Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Violence in the Recording Studio

majick47

Violence in the Recording Studio

Last week in Boston MA four young men were murdered in a home recording studio. Have any members felt physically threatened while working in the studio? I always considered this field to be creative not destructive, I guess times and the music have changed for the worse.

Obsolete
    It's everywhere... a world gone mad.

I'm sure it was one of those Rock or country & western recording studios that are and have always been associated with violence in both in real life and in the lyrics!

majick47

Violence in the Recording Studio

I'm sure rock and country contribute their fair share of violent lyrics, the disceased young men were budding rapp performers.

Quote Originally Posted by majick47
    the disceased young men were budding rapp performers.
    NOOOO! Really? Hard to believe. I mean, think of all those rock and country artists shot dead in their car, barber shop, nightclub...........

Quote Originally Posted by majick47
    I'm sure rock and country contribute their fair share of violent lyrics, the disceased young men were budding rapp performers.
    Which was the point I was making. Rapp music in itself celebrates gangs, violence, bitches & hoes. I have 3 daughters who brought that crap in the house. I listened to the lyrics and banned it from my listening area.

Whatsa matta man,

can'tcha dig this stuff?

Sumovus jes' can't git enuff!

Take your tired mind,

an' stick it up yer !

Don't tell me my song is crass!,

Bitches & hoes,

is what we like,

so go away man,

an' have a nice life!

BURMA SHAVE (couldn't resist!)

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    Which was the point I was making. Rapp music in itself celebrates gangs, violence, bitches & hoes. I have 3 daughters who brought that crap in the house. I listened to the lyrics and banned it from my listening area.
    It is exactly this, why I threw Rap out of my place altogether! Whoever chooses not to ride my cars because i dont play Hip Hop, oh well!

Rap promotes violence, and use of extreme profanity, and the kids really do follow the musics words and act out on them! And the music itself isnt even good! Its so negative, whatever happened to music that made you feel better?

This is not the first incident like this, either, two years ago a very famous rapper from the 80,s was shot dead in his studio here in NY!

Our society has always been image driven, and youth likes to emulate the pop stars and media icons of the moment, but it really has reached new levels of scariness! In the world of Hip Hop, you can catch death quicker than the common cold!

Sad.
    scottyj

There are a few...

rap, hip hop, and urban performers who try to spin a positive message, but in order to sell their stuff they end up spicing it up, grunging it up, and selling out to the negtive images and actions that make so much of this music a form of musical trash.

The context of these musical genres is so destructive that so-called "good" artists are only fooling themselves if they think they can "clean up" this musical mess. So much of it is driven by gangs (and their "organized crime") that it's just a money machine for gangs to get stupid kids to buy into the self-indulgent, irresponsible, parasitic lifestyle.

First, it's music, then it's music videos, then fashion, then movies, then stylin', and TV glorification, then tatoos, then "don't snitch" marketing, then booze, then drugs, then crime, then death.

You gotta get your kids away from all this corruption. It starts by not permitting them to contribute to the success of these despicable people.
    Out.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    rap, hip hop, and urban performers who try to spin a positive message, but in order to sell their stuff they end up spicing it up, grunging it up, and selling out to the negtive images and actions that make so much of this music a form of musical trash.

The context of these musical genres is so destructive that so-called "good" artists are only fooling themselves if they think they can "clean up" this musical mess. So much of it is driven by gangs (and their "organized crime") that it's just a money machine for gangs to get stupid kids to buy into the self-indulgent, irresponsible, parasitic lifestyle.

First, it's music, then it's music videos, then fashion, then movies, then stylin', and TV glorification, then tatoos, then "don't snitch" marketing, then booze, then drugs, then crime, then death.

You gotta get your kids away from all this corruption. It starts by not letting them contribute to the success of these despicable people.
    Actually, its gone WAY beyond this! It is Hollywood and the music mass media and corporations! Hollywood is making movies, the fashion industry glorified Hip Hop, and because of this, more than anything else, is what brought it into mainstream Americas front yard!

Gangster rap, and Hip Hop have been around since the 80,s! It wasnt popular, it was ghetto music! Hollywood glamorized the ghetto gangster image, it sells really well, and this is when it became ultra popular! It coincided at a time when dance music like House, Disco, etc, became almost totally instrumental, leaving a gaping hole in the pop music scene. Rap had lyrics, dance music had none, so Hip Hop became the POP music of the late 90,s and 21st century!

Remember Madonna in the 80,s? Every young woman dressed like the " Material Girl " ! Now they want to look like Lil Kim!

Hip Hop had all the ingredients neccesary to become what it has, artist images, lyrics, and Hollywood back up, and this all happened at the right time, and so Hip Hop took over!

The problem is corporate America is making billions off the genre and they wont give it up, till its done with, and no longer sells!
    scottyj

Double Amen

Educate your children - My #1 JOB!

norealtalent
    Partial
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    The problem is corporate America...
    "You can't close the door when the walls caved in" Weir, Hunter, Hart

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

I actually like some of the more Ghetto stuff...

As you guys know, I grew up in NOLA -- Ghetto sounds used to be the norm down there (don't know what it is like post Katrina, but I hear that most of the population is not there, so I figure most of the labels may have moved to Houston or Baton Rouge)

I actually like some of it; even though most that I like, I like for exactly the reasons you guys here dislike it -- to me it reminds me that the soundtrack to ghetto life is very different than that of suburbia.

and about the peeps that seem determined to kill each other, as sad as it is... that appears to be the way fo the world nowadays -- all you can do is pay attention to your surroundings and be prepared for the worst. Everything happens for a reason, right?

majick47

Violence In The Recording Studio

A few weeks ago I posted re my reluctance to go ahead with a HT setup due to the few new movies that I felt were even worth watching, a quick tour of your local video store should prove my point. As Scott just said todays pop music scene is a toilet. Another recent post by Ken re Westlake and the demise of the large professional recording studios and monitors in favor of basement recording studios and cheap speakers to pump out the excrement leaves someone like me and I suspect many other LH members grateful that we have our JBLs and a collection of records/cds that can be played without offending our friends/family/neighbors.

Thread Information