Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK.....I just got a Fisher 500-C tube receiver

OK.....I just got a Fisher 500-C tube receiver

It sounds nice and I think I am gonna use it to run the Paragon for awhile. Any info on this bad boy?

As always.......TYIA!!!!

BTW.......ANY forum members that make it to San Diego are invited over for beers & tunes.

Congrats, Bee. That's a classic. If he's not too busy-member "oldmics" can tell you more about it; He is well versed on vintage Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Congrats, Bee. That's a classic. If he's not too busy-member "oldmics" can tell you more about it; He is well versed on vintage Fisher.
    Since my forced "Semi Retirment" I have been finding a ton of gear. I bought a whole system yesterday:

Fisher 500-C Receiver
    Sansui G-7500 Receiver
    Panasonic RD-2900 Turntable
    Sansui SP-3500 Speakers

I will probably flip the stuff later but I am SO into cleaning it up and playing with it now. I will add a pic later

Here ya go....

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    It sounds nice and I think I am gonna use it to run the Paragon for awhile. Any info on this bad boy?

As always.......TYIA!!!!

BTW.......ANY forum members that make it to San Diego are invited over for beers & tunes.
    Great find from the classic Fisher line. Stereophile did a "perspective piece" on this (I am almost sure it was this model) in a rather recent issue. Check out their site out, it was an interesting article.

Hope your beer stock is not as "aged" as your audio equipment stock!

DavidF

Found it....http://www.stereophile.com/historica...her/index.html

Nice vintage collection!

I want to see what's lurking behind the Sansui grilles!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I want to see what's lurking behind the Sansui grilles!

Widget

I cant get them off. Any ideas?

They're probably held in place with small wood screws....examine the corners.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    They're probably held in place with small wood screws....examine the corners.

No, There is nothing like that on the front or back

Are they just held-on with velcro strips? That was pretty common (on non JBL brands...)
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Are they just held-on with velcro strips? That was pretty common (on non JBL brands...)
    I have pulled pretty darn hard on them and they dont budge or make that famous velcro sound

Here are a couple of thoughtful Fisher examinations, the 400 and 800 are quite similar to your 500C:

http://antiqueradio.org/gallery.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    I have pulled pretty darn hard on them and they dont budge or make that famous velcro sound
    Hey Bee,
    The grills have probably never been off of them and that vintage "velcro" can be tough stuff. A friend of mine has some old Rectilinear Low Boys and it took a lot of of careful pulling and prying to get them off. We had a reason other than curiosity, however. One of the 15 or so drivers in it, OK so maybe that's an exageration, was making a terrible buzzing noise so we had to remove it. If you are determined to get them off you may try a flexible putty knife to get in behind the grill, just be careful!

On a side note, I'll bet you have a Superbee! My uncle had a 69 440 six pak with the fiberglass hood w/scoop. Bought it brand new and had it for years. He traded it for a Ford pick-up and some cash just before the muscle car prices went through the roof! He has been kicking himself ever since. Oh, he blew up the 390 in the Ford about a month after he got it. Sheared the crank right in half! Needless to say it lunched the bottom end of the motor. He should have stuck with the Mopar, or bought a Chevy!

Love the 400...

I cut my teeth on this one. My Dad has had one since 1968 and I grew up listening to a Dual 1019 playing through it to EV triaxes. When I was old enough, I "interited" another one that was in the family and I used it daily until the AV craze hit in the late 90's and I just had to have a surround receiver.

I really loved the sound of the 400's amp. It was super smooth with plenty of bass and a decent amount of power. These are keepers...enjoy your new toy .

I still have some spare output tubes if anyone needs them. Make me a reasonable offer through a PM and they are yours...

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by oznob
    Hey Bee,
    The grills have probably never been off of them and that vintage "velcro" can be tough stuff. A friend of mine has some old Rectilinear Low Boys and it took a lot of of careful pulling and prying to get them off. We had a reason other than curiosity, however. One of the 15 or so drivers in it, OK so maybe that's an exageration, was making a terrible buzzing noise so we had to remove it. If you are determined to get them off you may try a flexible putty knife to get in behind the grill, just be careful!

On a side note, I'll bet you have a Superbee! My uncle had a 69 440 six pak with the fiberglass hood w/scoop. Bought it brand new and had it for years. He traded it for a Ford pick-up and some cash just before the muscle car prices went through the roof! He has been kicking himself ever since. Oh, he blew up the 390 in the Ford about a month after he got it. Sheared the crank right in half! Needless to say it lunched the bottom end of the motor. He should have stuck with the Mopar, or bought a Chevy!

I am afraid to pull too much. I dont want to break that fancy wood work. I thought I might go thru the back.

The 6 Pack Super Bee your uncle had is what I am going for next. They are clocking in at around 40 to 50 K now

Thread Information