Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any JBL as flat as Eminence...

Exclamation Are there any JBL as flat as Eminence...

When it comes to 15" extended range drivers I was wondering if JBL has anything as flat in the mid-band region(100 hz-4 khz) as the Eminence Kappa pro 15. I've used various E series speakers over the years and have always been impressed by their efficiency-- I've found the E-120 to be an extremly Loud 12" speaker as well as its slightly larger brother the E-130, but as far as efficient and "flat" PA mains are concerned the JBLs in the E-series are not exactly suitable in this role without a good deal of Eq, of course I understand that JBL has many PA type speakers (as opposed to instrument) out there. The problem is that while its easy to obtain Eminence frequency response graphs (they are in their catalog) its not as easy with the various JBL line--specifically 15". Anyway, Thanks for any help I might get. PS--in addition to response, are there any JBL 15" speakers that handle as much power with efficiency in the mid band area as the Eminence.
    Power is series business

pelly3s
    2225, 2226, 2227, 2255......... thats all i really have to say to that

they may not be as efficient but i would rather hit a JBL with a lot of power before a eminence

pelly3s
    the eminence is anything but flat there is a 5dB - 10dB difference throughout the mid range

JBL publishes the curves.

4 kHz? How about 1.2 kHz:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

Nose around the JBL Pro website. You find stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    JBL publishes the curves.

4 kHz? How about 1.2 kHz:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

Nose around the JBL Pro website. You find stuff....
    not for the E series, I've looked for it myself over the years and i've never found it...If I'm wrong please show me...

However the E-130 is very close in design to the 2220H and you can find it's graph.... ( starts to lose it under 200)

The E-130 is usually more Mid-range freindly than the 2220 as the 2220 is more for Mid-bass. I'll give numbers so people will know what I'm saying..IMHO mid-bass = 100 to around 500... mid-range 500 to 3000 or 4000

also, while the 2225, 2226, 2227 are great for below 1000, they are not made for over 1000 like the E-series...also the 2227 has a rising graph ( upto around 1000) and is the best of those 3 for over 1000. also the 2225 and 2226 should not be used over 1600 ( your milage may vary)

Comparing the E-series to the 2225, 2226,2227 is like comapring a bird to a dog - totally different gitters ( I'm not familiar with the 2255 - time to do some reading)

Obsolete
    "Power is series business"

I don't know what this means...
    Has it something to do with rocket stages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Saturn 5
    PS--in addition to response, are there any JBL 15" speakers that handle as much power with efficiency in the mid band area as the Eminence.
    No, if JBL's were as good as Eminence then they'd be called Eminience instead of JBL. How can you beat a speaker called Eminence?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    How can you beat a speaker called Eminence?
    Supreme Eminence?

Damned... if I wasn't Mr. Widget, I could gone for that title.... oh well.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    How can you beat a speaker called Eminence?
    with a hammer....

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    with a hammer....
    I guess that would flatten it out a bit!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    the eminence is anything but flat there is a 5dB - 10dB difference throughout the mid range
    Well, I guess the graph I'm looking at is different then yours
    Power is series business

[QUOTE=Giskard]"Power is series business"

I don't know what this means...
    Has it something to do with rocket stages?

...not exactly, however the nice people who have given us the Crest 10001 might believe it.
    Power is series business

Well, I guess the graph I'm looking at is different then yours
    Not all frequency response graphs are created equally. Even those presented from the same manufacturer, may be taken using very different methods or scales and give a very different appearance.

Widget

pelly3s
    this would be the graph i looked at and that is far from anything flat that i have ever seen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    this would be the graph i looked at and that is far from anything flat that i have ever seen
    The graph you have shown does not reflect the graph measurments we've made from the Eminence speaker in question, the two we use have far less rise in the upper mid range and are pretty close to each other graph wise. I'm sure the measurments you have made are correct and your equipment is calibrated, perhaps the readings on the speaker you tested reflect the fact that there is considerable deviation from identical drivers. Anyway since no speaker is perfect it would seem to make sense to find one that meets the most common criteria (in my particular situation) - efficiency, flatness (in its respective frequency use) and long term power handling.Your comment shows you don't agree with our use of Eminence which is fine but since you seem to have seen better please feel free to share this information, I've heard many good things about JBL pro speakers and as mentioned previously was wondering if anyone could help with information (as some did) so I might upgrade to something that better fits the afore mentioned criteria.
    Power is series business

I've heard many good things about JBL pro speakers and as mentioned previously was wondering if anyone could help with information (as some did) so I might upgrade to something that better fits the afore mentioned criteria.
    You'd be awfully hard pressed to find a better driver for your application than the current JBL 2226H. Particularly in terms of sheer power handling and durability. Eminence is a fine..and very prolific... driver if you're willing to accept some tradeoffs in durability and unit to unit consistency. Yes....JBL costs more...and you're also getting more...much more.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information