0 0%
  • Friday night or Sunday morning only (no hotel) @ $80

0 0%
  • The full weekend (no hotel) @ $240

2 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LH Weekend Commitment Thread and Poll

Exclamation Pulling the plug for now.

I've contacted a few people off line, and the consensus is to move the date back by a month or more.

I hope this doesn't mess up plans for Rolf and others who might have come a long way.

So, for the hell of it, I'll open a thread with a poll for a rescheduled date.
    Out.

Hi TD,

Any reason this couldn't also be opened up to other audiophile groups like AK members (with more than 100 posts) or maybe some of the SoCal based audio clubs/groups? More people involved would allow some cost containment and maybe a chance for JBL-less folks to have a listen.

Of course, there may be downsides - We wanted this to be a LH only event, that's understandable. Also concern about security with folks we don't know as well. Perhaps the most pervasive, the more people know about JBL, the more competition for us on purchases!

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Bart

thought about it

There are some guys on other forums that I think would come, but there are plenty that I wouldn't want to come. There are some folks who troll these kind of forums looking for info that will tell them where they might pick up some resaleable gear "cheap."
    Out.

Can I make a suggestion and I appreciate there has been a huge effort to get this up so far.

I while back I was the Melbourne Audio Club (Aust) Convenor for 3 years and we had a regular monthly hire of a local Council meeting room at the Civic centre.

Experience taught me a lot about organising people and events.

There were at least one hundred members and we all paid a annual membership fee of about $50 bucks which paid for a monthly magazine and the monthly hire of the room. It took a committee of 6 to handle the orignisation and administration..not a good look at the best of times.

Within that we had half a dozen groups, equipment , diy and various music genres that met either monthly for bi monthly meeting. That was where we had the most success and enjoyment.(meeting the wifee's was the best bit)

Transportable equipment like CD players, graphics and DAC and preamps was often demonstrated and compared in one anothers homes.

We even had dealers pushing for invites to our home meetings to showcase their stuff...ie EQ, speakers, kits and some loaned equipment for evaluation!

I am not asserting you start an LA JBL Club but in view of the costs for a Wamm style Yabbabest and degree of organisation and commitment it might be worth drawing up a calender to consider a pilot of some home meetings in the LA region with a limit on numbers and consider hire of a civic centre if popularity grows for a regular meeting of the clan. That way everyone interested can put their hand up to attend a particular venue / home gathering without all the headaches and share and mix ideas. And everyone will in the end get around to meet each other over time in an orderly fashion.

Perhaps like the thing Ken has done..various people will buddy up having met and have a regular/ocassional home gathering over a pizza or dinner out with the wives.

I know the last time I had friends and club members around we had them stacked 3 deep in front of my JBLs and we had a lot of fun..no pressure, lots of laughs and some great music.

So what you might end up with is some mini home meetings within regions like LA, SF, Reno, Denver, Ohio and NY and the North Pole (Don's)

It just makes more sense and people can hear the stuff as it should be heard in their own homes and the only catering is a dial in pizza!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ian

Sounds pretty good Ian

I do think it would be fun. It also would be fun to have an event here in Denver as it might allow some other members a chance to to come who might be closer to denver.

Smile Intruiging idea

Ian,

That'd be a nice idea, though I wouldn't want to be responsible for it. I'm not sure I could stand to see some of these guys more than once a year. (Easy, guys, I'm kidding.)

On a more serious note, I don't think I'd have anyone come to my place, since their cars are likely to be broken into, stolen, vandalized, or stripped while they're immersed in the Performance Series. Also, they might get mugged or shot going to and from their cars. I'm not kidding about any of this.

OTOH, they might get propositioned for sex, offered inexpensive drugs, or have the chance to buy jewelry, weapons, or other mechandise at a heavy discount. So the neighborhood isn't all bad.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Ian,

That'd be a nice idea, though I wouldn't want to be responsible for it. I'm not sure I could stand to see some of these guys more than once a year. (Easy, guys, I'm kidding.)

On a more serious note, I don't think I'd have anyone come to my place, since their cars are likely to be broken into, stolen, vandalized, or stripped while they're immersed in the Performance Series. Also, they might get mugged or shot going to and from their cars. I'm not kidding about any of this.

OTOH, they might get propositioned for sex, offered inexpensive drugs, or have the chance to buy jewelry, weapons, or other mechandise at a heavy discount. So the neighborhood isn't all bad.
    Then how come you still have your JBL's have they not been molested?

Obsolete
    OTOH, they might get propositioned for sex, offered inexpensive drugs, or have the chance to buy jewelry, weapons, or other mechandise at a heavy discount.
    What kind of weapons? Do they have a menu available?

Ian,

. I'm not sure I could stand to see some of these guys more than once a year.
    OTOH, they might get propositioned for sex, offered inexpensive drugs, or have the chance to buy jewelry, weapons, or other mechandise at a heavy discount.
    Those are all fine reasons to have the event in the city of Carson.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    What kind of weapons? Do they have a menu available?

The menu is on the rear door of the white van.

Just put Giskard out on Nature Stripe Patrol. (in joke)

Thanks Dome!

Hi Dome,

It's made me kind of sad to see this thread slide down the list into obscurity.

I just wanted to say thanks for the extraordinary effort you made to try and light a fire under the forum and get something started.

There's lessons to be learned from the attempt that I'm sure will be useful to making something actually happen in the future.

But for going out on a limb, and giving it your best efforts,

a very big THANK YOU!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Yes, thanks for the effort! We really appreciate it.

As an alternative, how about those of us in the So Cal area, and any of those wishing to come to the So Cal Area, stage our own open houses.

Say we take a specific month and one weekend, or weekend day/evening, someone could showcase their system(s) for any JH members/family/friends who would wish to, could come see them? It could be a different home each weekend, or could be multiple homes if located in proximity. I'm game and would do an HT evening! I could also put up one or two Nor Cal residents and set some of their stuff up here.

While not directly involved I already posted that idea and Dome immediate pooh who'd it sighting he was uncomfortable about people visiting his rough neighbourhood. While that may well be the case he unfortunately he didn't consider that other members might want to do this while in fact some already do home visits.

Thread Information