Thread: how close are they

how close are they

after looking at the specifications / thiele-small parameters
    of the TAD 1602 bass driver and the jbl 2235H they seem similer .
    In your opinions would the tad 1602 be suitable for a 4430's or a 4435 ?

also I seen that the 2420 horn driver can use the same diaphragm as the 2426 H/J? would the 2420 be a suitable replacement for the 2426 with no real problems or losses ?
    why I ask is that I have a few around and would like to see if it would work out.

would you be interested in selling any 2420's - aluminum diaphragms, orig if possible?

Quote Originally Posted by kartsmart
    Why I ask is that I have a few around and would like to see if it would work out.
    It'd be easy to try out. Find the 2344(A) horns and build NL200t3 crossovers. 2420 with the original aluminum diaphragms will work nicely. In that case, use the "-16" version of the crossover for impedance match.

Don't be in a big rush to change out the diaphragms until you listen to both. The newer diamond-surround titaniums sound bright, even harsh, to some, in comparison.

Mount your TAD's in boxes tuned per BB6P "extended bass" alignment, set the M/H drivers and horns on top, and see how it all plays together. You may have to use an L-Pad to balance them LF vs. HF, or biamp. Having an RTA will be a big help in getting it done. 1602's sensitivity is 95.2 dB vs. 2235's 93 dB, according to BB6P. I don't find the response curve on the TAD site for comparison....

I have the DBX studio drive rack so RTA is posible, I beleave the tight bass of the TAD's could sound nice ? time will tell
    All I need is a pair of 2344A horns/ any members out there can help me out ?
    If this works out I'll need a total of 5 horns = 5.1 sound suround

pelly3s
    the 4430's I own had TAD 1601's in them when I first purchased them. It sounded great but was slightly too efficient to be running with the 2425. The 1602 plays pretty solid down into the low 20's but might be a little too efficient in the same hand

biamping would be the easy way out of it so you can match levels

Biamping is the plan and the drive rack should make this easer with all the filter opitions. but still need the horns. I see there is a pair on ebay, what is a good price for the 2344A ?

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by kartsmart
    after looking at the specifications / thiele-small parameters
    of the TAD 1602 bass driver and the jbl 2235H they seem similer .
    In your opinions would the tad 1602 be suitable for a 4430's or a 4435 ?
    - After running some SIMs, it seems to me that the 1602 is a kissing cousin to the 2234 ( rather than the 2235h which has more moving mass due to its' additional 30-something gram mass-ring ).

- Here's a couple of .gif(s) for a look-see . ( some of these ts parameters seem wonky but one will get the general idea )

- I'd treat the TL-1602 as a 2234H and design around that comparison . You'll find a few useful hints on this forum for designing with the 2234 in mind . Use the search feature of this site to bring back all the possible hits for'; 2234H ( it shouldn't overload your reading time ).
    - You'll find the 1602 ( like the 2234h ) can nicely exist in a 4 cu' box tuned to around 30 hz . Room gain ( in the LF frequencies ) along with just a bit of EQ will nicely fill out the systems performance curve the VLF area.

- For the horns 2426/2344 compensation curve download the network schematic for the N3134 from JBL Pro . Even when biamping , you should buildup most of the HF portion from this network to get the benefit of its' curve ( proper HF compensation for the 2344 horn ) . This horn circuit is optimized for the 2425H diaphragm / so that is what I suggest you use. They can be installed in your 2420 drivers . Purchase a pair new from JBL . Or; time to time they ( actual JBL NOS diaphragms ) showup on eBay at surprisingly inexpensive prices.

JBL Network Schematics

- Zilch is working on , and offering up quite a few solutions to the "2-Way" approach if you want to explore using a newer more obtainable horn .
    - You'll need to read all of Zilchs' Q & D 4430 thread ( tome ) I mean thread to ferret out the info you need .

Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information