Thread: well recorded big band music wtd

well recorded big band music wtd

Hi all!

I like a lot of music but ro really display my JBL's capability of dynamics I find big band music great. For example I have a copy of a direct to disc Glenn Miller-session with awsome dynamics. Does anyone here know about good recordings of this kind of music on CD? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Basie Jam

Not the whole band, but BASIE JAM, recorded Dec 10, 1973, is one of my favs - Amaaasing. Doubling Blues will have your feet tapping so hard it hurts.

The King James Version

Again not the full band but one of the most dynamic "big band" recordings I have is Sheffield Labs "The King James Version" featuring Harry james and friends.

Count Basie

Hi,
    - Look for ;
    #1 li'l ol' groovemaker . . . Basie . ( Follow the link for more info,,, its' on Verve )

- This ( Japanese import ) CD is very very good . I don't have the 24/96 version // I have the earlier standard redbook version .

- No Basie fan should be without this CD. All songs and arrangements are by Quincy Jones. This was engineered by Phil Ramone back in April of 1963 ( on either a 3-track or 4-track machine ) .

#2 ; If your playback system has good to great imaging and resolution, I'd also recommend buying Basie, Live at the Sands
    - Recorded live from the stage at the Sands Hotel ( in 1966 in the Copa Room ) . The recording consists of a bunch of blended short sets that Basie played to warm up the Vegas audiences before Frank Sinatra took the stage. Recorded on a 4-track. Every track has a constant underlying din ( sounds like MS pair of mics ) of the clubs' audience noise. If you system has 3D depth , then this is great because the ambience is almost binaural. If your system is lacking in this department then the strongly mixed ambient mics will most likely create playback mush. The bass guitar is too strong in the mix for my liking / but the typical bass knob on most preamps fixes it.
    - Engineered by Lowell Frank .
    - I haven't heard the other half of this 2 CD set ( the Frank Sinatra portion ).

#3;

"Long Live The Chief" is a DDD product on Denon .
    - Recorded in 1986 ( at the "Power Station" ) some 2 years after Basies death this recording is a tribute type performed by the still touring ( and largely intact ) Count Basie Orchestra .
    - I find this record quite interesting since it's an all digital product with the impetus for the record, apparently coming from the Japanese ( specifically the Japanese producer - TAKA WATANBE ) . The american bed tracks were flown to Japan for mixing and mastering at Nippon Columbia. This CD offers an insight into the so called Japanese preference for "tighter" bass .

PS : all three of these CD are full , beginning to end , of great performances by a truly tight, big band .
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Charles Mingus,Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus.the song 11 BS is featured in Jerry Mcguire When Cruise asks What is this music?(sometimes known as Hatian Fight Song)Ah Um is another Mingus title thats a good place to start.Music that swings,deeply rooted in the blues with a dash of Gospel.

Thread Information