Thread: Fully Horn Loaded

Mike Bates

Fully Horn Loaded

Fully horn loaded with compression drivers from 100 cycles up.

Three 18" hornsubs for 100 cycles down.

Work in progress.

Thumbs up Big Stuff

Nice !

You've been a busy lad !
    - Emilar, Reciprocating Horn Flare ?
    - Apart from how it sounds - how does it measure ?
    ( I have some Selenium horn flares of that design for 1.5" drivers that sound really great - but measure utterly confused - who knew ?? )

<> Earl K

Okay, I have to rub it in at least a little; you said you were DONE with horns! Anyway, it does, of course, look like a great rig. Is this the best sounding one yet? I'll bet it's a blast.

TimG
    Impressive rig. What are you using to handle the crossovers and time delay between all of those horns? It looks like you are still using your BMS driver. I'm using a 4590 on a 2380 horn with the factory crossover. I have a design for a front horn that will use the JBL 2226H from 70 to 500Hz, to run below it, but I will need a bigger horn flare. I'm going to try to audition the BMS 2236 horns once I'm able to find some time to construct horns for the JBLs.

Mike Bates

Re: Big Stuff

Hello, yes the midbass horn is the the Emilar horn with the reprocating flare. It measures great where I use it 100-400 cycle. It's a neat horn. In free space with the EC600 driver it does 150-4K and does measure strangly off axis. On the floor with a little added mass (mortite) on the aluminum diaphram, a spacer, and some felt in the back chamber they go to 100 almost flat. The smaller 300 cycle version the EH330 is pretty good with the same driver and does 300-6K.. I like the 2" throat 220 Hz multicells loaded with either a BMS 4591 (my choice) or the JBL 2482 better in the midrange than the smaller Emilar. They really sound BIG, open, and real .

With my Behringer 1/3rd octave the whole system goes from the lower to upper limit (20-20K) within a couple of db at 14 feet away where I listen. It sounds great.

Originally posted by Earl K
    Nice !

You've been a busy lad !
    - Emilar, Reciprocating Horn Flare ?
    - Apart from how it sounds - how does it measure ?
    ( I have some Selenium horn flares of that design for 1.5" drivers that sound really great - but measure utterly confused - who knew ?? )

<> Earl K

Mike Bates
    Originally posted by mikebake
    Okay, I have to rub it in at least a little; you said you were DONE with horns! Anyway, it does, of course, look like a great rig. Is this the best sounding one yet? I'll bet it's a blast.

I am done with trying to mate a compression driver above 300 hz with a direct radiator below. And I'm done with bass horns that won't do below 40 Hz. IMHO fully horn loaded is the only way to go if you use compression drivers OR use a bass horn like this and some good midrange drivers like these 2123J's and a good high sensitivity tweeter like these ESG1's.

This "FHL" horn system kicks some serious bootey Mike. Come over and hear it if you wish.

Mike Bates
    Hello,

The front horns are aligned physically. The subhorns cross at 100 Hz 4th order with a Marchand crossover and as far as I can tell I hear no echo in the bass. The straight horns from 100 up use a passive series network.

I really like these BMS drivers in the multicells! The tweeter is a Fostex T90A and is what's chocking the system down to 107 db sensitivity.

Haven't had the pleasure of playing with the BMS bass drivers yet.

Mike

Originally posted by TimG
    Impressive rig. What are you using to handle the crossovers and time delay between all of those horns? It looks like you are still using your BMS driver. I'm using a 4590 on a 2380 horn with the factory crossover. I have a design for a front horn that will use the JBL 2226H from 70 to 500Hz, to run below it, but I will need a bigger horn flare. I'm going to try to audition the BMS 2236 horns once I'm able to find some time to construct horns for the JBLs.

Re: Fully Horn Loaded

Originally posted by Mike Bates
    [BWork in progress. [/B]
    Nobody asked about the bongos! I know there's a WHOLE 'nother story goin' on here!

Just foolin' around...

But truly, looking at your living room, man I thought I get away with HiFi debris! Mike, you got me beat!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Charley Rummel

Nice Work!

As a horn lover (OK! the term is 'Horny!') I must say,

Jolly Good!

My compliments to you on your wonderful system.

Regards,
    Charley

Thread Information