Thread: Electronic Crossover

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Electronic Crossover

I've assembled almost everything I need for a reproduction of a large format 4-way monitor and am considering the crossover question.

Just read Luxmanlover's comments on an old thread about the handiness of an electronic crossover when setting up a multiway speaker, and in any case, I will need one of these for the bass to bass/mid division.

I've been looking into them and had thought to try and get one of the classics--the Crown VFX2 and 4, the Urei 525, but they seem to be bid up on eBay just now.

There are the JBL crossovers using cards: people seem to have good things to say about them, but I'm not sure of the card supply.

I'm a little wary of the newer ones by various brands because the prices make me expect heavy use of low quality parts--especially IC opamps--dbx for example--or maybe that shouldn't really be a cause for concern.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if for experimental purposes it might make sense to go all the way modern to a digital unit like the Behringer 2496, which would give very great flexibility.

I would appreciate hearing of your experience with these or other worthy possibilities.

I'm interested in 1) Sound quality; 2) usefulness/flexibility; 3) connectivity. Right now my amps are the usual nightmare mixture of RCA, 1/4" T/R/S/ and XLR.

Thank you,

David
    Last edited by speakerdave; 09-30-2003 at 06:14 PM.

Thread Information