Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial Number registry?

Purchase order 1959

Here is the purchase order from September 1959.

Note the please rush! under the order date.

The second photo is the comment from Bob Perkins, stating they would shipt it that day if they coud get truck pick up.

Sold by: (I think) Rene Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
    Here is the purchase order from September 1959.

Note the please rush! under the order date.

The second photo is the comment from Bob Perkins, stating they would shipt it that day if they coud get truck pick up.

Sold by: (I think) Rene Martin
    Great detailed info and pictures DoctorD!
    Exactly the kind of information we're hoping to collect in this thread.

The 1133 serial number on your 175 driver is the lowest I have seen of the sequential serial numbers that followed the date-code serial numbers. And I believe the 175 was the first component to switch to the sequential system.

Thanks a lot for the great posts!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

L100 parts

L100 parts in separate ebay auctions. Parts out of a L100 "pair" with somewhat distant serial numbers 74395A and 96807A, over 20,000 numbers apart!

L100 serial number 74395A and 96807A
    123A-1 serial number 113926 and 146193
    LE5-2 serial number 81768 and 107213
    LE25 no serial numbers

woofers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

from auction description:
    Pair JBL 12" Woofer Speakers Signature 123A-1 L100
    Both speakers are in great working order (pulled from a set of L100's). Serial #'s are 146193 and 113926. No damage to cones or surrounds. A little dust in the surrounds but overall look nice. Some paint rubbing on the rear black chasis frames.

midranges in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-JBL-Midrang...QQcmdZViewItem

Pair JBL Midrange Speakers LE 5-2 from L100's
    Both mids are in great working condition (pulled from a set of L100's). Serial #'s are 107213 and 81768. Each measures 4-1/2" across. No damage to cones or surrounds. A little dust in the surround but overall in nice shape.

tweeters in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-JBL-LE25-Tw...QQcmdZViewItem

Pair JBL LE25 Tweeters from L100's
    Tweeters are in great working order (8 ohms), pulled from a set of L100's. Mounting plates are 4-1/4" across. As you can see the foam is deteriorating (I will do my best when I pack them to preserve the condition but as you can see they should be either removed or replaced). No damage to cones or surrounds.

crossovers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-JBL-L100-Sp...QQcmdZViewItem

Pair JBL L100 Speaker Crossovers
    I pulled these from a working pair of L100's (see my other auctions for the drivers). I hadn't actually intended on pulling these so when I was checking the drivers in the cabinets I didn't check the presence and brilliance controls (I did turn them and they were scratchy sounding but didn't really check them thoroughly), so will need a spray of spot cleaner. Includes the speaker wire posts.
    glen

Just thinkin' out loud here, in relation to DoctorD's C31 system. The paperwork seems to indicate the sale of an enclosure rather than a complete system. The woofers are the early cast pot style which we generally understand to have been made from 1953 until 1956. The dealer could have kept them in stock until 1959, or they could have been removed from an earlier C32 or C33 enclosure. Anyway, my thinking is that we should not necessarily correlate the high frequency driver, woofers and enclosure paperwork in terms of the serial number database.

right

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Just thinkin' out loud here, in relation to DoctorD's C31 system. The paperwork seems to indicate the sale of an enclosure rather than a complete system. The woofers are the early cast pot style which we generally understand to have been made from 1953 until 1956. The dealer could have kept them in stock until 1959, or they could have been removed from an earlier C32 or C33 enclosure. Anyway, my thinking is that we should not necessary correlate the high frequency driver, woofers and enclosure paperwork in terms of the serial number database.
    Hi Steve,

your'e absolutely right.....I had a look for the registry and there the nearly confirmed date for the drivers is end of 1955, this also for the single drivers as the cabinet.
    130B with this number....also from 1955.

regards

HP
    Last edited by Hofmannhp; 02-01-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: in cause of wrong sentence
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Enclosure Only?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Just thinkin' out loud here, in relation to DoctorD's C31 system. The paperwork seems to indicate the sale of an enclosure rather than a complete system. The woofers are the early cast pot style which we generally understand to have been made from 1953 until 1956. The dealer could have kept them in stock until 1959, or they could have been removed from an earlier C32 or C33 enclosure. Anyway, my thinking is that we should not necessary correlate the high frequency driver, woofers and enclosure paperwork in terms of the serial number database.
    You may be right about it being a purchase order for the enclosure only Steve. I also noticed the the first digit in the net price column was a '1', a price of $100 to $199 would be about right for an enclosure only. But that would be way too low for a complete system, although the components may have been listed separately

I sent a pm to DoctorD inquiring about any other info listed on the purchase order (system components?).
    The RUSH status of the order may indicate that the enclosure was replacing a damaged enclosure from an earlier system that was already in use and needed to be repaired quickly. It's great that this paperwork from so many years ago is still showing up!

This probably would have been one of the last C31's sold. It is no longer listed on the December 1959 JBL price list as either a complete system, or an enclosure only. Just the C31H "horn structure only" is available by that time. I guess the horn structure was sold separately for installs in commercial sytems or custom cabinetry.
    glen

1959 purchase date

The C-31 enclosure was purchased right after a Hi-Fi demonstration in Los Angeles as told to me by my father. It was his first JBL speaker and I am quite sure he purchased the speaker system at the same time as it was not a replacement cabinet. Unfortunately I was unable to locate any documentation on the speaker purchase.

C-31

Here is another C-31.

I am not sure of any dates on this one.

2) 130 b matching serial # 303169

1) Horn serial # 303161

1) 175 DLH driver serial # 30374

1) N1200 Crossover serial # 33147

Additional pictures in the photo gallery.

Thanks again DoctorD!

[quote=DoctorD;147179]
    I am not sure of any dates on this one.
    quote]

Wow! Another great vintage system!
    According to my current theory of the date-code serial numbering the first digit of a five or six digit serial number on a cut-corners label is the last digit of the 1950's year it was made, so that first 3 would 1953. The next two digits would indicate the month, so the 03 would mean March of 1953 was when these components were assembled (some systems contain components made two or three months apart).
    I think the last two or three digits may represent a particular design specification, or version, of the driver on which it appears. But that's only a guess.

[quote=DoctorD;147179]
    1) N1200 Crossover serial # 33147
    quote]

The 33147 on the crossover is probably a typo (I've seen a few) and should be 303147

Thanks again for another great set of info!
    glen

001 system from C34 cabinet

001 system from C34 cabinet in separate ebay auctions
    These are from a JBL factory cabinet model D34001M that the seller should be auctioning soon

D34001M (C34) cabinet serial number 3026
    130A serial number 31169
    175 serial number N 31174
    1217-1290 horn serial number 31169 (?)
    N-1200 serial number 311147

woofer in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Early-JIM-L...QQcmdZViewItem

This 15" early vintage JIM LANSING Full Range 16 Ohm speaker, came out of the C-34 Enclosure. I will also have available the tweeter and midrange. The enclosure will be made available as well. This is not a D-130, it is the more sought after, and earlier 130A. On the grey frame is a white JIM LANSING decal. Also has a small tag that shows serial #31169 as well as 16 Ohm, etc. On the cone and stamped in white is 130202, and in red is 625. Everything is original, The cone has NO stains, holes, tears, cracks, mold, etc. And it is very hard to find these early versions with such a perfect surround. The chassis has NO scratches, dents, rust, etc. The magnet cover is a thick wrinkle grey finish. I have owned many vintage speakers, rarely do I find them in such beautiful condition, this speaker is guaranteed to work with NO problems such as voice coil rubbing, shorts, or open voice coil etc.

driver and horn in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Vintage...QQcmdZViewItem

This is an all original early JAMES B LANSING model 175 vintage tweeter with model 1217-1290 horn assembly. Serial #N-31174 Tweeter, & 31169 horn. It is in great condition and was part of a 2 way system in a C-34 cabinet. There are NO dents, scratches, chips, etc, decals are clean and perfect, I tried the tweeter out and it works perfect, it is guaranteed, not to be shorted or open, etc.

crossover in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Orig-Vintage-JIM...QQcmdZViewItem

This is an early JAMES B. LANSING Crossover model N-1200, It is from the same C-34 cabinet as the other Jim Lansing speakers I have on ebay. It is in terrific condition even the decal is in great condition. It says model No. N-1200. Impedance 16 Ohm, serial No.311147. Thick black plastic faceplate is also in great condition with NO rust or oxidation on screws, and white lettering is clean and bright. Pointer knob is original and in perfect condition as well. Metal casing has the same grey wrinkled finish as the magnet cover on the 130 A, and is in clean condition with NO dents, scratches, etc.
    glen

jbllover

jbl 175 late 60s 16 ohm commpresion drivers

hello I have a pair of late 60s early 70s jbl 175 drivers rated at 16 ohms and have dcr ohm resistance readings @ 5.9 & 6.3 Can anyone tell me if these readings are good ? or low resistance and are in need of service? thanks for any insite on this matter jbllover......

Quote Originally Posted by jbllover View Post
    hello I have a pair of late 60s early 70s jbl 175 drivers rated at 16 ohms and have dcr ohm resistance readings @ 5.9 & 6.3 Can anyone tell me if these readings are good ? or low resistance and are in need of service? thanks for any insite on this matter jbllover......
    Hi JBLLover,

I don't know if those resistances would be normal for a 16 ohm driver.

You'd probably have more luck posting your question in the Lansing Product Technical Help forum here:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    glen

L100 parts

L100 parts in separate ebay auctions

L100 serial number 82729A and 82734A
    123A-1 serial number 123624 and 123686
    LE5-2 serial number 87828 and 87835
    LE25 no serial numbers

woofers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1

JBL 123A-1 - 12" Woofers from L100 Speakers Matched Mint 123A1
    An exceptional matched pair of JBL 12" inch woofers, pulled from a pair of factory delivered L100 cabinets. Original cones with perfect white aquaplas and factory seals still in place (see pictures). Very close serial numbers, though not consecutive, show they are from the same lot and manufacturing run. 123624 and 123686.
    Sonicaly perfect, without voice coil rubbing or distortion. Drivers are complete and without damage of any kind. Center dust caps have never been pushed in. A beautiful set to use as drop in replacements for any L100, 4311 or 4312 speakers. These also make great guitar or bass speakers for your project cab.

Hi RessurectionAudio, Can you please tell me the serial number of the cabinet these woofers came out of?
    Hello, the serial numbers are on the crossovers which I will also be listing soon. The numbers are 82729A and 82734A. Hope this helps, Todd.

midranges in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-LE5-2-4-Midr...QQcmdZViewItem

JBL LE5-2 4" Midrange from L100 Speakers Mint LE 5-2
    A beautiful, matched pair of JBL 4" inch midrange drivers, pulled from a pair of factory delivered L100 cabinets. Original cones are in perfect condition. Very close serial numbers, though not consecutive, show they are from the same lot and manufacturing run. 87828 and 87835.
    Sonicaly perfect, without voice coil rubbing or distortion. Drivers are complete and without damage of any kind. Center dust caps have never been pushed in. A beautiful set to use as drop in replacements for any L100, 4311 or 4312 speakers or in your own custom project.

tweeters in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-LE25-Tweeter...QQcmdZViewItem

JBL LE25 Tweeters from L100 Speakers -Good Cond. LE-25
    A good working pair of JBL LE25 paper cone tweeters, pulled from a pair of L100 cabinets. Drivers work well, but centers have been pushed in, as is unfortunately common for these units.
    Original foam donuts have disapeared with age, but excellent replacement foam rings/donuts are available here on ebay for as little as $10 dollars a pair.
    glen

030 system in Acousticraft cabinets

030 system in Acousticraft cabinets in ebay auction.
    in description seller calls the crossovers N1200s when they are actually N2400s, but lists all the serial numbers:

D130 serial number 44184 and 44585
    075 serial number 21206 and 21210
    N2400 serial number 13479 and 13483

in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ACOUSTIC...QQcmdZViewItem

AUCTION FOR GRAMPA'S VINTAGE ACOUSTIC-CRAFT JBL STEREO SPEAKERS---IN GOOD CONDITION---WORK GREAT---NICE TONE---EACH CABINET CONTAINS D130 15" SPEAKER AND N1200 CROSSOVER + 075 BULLET HORN---HERE ARE SERIAL #'S 2 X D130 16 OHMS # 44184 AND 44585 ---2 X CROSSOVERS N1200 16 OHMS # 13479 AND 13483---2 X 075 BULLET HORNS 16 OHMS # 21206 AND 21210----------1 OWNER--------NICE CABINETS-3/4" WOOD---------------36 1/2 WIDE X 20" DEEP X 31" TALL WITH LEGS ---$300.00 S/H U.S.A. OR LOCAL PICKUP WELCOME---INTERNATIONL BIDDERS WELCOME, EMAIL FOR SHIPPING QUOTE---NO RESERVE AUCTION---EMAIL ANY QUESTIONS---
    glen

1950 D-1005 refinished & relisted

The cabinet of this 1950 D-1005 system was painted black when it was first listed on ebay and in this thread here:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&postcount=310

Now it has been refinished in something resembling the original Prima Vera Blonde and relisted in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-JAMES-B-LANS...em170082296771

Noted in this thread again to hopefully avoid confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    1950 D-1005 with D-1050 system in ebay auction
    The originally primavera blonde finished D-1005 cabinet has been painted black (?!?). No serial number given for cabinet. Seller seems to be going along with my interpretation of the date codes, giving a July 1950 date to the 5007 numbered components and November 1950 to the 5011 serial numbered D175.

D130B serial number 5007 on both
    D175 serial number 5011
    N1200 crossover serial number 5007
    H1000 horn

listed in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1950-JBL...QQcmdZViewItem

Vintage JBL D1050 Speaker 1950

Offered is a JBL D1050 corner speaker. It consist of two D130B 32 ohm 15" woofers in series to make 16 ohms, it has a 175H tweeter with very rare multi-cell horn lense and N1200 / N1000 cross-over. The cabinet is original but it has been painted. Originally offered in prima-vera blonde, dark mahogany, and utility grey. Prima-vera blonde was the most expensive finish. This speaker has all components made in 1950. By the serial numbers used at that time. This was one of the last units made by Jim Lansing's personally before he died. Cones are original and so are the other components. Cones on both 15" drivers are perfect with no cracks or blems. These speakers are nearly mint 10/10 condition. Unfortunately the cabinet was painted black which covers the prima-vera blonde. Could be an easy fix by a cabinet shop to strip the paint.

Please don't ask to have components removed !!! it will be sold as complete speaker.

This speaker was originally purchased from Hal Cox in 1951.
    Stayed in family till I purchased.

Hal Cox - Hal has allowed us to capture a sense of the time and personalities involved in the birth of the hi-fi phenomenon. Hal has been extremely generous with his time, in particular, allowing Steve Schell to document both his life and his collection of vintage audio equipment. As a personal friend of James B. Lansing, he has given us first hand insight into the personality of the man.

Dimensions are 34 1/2" x 17 1/2" x 50 1/2"High. Net weight 130.0 lbs/58.8kg.

The inside has the following early flatback components:
    1 x 8 multi-cell horn with D-175 16 Ohms Driver. Measured DCR reads 4.0 Ohms.
    2 x Jim Lansing D130B 32 Ohms 15" Woofers. Cone #130-202. Woofers are MINT. No holes, no tears, no rubs. Measured DCR of woofers read 6.0 Ohms.

WOOFER AND X-OVER NETWORK HAVE THE SAME SERIAL # = 5007
    WHICH IS JULY 1950

HORN HAS SERIAL # 5011 WHICH = NOVEMBER 1950
    glen

Thread Information