Thread: speaker wire guidelines

lodoc

speaker wire guidelines

New basement speakers being tested in the shop. And I'm running out of lamp cord.

Several other pairs need a more final wiring. Garage, shop, den, some long runs.

Would like to buy a 500' roll of SOMETHING to get me started Probably need a second roll. Any links to general guidelines of gauge, length of runs, filament dia, etc.to guide me? Please, no E's (esoteric, exotic, expensive) other than EASY Thanks.

Karl

btw Zilch - the 4628B's haven't found me yet but still on the radar screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you what to get a lot of good quality speaker wire without spending a lot of money.
    Go to a big home improvement center and check out the outdoor lighting section.
    I was able to find 100’ packages of 12-gauge low-voltage lighting cable at some fairly reasonable prices.(under $30.00)
    And if 12-gauge cable is not heavy enough for your application, then just double up on the cables.
    If you run two 12-gauge cables in parallel, it is equivalent to a single 9-gauge cable.

Baron030

Hi all-

If hi-fi:low dough is what you're after- check out two of my all time favorite wire fixes. The first involves the infamous Home Depot extension cord as speaker wire. Click this link for details (The Absolute Sound did a shoot-out comparing it to high end manufacturer's dedicated speaker wire and and put many to shame)
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/news...e_survey2.html

The next one is my fave. It involves braiding Cat5 wire into the the best sounding speaker wire I've heard to date. I have done several of these and I cannot say enough good stuff about this project. WELL WORTH EVERY MIN OF EFFORT!! (Plus it looks really cool !!)
    http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

Good luck!

Ahh, just realized you needed 500 ft +. Oops! My links will definately not suit your needs, sorry bout that.

Thumbs up ZMC

All I can say is Zilch Miracle Cable.
    Out.

lodoc
    Thanks grumpy for the JBL FAQ site. I should be able to run with that info.

Zilch Miracle Cable? I'm missing something... As in an 'overkill' cable guage that should meet all my needs up to 75 feet or so? Or it would 'take a miracle' to find a single type of cable and gauge to suit all my needs?

Smile ZMC

Quote Originally Posted by lodoc
    Thanks grumpy for the JBL FAQ site. I should be able to run with that info.

Zilch Miracle Cable? I'm missing something... As in an 'overkill' cable guage that should meet all my needs up to 75 feet or so? Or it would 'take a miracle' to find a single type of cable and gauge to suit all my needs?
    Check out posts 562-567 in this thread:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&page=38&pp=15

You'll see a picture there.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by lodoc
    New basement speakers being tested in the shop. And I'm running out of lamp cord.

Several other pairs need a more final wiring. Garage, shop, den, some long runs.

Would like to buy a 500' roll of SOMETHING to get me started Probably need a second roll. Any links to general guidelines of gauge, length of runs, filament dia, etc.to guide me? Please, no E's (esoteric, exotic, expensive) other than EASY Thanks.

Karl

btw Zilch - the 4628B's haven't found me yet but still on the radar screen.
    Parts Express has a pretty good oxygen free 12 gauge cable in 500 ft. spools. I believe it can be purchased for $194. The same style but in a 10 gauge size seems to only come in 250 ft. spools and sells for $147
    ....the 12 gauge/500ft. part # is 100-153
    ...the 10 gauge/250 ft. part # is 100-158
    Parts Express can be reached at 1-800-338-0531
    Power is series business

lodoc
    PHP Code:
     Check out posts 562-567 in this thread

[
    url]http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/...2&page=38&pp=15[/url] 
    the specific post info did help me find the picture. originally when I put ZMC in the search I was directed to the thread but admittedly I did not make it thru all the pages.

thanks all for the info and leads. after looking at some of the pics that show seriously corroded wire I see where the 'oxygen free' type wire may have some long range advantages. a fine big roll of wire is in my future...

I'll have to do some checking to see what gauge wire will go thru the rather small holes in some of my older JBl connectors (L65's). I know I have about 14 ga now feeding them and it's a tiiiiight squeeeeeze. could probably do a terminal solder of a smaller guage if 10-12 ga won't fit - or shave a few hairs.

Thread Information