Thread: glueing voice coil to paper cone - super glue?

glueing voice coil to paper cone - super glue?

Someone told me - not necessarily an expert - one could use so called "super glue" (I understand that he meant that (acryl based) glue that sticks your fingers together when you get the liquid between them) to glue the four inch voice coil to the cone (and spider). I have doubts, that this is "the" solution. Wouldn't "normal" two component epoxy glue be better suited?

Do have original JBL kits glued the voice coil and spider already together with the cone?

pelly3s
    yes orgininal kits have the coil glued in place. I would use a Loctite two part epoxy. The 5 minute works if you are in a hurry but a slower drying time is always nice so it has time to set into the material

24 hour epoxy would do the job

Hi Krischu

As pelly3s pointed out
    yes orgininal kits have the coil glued in place. I would use a Loctite two part epoxy. The 5 minute works if you are in a hurry but a slower drying time is always nice so it has time to set into the material
    If you had to do some adjustment AFTER the glue been attached, well that would be impossible with "super glue"

24 hour epoxy is best suited for this purpose (proposed by pelly3s for the voice coil attachment to cone and spider). A tip: After checking for that everything is in the right place you could accelerate the curing process/time by applying some heat but not more than 50-60 degrees centigrade. Reason for that is the glue will penetrate easier in the materials and the curing process will be better (a short time after when the glue had ben warm it become thinner, watch out for flowing glue)
    You also shortening the gluing time to a factor of 10-15. Be very careful not to overheat the assembly or else you will end up with a mushroom instead of a cone-kit.
    Regards
    Flodstroem

Many manufacturers (Yamaha, Peavey, etc) that make pro-audio speakers, regularly use an accelerated cyanoacrylate superglue (apply the glue, then "zap" it with accelerator spray, voila, instant rock-hard glue joint) to bond spiders to cones, voice coil, baskets and such.

When reconing speakers that don't have factory-assembled kits, we regularly use the same type of accelerated cyanoacrylate adhesives for the same purposes. Even in cases where people have literally set voice coil formers and cones ON FIRE, the glue has never failed. And it's nice- with cyanoacrylates for the "critical" joints and fast-volatiilty (ie, fast-drying) adhesives for the others (surround to basket, etc), you can literally recone a speaker, and have it READY TO PLAY within one hour!

Regards,
    Gordon.

JBL glue in the 1960's

Quote Originally Posted by Krischu View Post
    Someone told me - not necessarily an expert - one could use so called "super glue" (I understand that he meant that (acryl based) glue that sticks your fingers together when you get the liquid between them) to glue the four inch voice coil to the cone (and spider). I have doubts, that this is "the" solution. Wouldn't "normal" two component epoxy glue be better suited?

Do have original JBL kits glued the voice coil and spider already together with the cone?

I believe that the glue was from Bostich and it had a solvent, the color was light brown.

Thread Information