Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which amplifier do you use at home.

When it comes to solid state: I'm in the Bryston camp, too. Surprised to see so many others that are! Bryston amps are excellent home theater choices- lotta muscle yet relaxed. But if you're gonna listen to a lot of music with your HT- my choice changes. Personally, I love the STASIS based amps. Find vintage Threshold- and buy. These things have great musical quality and NEVER get hot (very flat though- may not be for everyone) IMO, they make perfect choices for HT/Music set up. You can even pick up the older Nakamichi (which utilized the STASIS circuit) for a song these days on eBay. I have one that if I blindfolded you - you'd swear you were listening to an amp costing 20X it's price (some for as little as $200). Older Acurus amps rock, too. I find the Japanese designed circuit amps are too nasal for extended listening (again, IMO). I start to get a headache after a while (listener fatigue). Brit amps have no ass. Go American! (macs always a good choice if you can swing the ransom these days- valve or solid state). But, at this point- If you're up late at night posting on a forum like this- It's too late for you; I don't think you will ever find an amp that stays parked for long.

All Yamaha.

I just can't afford all of this esoteric gear in the power levels I need.

H/T receiver is an RX-V1400

5 way mains:

P2500S
    P5000S
    P7000S
    P7000S
    and an old P-2050 for the tweeters.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Before, A second-hand Harman Kardon HK6300 , now a second-hand Yamaha RX-V396RDS. It is not an expensive piece, but it sounds very good to my ears. For the moment I use it in stereo, or 2.1 mode.

Yikes, Don! That's a lotta juice. LMAO- You're an addict, man! You must be single, eh? lol.

Musical Fidelity KW 500 for mains and L/R HT. Proceed HPA3 center/sides and rotel RB1080 rears 2 Crown K2's for subs. Other 2 channel system uses 2 Proceed HPA2's bridged for L/R.

The KW 500 is a nice amp but on the more expensive side.
    The Proceed HPA2's on the other hand sound pretty good and can be had for quite a bit less on audiogon. They are very heavy.
    The Rotel is just for rears and I have never tried it for mains.
    The Crowns are great for subs however I did use them for main amps for about 2 years until the upgrade bug bit

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali
    All Yamaha.

I just can't afford all of this esoteric gear in the power levels I need.

H/T receiver is an RX-V1400

5 way mains:

P2500S
    P5000S
    P7000S
    P7000S
    and an old P-2050 for the tweeters.

I have a DSP-A1 with a matching tuner if you want to upgrade it.

lfh
    Pre: Audio Research SP3A
    Crossover: JBL M552
    HF: Nelson Pass DIY Zen Amp (Class A MOS-FET)
    LF: Albarry S 508

Quite some bang for the bucks IMHO.

Fredrik

I use A Harmon Kardon Avr-520 as my surround receiver and use the Classic Pioneer SX-1250 as my main receiver.

Hey that makes 2 Perreaux amps and counting.. I'm using a 1150B 100 watts a side with an Audio Note M2 Phono Tubed pre.. works real well. The Perreaux is a mosfet amp and for what its worth I have hard time telling the diff between it and my Jadis Defy DA30 tube amp.

And whats with evertyone talking about gobs of power all the time..? I hardly ever hit more than 1-2 watts.

Bernard
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    lol i need to look into amplifiers more (and speakers for that matter), im using a Denon DRA-625RA (and i love it tho) what would one suggest i look into if/when i move onto surround sound. Also that MAC 501 MONOBLOCKS looks like a monster.
    Young, but i love speakers!

I am using Bryston 4B pro's and a Sansui 9090DB on a second system for FM.

Quote Originally Posted by matsj
    I´m on amplifier hunt now to my stereo / cinema at home and i wonderer what you use at home.

regards mats
    For absolute dampning, dynamics and headroom perhaps you should consider a Crest CA-18 for your mains or sub woofer set up. Although a bit expensive, it will last a lifetime and has more clean power then just about anything else out there (other then the Crest 10001). As far as the rest of the system I tend to agree with many of the other posts- its difficult to choose any one amp with so many listening prefences. Some prefer the warmness of tubes while others like the tightness of solid state, I myself think that the lows or large mains might sound excellent with the Crest amp I mentioned with the rest of the system being driven by some nice tube amp(s).
    Power is series business

Yep ,

The Bryston stuff is nice but not cheap.

Nice to see a Zen Lover among us.

I am going to try a Kenwood 7 channel wonder box for grins shortly, has a Shark chip in the decoder.

My theory is I prefer a more engaging and romantic amp for cd's and vinyl and very dynamic amps for HT. Perhaps its a blending of the titanium in the drivers and the right amp that gives the "right " sound.

Currently I use a PSS amp on the bass end (of a 4345 system) and a Passlabs Aleph 60 Hot Rodded to 6amps bias current for the mids and highs. Its a hyprid approach but its seems to work okay.

At the moment I am building a 150 watt / channel A/b Vertical mosfet amp designed by an Australian engineer Greg Ball (ex Mark Levinson and Usher), its a Beta version and will let you know how it goes. About 10 years ago he put out a thing called the Eidetic, it was so good that rumour has it Krell forced him out of the market.

PSS AUDIO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Yep ,

Currently I use a PSS
    A PSS Amp ....

If reveiwers and magazines are right, probably the best audio pro amp and one of the very best "Hi-Fi" amp ...

What do they say?

02/2006 - DIAPASON - STUDIO B :
    Page 1 = http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/DIAPA...STUDIOB_uk.jpg

Note = 5* Ease, a great deal of ventilation and information. Very good stereo picture. Thierry Soveaux.

02/2006 – HIGH FIDELITY - STUDIO A :

http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/Haute...TDIOA_UK_1.jpg
    http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/Haute...TDIOA_UK_2.jpg

The PSS Studio can boast that it takes the listener a giant's step forward in the world of music reproduction. Christophe-Emmanuel LUCY.

11-12/2005 - SONO ACHAT - STUDIO A

Its main advantage, in our opinion, concerns its ability to stay perfectly true to the dynamics of the original source, with a balance of tonality always impeccable. Ghislain Prugnard.

11/2005 - Revue du Son - STUDIO A

Sound that is very "pro", to be taken in the noble sense of the term, for a reasonable price. Jean Hiraga.

09/2005 - WHAT HIFI - STUDIO A : http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/WHATH...studioA_uk.jpg

The STUDIO A reproduces perfectly the various kinds of music one feeds it. G.P.

-----------------------------------------

(Moderator note: Yuri has a financial interest in PSS Audio)

Was that last post an advertisement?

I'm currently using a pair of 22 watt mono block 845 based tube amps on my mids and highs... they're sounding pretty darn good to me.

Widget

Thread Information