Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there any JBL as flat as Eminence...

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    You'd be awfully hard pressed to find a better driver for your application than the current JBL 2226H. Particularly in terms of sheer power handling and durability. Eminence is a fine..and very prolific... driver if you're willing to accept some tradeoffs in durability and unit to unit consistency. Yes....JBL costs more...and you're also getting more...much more.
    Thank you edge, I will look into the 2226H and again thanks for the help.
    Power is series business

Mighty Saturn 5

exactly what frequency range did you want the speakers to operate within?

pelly3s
    Well the graph I put up was the one from Eminence for the Kappa Pro 15's. If you want a really nice 15" that I feel is better than any JBL in its range (sorry guys) The EV EVX-155 is the choice I would make.

pelly3s
    I find some eminence drivers to be great. mostly the ones made for EAW, Community, or other speaker builders out there. My experience with the Kappa Pros is that they are very similar to the response shown on the Eminence website which in the applications I need to use them just is a little sloppy. It took a lot of EQing for me to get a flat response out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    Well the graph I put up was the one from Eminence for the Kappa Pro 15's. If you want a really nice 15" that I feel is better than any JBL in its range (sorry guys) The EV EVX-155 is the choice I would make.
    Oh that's just because you live closer to E-V than JBL....It's that whole East vs. West .
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Saturn 5
    When it comes to 15" extended range drivers I was wondering if JBL has anything as flat in the mid-band region(100 hz-4 khz) as the Eminence Kappa pro 15. I've used various E series speakers over the years and have always been impressed by their efficiency-- .
    I'd also be curious as to why you would want a 15" PA speaker to go to 4Khz. I can understand if you're using it for guitar, but for PA it doesn't make much sense for a sound propagation point of view. An EVM 15L will go to 4khz+, and the JBL D/K/E-130 can be tamed on the top end with a paper dust dome. Both of these drivers are discontinued but factory recone kits are still available. I can see 2k-2500hz as transition to compression drivers/horns, but 4k sounds way high....maybe your concerned with diaphragm longevity?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I'd also be curious as to why you would want a 15" PA speaker to go to 4Khz. I can understand if you're using it for guitar, but for PA it doesn't make much sense for a sound propagation point of view. An EVM 15L will go to 4khz+, and the JBL D/K/E-130 can be tamed on the top end with a paper dust dome. Both of these drivers are discontinued but factory recone kits are still available. I can see 2k-2500hz as transition to compression drivers/horns, but 4k sounds way high....maybe your concerned with diaphragm longevity?
    Hi again Edge, in answer to your initial question; the reason is not because we transition over at 4khz (its actually about 2.8 khz@ 24 db per octave) its just nice to know that the driver is capable of extending out further then its actual cross over point. I know its probably silly but its nice to know the driver used is well within its frequency limits plus as you mentioned we are concerned about compression driver diaphram stress (we use the old JBL 2425J), additionally we find that this particular cross over point for the Eminence 15" is pleasent to the ears without too much "beaming" or harshness. Anyway, thanks for the input and have a nice day.
    Power is series business

pelly3s
    Oh that's just because you live closer to E-V than JBL....It's that whole East vs. West .
    maybe it is lol. i do love evx 155's though. a lot like a gauss since ev bought them for the 4" vc's

Thread Information