Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial Number registry?

Serial Numbers

Hi Glen: Sorry for taking so long to reply to your request for my data. I don't have as much serial data as you might hope for. The only data I have accumulated is on the Sovereign and Olympus, and it's not that much. Over the years I have owned many Sovereign I/Sovereign II and Olympus/Apollo pairs and I have kept serial data on the systems and all of their components, and have included some data on other systems that I did not own. On these models there is definately a correlation between the cabinet serial numbers and the internal components and conclusions on date of manufacture/sale can be made. You are welcome to any data that I have. I can get it to you on an Excel Spreadsheet. Just let me know. Rick

JBL-Registry

Hi All,

after a short time we gathered together 227 drivers/speaker (most) with their history in a list.
    Thanks for Contribution till now to:

Glen, rpstephen, henflet, thevott, Rolf, eMtnMan, riessen, kingjames, Tom, 57Belaire, MatsNilson, JBL_Man_UK,Paragon

JBL_dog , John Nebel, Steve Schell.......in progress

With the growing list we know more about the speakers.....don't hesitate to ask for the list.

HP
    Last edited by Hofmannhp; 02-01-2006 at 01:36 PM. Reason: upgraded numbers and names
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Altec Lansing 838A Carmel
    two numbers listed for each speaker
    581 & 391305
    578 & 391304

414Z driver serial# 391244
    both woofers (in one enclosure) have the same serial number

I have not opened the other enclosure yet - I will edit this post this weekend.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/photopo...cat=519&page=1

So many products produced by Altec have a number beginning with 391. As I understand it they were complying with the E.I.A. coding system for electronic industry manufacturers. The 391 identifies Altec as the manufacturer, and the 244 indicated that the product was made in the 24th week of a year ending in 4, likely 1964 for a 414Z.

The little bit I know about this comes from a useful page on the Weber VST site:

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

Funny about the Carmel numbers though; you wouldn't think that they were made a year apart!

C34 serial numbers

Here are the serial numbers on my C34 cabinet.
    (un-numbered, unlabeled, and maybe home built)
    This is my own system, currently in storage.

C34 style cabinet, well constructed but no JBL label
    D130 serial number 13631
    175DLH serial number 3672
    N1200 serial number 1555
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Glen, the cabinet (or at least the back) is home-brew. Not JBL standard wiring or cutout.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst
    Glen, the cabinet (or at least the back) is home-brew. Not JBL standard wiring or cutout.
    Hi Harvey,

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it might be a JBL cabinet because I've heard that JBL employees were allowed to buy discounted units for their own use that were not always "branded" with the JBL logo. I have seen unlabeled JBL drive units (an LE8T in my L54 ad an LE15 with petrified Lansalloy) and was wondering if that story was true.

I'm not too disappointed that my cab is not JBL because it is very well built and finished, the folded horn mouth is even coated with a sort of black fiberglass like material that I thought might have been beyond a home-builders skills in the 1950s.

There are more pics of the cab and it's construction in the photo gallery:

http://www.audioheritage.org/photopo...500&ppuser=182
    glen

Unless it was a prototype, we (JBL employees) simply went to the stock room and picked up boxed, finished units. If it went out the door without a serial number, it was either on an invoice, or somebody had sticky fingers. Sticky fingers was not a common occurance in the Golden era of JBL; we really were a big family.

I often ate at Bill Thomas' house, sailed with Johnny Edwards over to Catalina, spent time with Ed and Edna May at their house, and shared a duplex with George Augspurger. I lived next door to Margaret Jackson for years before she became Margaret Thomas. We really were a family.

I think this is a great idea. Is it still happening? Am I to just submit the serial numbers from my cabinets and drivers along with my name?

Hi Superbee,

I think it would be great if you post your serial numbers to the thread. Your name will be on the post. I am more interested in systems (groups of components made at the same time) and/or serial numbered items with dated receipts or some other solid way of determining their "birthday". Establishing the relationship of multiple serial numbered components could help create a sort of "Rosetta stone" establishing the timeline of large groups of components from a handful of dates.

Also Hofmannhp has been compiling a really great, more comprehensive, spreadsheet that will likely end up posted on the forum sometime in the future. Please send him a PM to add your info.
    glen

ebay C34

currently up for auction on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-Sign...QQcmdZViewItem

description from auction:
    This is a wonderful speaker with a beautiful cabinet and all components are original and excellent conditon, includes a cabinet; made with plywood and is in excellent condition with small scratches. Dimensions of the cabinet are: H-39 X W-23 X L-22. This includes: oneJBL LE driver with 1217-1290 horn and lens combination ;excellent,o riginal with intact red seals. ONEJBL model 130- A signature 15 in. woofer 16 OHM in all original. Serial #:12961 with a crossover network model # N-1200.Serial #1769.

I think the cabinet may be home-built.
    But looks like a complete/correct 001 system:
    130A serial number 12961
    175 serial number 4076
    1217-1290 horn lens serial number 1925
    N1200 serial number 1769
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    Hi Superbee,

I think it would be great if you post your serial numbers to the thread. Your name will be on the post. I am more interested in systems (groups of components made at the same time) and/or serial numbered items with dated receipts or some other solid way of determining their "birthday". Establishing the relationship of multiple serial numbered components could help create a sort of "Rosetta stone" establishing the timeline of large groups of components from a handful of dates.

Also Hofmannhp has been compiling a really great, more comprehensive, spreadsheet that will likely end up posted on the forum sometime in the future. Please send him a PM to add your info.
    OK...

I just sent Hof the list back, GREAT idea BTW
    Here is what I added:

Paragon #110
    Olympus #46046 #46047
    Dorian #50122 # 50135

I know my Paragon is an early one but I would love to find out how early my Olympus are. Anyone?

ebay C34 delivered from JBL December 5, 1957

currently up for auction on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-C34-Speaker-...QQcmdZViewItem

description from auction:
    JBL C34 Signature Rear Loaded Corner Speaker
    The C34 contains a 6' exponential folded horn that delivers an extra octave of clean,crisp bass.Corner placement is not required.From 150 cps on down,energy from the back of the 15" speaker radiates through the horn.Above 150 cps the speaker acts as a direct radiator.Equipped with D130 15" speaker,075 ring radiator and N2600 crossover network.Measures 40 x 23.75 x 22.5.Serial #26536,10264,2085.Dark mahogany finish.Comes with original owners manual,customer catalog and bill of lading where it was shipped to original owner from JBL 12/5/1957.I have fully tested the cabinet and it work perfectly with no issues.The cosmetic condition is remarkable..wow.I did find three small scratches (see photo detail) but you have to look for them.Auction is for single speaker cabinet.

Factory C34 cabinet with 030 system installed (D34030M):
    D130 serial number 26536
    075serial number 10264
    N2600 serial number 2085
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE

Olympus #46046 #46047

I would love to find out how early my Olympus are. Anyone?
    An ebay seller parting out Olympus with serial numbers 47923 and 47924 claimed that they were from 1966. The LX5 crossovers offered were serial numbers 12798 and 12804

Yours would presumably be a bit older than his.

What are the serial numbers on your crossovers?
    glen

numbers sucking

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    An ebay seller parting out Olympus with serial numbers 47923 and 47924 claimed that they were from 1966. The LX5 crossovers offered were serial numbers 12798 and 12804

Yours would presumably be a bit older than his.

What are the serial numbers on your crossovers?
    Hi,

great kind of list additions with ebay.....thanks
    the list shows now 275 items.

Some numbers and the claimed year of fabrication or purchasing, has to be cleared, cause the I have a lower number for the later year ???

don't stop..

HP

PS: We need more numbers for detailed sight.
    If some members (or non members) want the list, lemme know
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Thread Information