Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with L212 / 112A needs big help!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    The 112A/H by its self makes the L212 system better than 95% of any other HT system now available and will still be better at playing music.
    Nice powerful motor sporting a 3-inch edgewound copper ribbon voice coil and smooth frequency response from 90 Hz to 3 kHz (usable response in a 0.4 cubic foot sealed volume to 70 Hz). One of the finest 8-inch transducers JBL ever made. Seven of them in surround must be stunning.

Who do I get to mod the crossovers (do I trade off accuracy for dynamics??) and repair the 112As the proper way? Also, help me put together a pair of subs to mate these with? I'm east coast- DC/Baltimore. Anyone? Cash+Beer

It's no secret I was taking offers; I'm thinking I may keep em- especially after hearing them.

I'm a fan of the earlier STASIS circuit based amps put out by Threshold/Accurus and I hope this amp will be a good match for the L212.

Actually, I take offense to that comment - its arrogant, ignorant and just unnecessary. We're here about a hobby of sound - and such divisive comments are unwarranted. Surely your vocabulary is wide enough that you can find some other way to insult magneplanars and speakers you don't like ...

I like it, any that don't, well I guess we know what you are.
    [QUOTE=Giskard] Does your friend with the fagnepans know you paid $50 for these?

Obsolete
    <yawn>

I like it, any that don't, well I guess we know what you are.
    Dude,

That is so, like, 5th grade.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Nice powerful motor sporting a 3-inch edgewound copper ribbon voice coil and smooth frequency response from 90 Hz to 3 kHz (usable response in a 0.4 cubic foot sealed volume to 70 Hz). One of the finest 8-inch transducers JBL ever made. Seven of them in surround must be stunning.
    YES, they are stunning. I tell people that have heard this system that all the bass they're listening too isn't just from the subs.
    From what I've read elsewhere, the voice coil and magnet were really designed for a 12" woofer. No wonder its my favorite 8" driver.

As for the mid-range lacking, I would have to say, using the 2105 instead of the LE5-9, as I do in the front 3, is a fair improvement. Not the least of which is the fact that the 2105 has more power handling capabilities than the LE5-9.
    Last edited by MJC; 01-17-2006 at 05:43 PM. Reason: add

MJC
    [QUOTE=hjames]Actually, I take offense to that comment - its arrogant, ignorant and just unnecessary. We're here about a hobby of sound - and such divisive comments are unwarranted. Surely your vocabulary is wide enough that you can find some other way to insult magneplanars and speakers you don't like ...

I take offense to some arrogant yuppie, who thinks electrostatic speakers are be all to end all, and then tells a "friend", that the L212 system he just bought wasn't worth the $50 he paid.

I don't care what you don't like, or take offense to.
    This ol Green Beret has spoken!

Thanks, John! I'm learning a lot! Did you do any crossover mods with that swap?

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Thanks, John! I'm learning a lot! Did you do any crossover mods with that swap?
    The 2105 is the JBL Pro equivalent of the LE5-9 as far as sonic timbre goes.
    I built the original xovers, but added .01 uf caps that go in parallel to the larger caps for each of the 3 drivers, which was a suggestion of Giskard, as was building the main L/R in mirror image, as are the 240Ti and 250Ti.
    The mirror image produces a much better soundstage.

Of coarse, one could build biased networks, using 9 volt batteries, and twice the caps, but as Giskard knows, that's a lot of work and cash.

Deleted due to the pointless nature of the post.

Widget

Hey John.

Again, thanks! So it seems the modifications are pretty universal- must be something to that...I may end up doing something of the same. Not sure what you mean when you say mirroring the L/R. The speakers already look symmetric to me- what am I mising, here?
    Another thing- am I the only one that finds the bases to be distracting? I like the shape (aesthetically speaking), but it seems to contribute NOTHING from a sonic/functionality standpoint. Is it sacreligious to fantisize about removing them (for safe keeping) and replacing them with homebrew concrete form bases?? And what's with those silly little plastic feet? I just GOTTA get some better isolation out of em. Agree?? I'd also love to change the grill cloth. I'd like to build another grill cloth cover from scratch (set aside the original) and put something more acoustically transparent on it. Anyone else done this sort of thing for the L212's?? Am I banned yet??

MJC
    Again, thanks! So it seems the modifications are pretty universal- must be something to that...I may end up doing something of the same. Not sure what you mean when you say mirroring the L/R. The speakers already look symmetric to me- what am I mising, here?
    Click on link below to see a mirror imaged L212, notice how the drivers are offset from center. The other is just opposite.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/a...achmentid=4460

Another thing- am I the only one that finds the bases to be distracting? I like the shape (aesthetically speaking), but it seems to contribute NOTHING from a sonic/functionality standpoint.
    What the base contributes is setting the 066 to the proper elevation, which is ear elevation, when seated

I just GOTTA get some better isolation out of em. Agree?? I'd also love to change the grill cloth. I'd like to build another grill cloth cover from scratch (set aside the original) and put something more acoustically transparent on it. Anyone else done this sort of thing for the L212's?? Am I banned yet??
    Actually, I'd like to get some more of it. I just bought some guitar speaker grille from parts express. Its not cloth, its fiberglass weave or whatever. Its as close as i have found to date. It all right, but not the same.

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by sfellini
    I, for one, am tired of his fag bashing.
    Yeah gets a bit lame for real fags like myself; especially considering this is a forum about loudspeakers with specific rules against personal insults.

“You are not allowed to make personal attacks. Ad hominem attacks and name calling will not be tolerated.” Don McRitchie

But then you get comments such as what Rusnzha writes in thread #8221.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...9&postcount=29

"I get some perverse pleasure from mocking this weenie, but I'm going with some of the better minds here and put this stupid turd burgler on my ignore list so I don't see his funky picture or read his dreck."

Funny thing my PM to Don (more than one month ago) highlighting this was just ignored.

cheers,
    Jarrod
    Whose life partner loves massive, loud, intrusive JBL speakers in our lounge room.

[QUOTE=hjames]Actually, I take offense to that comment - its arrogant, ignorant and just unnecessary. We're here about a hobby of sound - and such divisive comments are unwarranted. Surely your vocabulary is wide enough that you can find some other way to insult magneplanars and speakers you don't like ...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Does your friend with the fagnepans know you paid $50 for these?
    I don't think it as meant that way, the remark was reference to the maggie speaker and not the member and relative to a JBLs they are soft and limp sounding.

Incidentially, I have a couple of good friends with maggies and they both agree the JBL's (at least mine) a have got more "balls and poke" while the former is so "nice and polite".

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I don't think it as meant that way, the remark was reference to the maggie speaker and not the member.
    Ian, it doesn't matter what I meant because there are always going to be those individuals that have to twist something to suit their militant ends. You got my meaning right.

Thread Information