couldn't find it again. This time its saved.

Measurement – I have a multimeter, thats all so far. Will consider that.

Thumbs up Progress

Time for an update, more to come as of today.

Still a long way to go. Like porschedpm and Ian predicted, the big hurdles are still to come - xovers, and appropriate (bi-)amping. Just wanted to let you know I'm following the currently very alive 4343 to 4344 upgrade discussion and its associated threads with lots of interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you need anything let me know.

Ian

Very kind, will do. Thanks Ian.

Should probably describe a bit more detailed what I have now, at least as set to start with: 2405's, 2420's, 2122's, 2235.
    Last edited by Fangio; 07-29-2006 at 01:20 AM. Reason: inquiry pulled back, outdated.

3143 vintage networks - another piece in the puzzle..

Couldn't resist to buy a pair of 3143's. I was warned these networks are so hard to find and have some aged components, therefore aren't worth the high prices they fetch nowadays. However, this 4343 project wouldn't be complete without a set as backup, in my opinion - I should have heard these, perhaps in comparison to better ones in future, and FWIW to have an optional stock config (read: vintage value). And yes these networks were not a bargain too.. well, I got throwed in an extra at least..

..there were some other, empty boxes attached to them.

Extra Cabs??

Are they available?

Oh no, it starts again

And you definately infected by that JBL virus also

To make a long story short, I've seen these empty cabs last winter already, here locally in a garage. It took me half a year convincing to get them out there now. I'll tell/show more of them later.

Be assured the utility cabs won't disappear in the basement forever, reduced to grille & lenses contributors only. I like their functional look too, their time will come also.

Right now I'm in the wiring process of one cabinet. Digging through older threads, I found this, from 2003:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...black+positive

My extract would be:
    color/black striped wires go to BLACK terminal of all drivers
    single color wires go to the RED terminal of all drivers

Correct, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio
    My extract would be:
    color/black striped wires go to BLACK terminal of all drivers
    single color wires go to the RED terminal of all drivers

Correct, I hope.
    YEP!

Thanks Guido.

Both 4343's are running.
    The (different evolution) steps may vary from this roadmap, depending on the components that come across my way.
    OK, things went exactly the other way round. Have to wait till next week for another pair of 15's though... crossing fingers they have a safe trip.

Hope you stay tuned.
    Last edited by Fangio; 08-11-2006 at 11:55 PM. Reason: pics moved to next posting

A little side step about packing.. (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=10246)

The sender was so kind to shoot pics from the packing job. Perhaps it's visible: he embedded them using Bauschaum (foam in spray cans from DIY store) and let it dry inside the carton to protect them (of course after having them bolted together facing each other, and after being wrapped in airtight plastic). For those of you sending woofers long distance regularly this may be not new - please forgive me. I take that as not a bad idea, learned something yesterday.

I think it was a good idea to buy trial the original networks.

Perhaps a time allows you may wish to introduce some of the updates Greg Timbers suggested in his last post..one at a time. And the ultimately you may wish to revert back to the stock network / system and keep us imformed of any subjective improvements.

If you wish to try other components such as the 2397 Smith horn or the mini 2397 atop the 4343 like Johnny has made that would be interesting as well.

Ian

Thread Information