• Friday night or Sunday morning only (no hotel) @ $80

0 0%
  • The full weekend (no hotel) @ $240

2 25.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LH Weekend Commitment Thread and Poll

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    While not directly involved I already posted that idea and Dome immediate pooh who'd it sighting he was uncomfortable about people visiting his rough neighbourhood. While that may well be the case he unfortunately he didn't consider that other members might want to do this while in fact some already do home visits.

Ian, in one of these threads we mentioned Steve Schell offering to open his home collection to us. I think toddalin also offered his place. I'm thinking Andresohc might do the same. They all live in good locales.

If that's what folks want to do, that's okay by me. The logistics of it are something different than what I am trying to do. I responded to a number of suggestions early on that recommended a central site, a defined schedule, specific activities, etc.

Never fear; we'll get something worked out. When we do, I hope you're able to make it. If not, maybe we'll put up a Web cam and do a stream over the internet for you and others who'd like to be a part of it.
    Out.

Well I think Toddalin must live in a nicer neighborhood, and it sounds like a great idea.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    The menu is on the rear door of the white van.
    Yeah, it looks like an ice cream truck.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    Well I think Toddalin must live in a nicer neighborhood, and it sounds like a great idea.
    I don't know about that. I live beyond the tracks and we can never tell when the next eruption could occur and all He-- breaks loose. View is from my front yard.

Smile Keeping JBLs safe.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    Then how come you still have your JBL's have they not been molested?
    One nice thing about most of my JBLs is that they're too heavy and bulky for easy removal. Most home invaders want to be in and out in five minutes or less. You really can't hustle a pair of L250s or SVA1800s out the door in five minutes.

Plus, unless you plan to keep them yourself, they're pretty obvious when pawned (or sold on eBay). I suppose if someone really wanted a set of JBLs, he could target my place, but he'd have to have a good idea what he wanted, how he was going to carry it (handtruck, dolly, brute strength?), and what he'd use to take it away from the scene of the crime.

When people break in, they grab coins, jewelry, small consumer electronics, etc. I keep a bowl of coins in an obvious location so it's easy to find; they can dump and go. It's cheap insurance to lose $10-15 bucks and have them feel like they got away with something. This way I generally don't get vandalized by a pissed off crook.

I've actually disposed of a couple of old cell phones this way. I just put them in an easy to find location and eventually they get lifted, along with the coins. Of course they were out of service.

BI or N, we even have a fake jewelry decoy, with a couple of old pieces we picked up at pawn shops and a police auction. For some reason, they don't just dump and run. We've only lost one piece. The rest of it is so cheap they might feel sorry for us.

As you can tell, there's a whole different mindset that helps one cope with living in a tough neighborhood. Absolute security is a pipe dream. Managing risk and potential loss is the name of the game.

As much as I love my JBLs, my electronic gear, and other possessions, the only thing that matters is Huikyong's safety and my own. We have a basic position that everything is expendable except for each other. Once you accept that everything you have is expendable, then it loses its "possession" over you, and you can act with greater freedom.

All in all, it's not as bad as it seems to someone who doesn't live here.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    I don't know about that. I live beyond the tracks and we can never tell when the next eruption could occur and all He-- breaks loose. View is from my front yard.

Looks like Toddalin lives in Frontierland...
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Fantasy Land!

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Looks like Toddalin lives in Frontierland...

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Fantasy Land!
    That's what I was thinkin....Fantasyland...

as long as it's not Never Never Land

Thread Information