• Saturday only, one person (no hotel) @ $160

0 0%
  • Friday night or Sunday morning only (no hotel) @ $80

0 0%
  • The full weekend (no hotel) @ $240

2 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LH Weekend Commitment Thread and Poll

I'd agree the Northridge tour is a critical element. Any chance of getting that confirmed in the next week or so?

Dome:

how many people do we need to break even?

RIP 2009
    Dome - Is it save to assume you'll be setting up a demo of at least a stereo Performance system? Maybe 4430's and L7's also? Do you think anyone's interested in hearing a set of L60T's or L3's, as a demo of just how good JBL's larger floor-standing 8" 2-way systems can sound?

John

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    It seems the main "fixed" cost is going to be the demo room rentals, since hotel rooms, (and meals?), are a pass-through. How much - 'guess T.D. will have to fill us in... And as far as the Northridge tour goes - I think that should only be open for those that are also paying to at least attend some demo sessions, (no freeloaders just for the JBL tour). And I agree with Zilch - that's enough of a draw that it's important to try pinning it down pretty soon.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Dome:

Yes, need to know because we can not confirm flight before we know if this is going to happend.

Rolf

I can bring a pair of Dorian S12 and L65 Jubal. I also have an 8 speaker pair McIntosh speaker switcher.

If I skip a change of cloths and underwear, I might be able to squeeze in my Aquarius IV S109 and Aquarius Q L120WX.

Heck, if I rent a truck I could bring my while sig line!

What type of security will there be for the thousands of $ of stuff that will be sitting around? Don't want to have to lug all my stuff to my room each night.

Will we be able to unload and store on Thursday night? I don't want to miss the Friday tour if it happens.
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Exclamation reality check

Okay, as of today we have nine confirmed attendees. There's no way to make this work with nine people, unless we effectively double the price (and I'm not going to pay to attend if we have to do that).

So, we are facing a decision point.

1. Cancel the event.

2. Find 16 more committed individuals.

3. Change the date and hope for more interest.

4. Scale back the event and see if more people will come to a smaller, less expensive event.

Here's my original plan:

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    If we stick with the suggestion of three carpeted meeting rooms and meet Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning, then most attendees who stay overnight will need a room for two nights. Some will want three nights.

If we supply dinner (or a mixer) on Friday evening, lunch and dinner on Saturday, and lunch on Sunday, then breakfast and snacks would be up to the individual.

Providing overnight security for our gear will cost extra.

At this point we're looking at a cost of about $330 per person if we get at least 25 attendees who do the "whole package." That's the rental of the three rooms for Friday evening and all day Saturday, rental of one room on Sunday, four meals, two nights in a shared room (double occupancy), and security for two nights.
    We can use fewer meeting rooms, reduce the number of days, etc. to reduce costs and time commitment. Actually doing most or all of the event on Friday instead of Saturday will result in significant savings due to facility usage costs. Then Saturday could be for tours and special visits. (?)

Suggestions?
    Out.

Scale back

I would opt for number 4, scaling back, AND re-schedule for more time to consider what folks are looking forward to most to help prioritize the scale-back.

Moving events to Friday, away from the weekend, might make it harder on long distance travellers, and probably make it really hard to attract less committed attendees

4. Scale back the event and see if more people will come to a smaller, less expensive event.

We can use fewer meeting rooms, reduce the number of days, etc. to reduce costs and time commitment. Actually doing most or all of the event on Friday instead of Saturday will result in significant savings due to facility usage costs. Then Saturday could be for tours and special visits. (?)

Suggestions?
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Maybe move it to late spring-early summer.....more time for folks to plan.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

RIP 2009
    A later date would give people more time to plan, but scaling back just means there's less of interest to make travelling worthwhile, so you'd only end up getting mostly locals.

John

what is of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    ...of interest
    John
    Well, what is of interest?

Big JBL system demo/shootout?
    Small/Medium system demo/shootout?
    Do It Yourself systems?
    Vintage systems?
    JBL factory tour?
    Visit to Steve Schell's house/audio museum?
    Visit to Toddalin's home theater?

What is most attractive/essential?
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

We love to go...

BUT, and I believe you people understand that you guys in the US have to fill up the numbers at first, as there is no way we or anybody in other countries can confirm that we are coming before we know this is going to happend.

The reason is simple. When we have paid our flight tickets, these are not refoundable, and we don't want to take the trip if the meeting is not going to happend.

I believe the best thing to do is to set a later date so more members who needs more time can sign up.

The question is: Are there more members who want this? There must be, as I believe this will be a lot of fun.

Rolf

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by glen
    Well, what is of interest?

Big JBL system demo/shootout?
    Small/Medium system demo/shootout?
    Do It Yourself systems?
    Vintage systems?
    JBL factory tour?
    Visit to Steve Schell's house/audio museum?
    Visit to Toddalin's home theater?

What is most attractive/essential?
    Personally, I was looking forward to hearing the Performance series, L7's, and 4430's I was pretty sure Ti Dome would bring, plus some of the 434X series, hopefully some of the 12" LSR series, XPL series, etc. What was significant is that they would be basically in the same environment, so valid comparisons could be made, under the same circumstances. I don't know if a "shootout" is necessary - I'd just like to hear different fairly high-end stuff to give me some direction for the future, (future goals). Stuff that not everyone gets a chance to hear very often. A JBL tour would be almost requisite - a longer lead time would likely make this more realistic.

I think home visits would be pretty impractical, unless it was small groups at a time - maybe special order only?

John

I would prefer a bigger turn-out and if delaying the event is required to attain this, so be it.

If the group were to stay small, we could do a few sets of speakers here. Our living room is 16 x 28 with sloping 8-16' ceiling. Would only require some shifting of furniture.

So, we are facing a decision point.

1. Cancel the event.

2. Find 16 more committed individuals.

3. Change the date and hope for more interest.

Suggestions?
    all of the above.........Let's see what people really want and maybe do some more polls of what people would want..Best time..maybe do a pole asking if the price was too much etc. personally I would just come to meet people and have some fun for a weekend.

Also...It would be nice to hear SOMETHING ( anything ) from or about JBL...

Thread Information