Original blue components on ebay in 3 separate auctions:

LE15A serial number 2898
    LE85 serial number 1394
    LX5 serial number 4247
    un-numbered horn and lens

woofer in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-LE15A-16-Ohm...QQcmdZViewItem

from auction description:
    This item was pulled from a working homemade speaker that used all JBL drivers. Everything is original, never been tampered with.
    This is a 16 ohm version of the JBL LE15A. It is serial number 2898. It's surround is in extrememly good shape considering it's age. The Lansaloy surrounds still seem pliable.

horn, lense and driver in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-LE85-H91-L91...QQcmdZViewItem

This item was pulled from a working homemade speaker that used all JBL drivers. Everything is original, never been tampered with. This is in great condition - the original wax seals are clearly intact.
    This auction is for the LE85 driver and HL91 Horn Lens combo of the H91 Horn and L91 Lens. This is the rare blue 16 ohm version of the JBL LE85. The LE85 serial number is 1394.

crossover in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-LX5-16-ohm-o...QQcmdZViewItem

This item was pulled from a working homemade speaker that used all JBL drivers. Everything is original, never been tampered with. In excellent working condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

001 system on ebay

Listed in 3 separate auctions

130A serial number 23141 and 23142
    175 serial number 6987 and 7918
    N1200 serial number 12214 and 12511
    1217-1290 serial number 4734 and 5762

woofers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-130-A-15-Woo...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a pair of matched (consecutive serial #'s #23141 & 23142) pair of vintage JBL 130A 15" woofer speakers. I purchased them from the original owners and I personally removed them from the cabinets, which were also a matched pair. They sound outstanding and have no damage, stains, rips, tears, etc. They are 16 ohm speakers. I am also selling the horns and crossovers from the same set and will combine shipping. I will sell the cabinets to the winning bidder seperately but shipping would be very expensive. Thanks for looking.

horns and drivers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-175-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a matched pair of mint vintage JBL 175 Drivers with 1217-1290 Horns. I personally removed them from a matched set of JBL cabinets and believe it to be the first time they were ever taken out since factory installed. Black crinkle finish that is 99% +. Red seals intact. Driver serial #'s 7918 and 6987. Horn serial #'s 4734 and 5762. Have the front mounting bracket with baffled face. Sound fantastic! Also selling the woofers and crossover that came with these. You will not find a nicer pair of vintage 16 ohm drivers and horns. I will combine shipping. Thanks for looking!

crossovers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-JBL-N1200-C...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a pair of JBL N1200 Crossovers. They are part of a set that I am selling. They work fine and I took them out of their original cabinet. I believe they have never been removed until I took them out. The back of the enclosures look like the day they were made. All the wires and hookups are undamaged and complete. They have a 3 step gain control min - med - max. Their serial #'s are 12214 and 12511. I will combine shipping. Thanks for looking!
    glen

L100 components in 3 ebay auctions, maybe mis-matched

L100s parted out in 3 ebay auctions (no tweeters)

From what I can tell this is a mis-matched set:
    123A-1s with serial numbers in the 40xxx -50xxx range I have seen before were associated with LE5-12s bearing serial numbers in the 30xxx - 40xxx range (about 10-12 thousand lower than the 123A-1 serial numbers)
    And L100 cabinet serial numbers are usually lower than the serial number of the 123A-1 woofer it contains.

L100 cabinet serial number 75041(A) and 75043(A)
    123A-1 serial number 38391 and 38419
    LE5-2 serial number 297961 and 297966
    LE25 not listed/damaged

cabinets in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-JBL-L10...QQcmdZViewItem

This is an absolutely beautiful pair of JBL L100 cabinets with crossovers and all wiring ready to go. These would have been listed as complete speaker systems with all their drivers and grilles intact, but the tweeters were damaged. Therefore, I am listing the parts separately...see my other auctions for the other respective components, which all have matching serial numbers as well. These cabinets have CONSECUTIVE ODD serial numbers of 75041 and 75043.

woofers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Matched-123...QQcmdZViewItem

This pair of woofers originally came in the JBL L100 cabinets ending about an hour prior. This is a matching pair, serial numbers 38391 and 38419. They are in excellent condition cosmetically and perfect condition sonically. They sound terrific, no voice coil rubs, and no problems with the cones, surrounds, or dustcaps....all in great condition. There are a couple of minor dirt marks on the aquaplas cone surface, but very minor.
    THESE MATCH THE CABINETS AND MIDS THAT ARE ALSO LISTED.

midranges in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Matched-LE5...QQcmdZViewItem

This pair of midrange drivers originally came in the JBL L100 cabinets ending about an hour prior. This is a matching pair, serial numbers 297961 and 297966. They are also in excellent condition cosmetically and perfect condition sonically. They sound terrific, with good cones, surrounds, and dustcaps....all in great condition. There is a VERY SLIGHT crease mark on one cone, difficult to see but wanted to mention it...has absolutely no impact on performance or sound. This is not a hole or tear, just a spot where the cone was pushed slightly.
    THESE MATCH THE CABINETS AND WOOFERS THAT ARE ALSO LISTED.
    glen

C50 with S8R systems on ebay

Description includes all serial numbers and cites this website as authority and registration with HP Hoffman.
    Gentlemen, we have arrived!

C50 cabinet serial number 47250 containing:
    LE15(A) serial number 8392
    375 serial number 6099
    LX5 serial number 10889
    075 serial number 49012
    N7000 serial number 6226
    PR15 serial number 11476
    H93 serial number 10651
    L91 serial number 12672

C50 cabinet serial number 47249 containing:
    LE15(A) serial number 8391
    375 serial number 6101
    LX5 serial number 10877
    075 serial number 48965
    N7000 serial number 6235
    PR15 serial number 11424
    H93 serial number 10674
    L91 serial number 12542

in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-Vintage-JB...QQcmdZViewItem

1960's Vintage JBL R50 S7R Olympus System Speakers

You are bidding on a very rare and sought after set of speakers from JBL. These R50 S7R Speakers are in perfect working condition and can be professionally creighted and freighted anywhere in the Continental US/48. These speakers are being sold on behalf of a collector and have been extremely well kept and cared for.
    Our current quote is to 90210, if you're not as far west that charge may be reduced and we will refund the differenc.
    Manufactured in the mid-60s by JBLansing of Los Angeles, California, as a large home version of its famous high-end theatre sound systems. It was one of the first home sound systems ever manufactured. These are the finest speaker system that JBL ever built for home use, and the construction and components are unique in the history of audio systems.
    This Collector's item is registered at the JBLansing audio heritage site http://www.audioheritage.org - The Audio Heritage consensus of experts was that this system was worth several thousand dollars. Collectors regard every component of the speaker units as significant, and worldwide registry is maintained. These units were registered and all the individual components last February with HP Hofmann who maintains the registry.
    glen

JBL-Registry

Hi Glen

a little smile was crossing my face........
    that's what I meant months before......everybody can use the registration for an additional bonus of his speakers......Great

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    Description includes all serial numbers and cites this website as authority and registration with HP Hoffman.
    Gentlemen, we have arrived!

C50 cabinet serial number ..........

This Collector's item is registered at the JBLansing audio heritage site http://www.audioheritage.org - The Audio Heritage consensus of experts was that this system was worth several thousand dollars. Collectors regard every component of the speaker units as significant, and worldwide registry is maintained. These units were registered and all the individual components last February with HP Hofmann who maintains the registry.
    HP

For all members which haven't contributed till now
    PS: to add YOUR speakers or systems, it's not nessesary to show your name or country or other things you don't want to show.
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Pair of 001 systems from harkness cabinets in ebay auctions

In three separate auctions.
    The serial numbers are not particulary close, so these probably started life as separate mono systems that were paired up later.

130A serial number 13952 and 15536
    175 serial number 6888 and 7885
    N1200 serial number 3268 and 5470
    1217-1290 serial number 4661 and 5741

woofers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170025518024

This is a vintage pair of JBL model 130 A low frequency speakers that were made by James B.Lansing sound Inc in the U.S.A. . We removed these speakers from a pair of vintage "Harkness" series enclosures. These speakers are in very good cosmetic and excellent electrical and operating condition. The serial numbers are as follows 13952 and 15536 . Please see our other current listings for the matching crossovers and high frequency drivers / horns.

horns and drivers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-VINTAGE-MODE...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a vintage pair of JBL model 175 high frequency drivers with model 1217-1290 horn and lens assemblies that were made by James B.Lansing sound Inc in the U.S.A. . We removed these horns from a pair of vintage "Harkness" series enclosures. These horns are in excellent cosmetic, electrical and operating condition and do have the red factory screw seals intact on back of the drivers. The serial numbers of the horn assemblies are 4661 and 5741.The serial numbers of the drivers are 6888 and 7885. Please see our other current listings for the matching crossovers and low frequency speakers.

crossovers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-VINTAGE-MODE...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a vintage pair of JBL model N1200 dividing networks that were made by James B.Lansing sound Inc in the U.S.A. . We removed these networks from a pair of vintage "Harkness" series enclosures. These networks are in good cosmetic and very good electrical and operating condition. They have the following serial numbers 5470 and 3268 . Please see our other current listings for the matching low frequency speakers and high frequency drivers / horns.
    glen

C56 Dorians parted out on ebay

C56 Dorian speakers parted out on ebay in three different auctions

LE14A serial number
    LE175 serial number 9329 and 9408
    1217-1290 serial number 22776 and 22754
    cabinets serial number

woofers in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-LE14...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a matched pair of mint vintage JBL LE14A woofers with original LANSALOY surrounds in very good condition. I personally removed them from a pair of JBL C56 DORIANS and believe it to be the first time they were ever taken out since factory installed. These are 8 ohm drivers with actual resistance measuring 6.3 on EACH speaker. Serial numbers are 20764 and 20639. Excellent physical and electronic condition. Removed from perfectly working speakers.

horns and drivers in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-175-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a matched pair of mint vintage JBL 175 Drivers with 1217-1290 Horns. I personally removed them from a pair of JBL C56 DORIANS and believe it to be the first time they were ever taken out since factory installed. Black crinkle finish that is 99% +. Red seals intact. Driver serial #'s 9329 and 9408. Horn serial #'s 22776 and 22754. Have the front mounting bracket with baffled face and original mounting screws.

nameplates from cabinets in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-C-56...QQcmdZViewItem

Pair of JBL model/logo tags for C56 DORIAN speakers.
    The metal film can be removed for use on ANY older or vintage JBL speaker.
    glen

Glen:

Can you put together a summary of part-outs for us, please?

What are the statistics to date, i.e., by model, simply, what's being lost from the Legacy?

At some point, the complete systems should become so rare and valuable that the wanton parting out for profit will cease. :dont-know

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Glen:
    What are the statistics to date, i.e., by model, simply, what's being lost from the Legacy?
    Hi Zilch,
    I'm not sure how to quantify this except listing instances where a seller states that they have removed the components from cabinet "XYZ", and I have not been tracking those. I am usually listing in this thread either "systems" of at least three apparently contemporary serial numbered components, or dated items. Because JBL was selling component systems without cabinets until around 1980 a set of components being offered doesn't necessarily mean that an original JBL product was cannibalizde in getting them.

Even if they fess up to removing components from a cabinet, the seller's identification may be mistaken, many home built cabinets from the 50's and 60's were of very good quality, made from JBL distributed plans and looking practically identical to their factory-made cousins. And other makers like Barzilay, Acousticraft, Heathkit and others used JBL components in their systems.

...what's being lost from the Legacy?
    My vague impression is that the original systems that are being lost in the greatest proportion relative to how many were originally made are the boxy early to mid-fifties systems: D1001, D1002, D1005... up through the C34, C35, C36, C37, C38. These are often not very visually striking designs (hartsfield excepted), and once those big, heavy boxes get a few battle scars on them ebay sellers (and the vast majority of buyers agree) that these boxes aren't worth the shipping costs. JBL was also doing a booming business in raw component sales during this time and it's hard to tell when the components are the result of parting out of an original JBL system. (Except in the relatively uncommon case where the driver bears the generic, square "sans-serial number" foilcals they used on some components that were included in complete system-only cabinets).

In sheer quantity the greatest number of systems being disassembled are the 1970s and later L-whatevers. They stand out because by then JBL was selling huge numbers of complete speaker systems and far fewer raw drivers to consumers. But the number of these systems that JBL sold, the more convenient sizes, and the fact that their "no-excuses" performance is often comparable to more modern speakers insures that there will be lots of them around for some time to come.

The ultra-lounge re-popularization of mid-fifties design ("mid-century", "Eames era" etc.) will probably help save some of JBL's more adventurous designs from the mid-fifties and sixties like the Harlan, Bel-Aire, Nova, Caprice, Carnival up through the Prima. But these were not necessarily big sellers in their day, so there are precious few examples to start with and every loss will be felt. It's probably good that the more conventional designs from the same era were sold in significantly larger quantities because they don't get no respect. Those Lancers just didn't stand out from the crowd, and even the Olympus and Sovereign cabinets look too much like the cheap mediterranian style junk furniture that was so popular in the 60s and 70s, you'ld practically NEED to take them apart to see that they're special. Anyone would know that a Minigon was special the moment they laid eyes on it.

At some point, the complete systems should become so rare and valuable that the wanton parting out for profit will cease. :dont-know
    This is happening to a degree, the retro cool is even starting to reach back to some of the boxier C-series cabinets. Low-boys with the turned aluminum legs, or the compact C-36 with it's angled legs for instance are popping up as complete systems or cabinets.
    And there's more of a variety of empty cabinets up for auction than before. I think that sellers are realizing that while the market for raw drivers is bigger and more competitive than the market for complete systems there still is a small but viable market for the cabinets.
    (Big Tall dinosaur cabinets excepted)

I'm open to suggestions about what to track, but it's a little like trying to measure the fish that got away.
    glen

Hi-Frequency parts from S8 system

In 4 different auctions on ebay. Seller says these were from the same early 70s systems.

375 serial number 16420 and 16426
    H93 serial number 16976 and 17003
    L91 serial number 37298 and 37318
    075 serial number 91666 and 91701
    N7000 serial number 17043 and 17044

375 drivers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-375-Pair-Min...QQcmdZViewItem

You are bidding on a mint condition pair of JB Lansing model 375 compression horn drivers from the early 1970's with close serial numbers: 16420 and 16426. Impedance 16 ohms. Paint and labels are perfect; they play perfectly and sound fantastic. They have been swept with sine wave at substantial level from 200 Hz to 10kHz and sound clean as a whistle. They came from a home system and have had very gentle use playing classical music at moderate levels.
    Please see my other auction for a companion set of H93 horns and L91 lenses.

horns and lenses in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-H93-L91-Horn...QQcmdZViewItem

You are bidding on a mint condition pair of JB Lansing model H93/L91 horn/lens sets from the early 1970's. Horn serial numbers are 16976 and 17003; lens serial numbers are 37298 and 37318. These are to be used with the 375 drivers (see my other auction for a mint pair).

075s in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-075-Matched-...QQcmdZViewItem

You are bidding on a matched pair of JBL 075 ring radiator tweeters with Alnico magnets, all original and in virtual mint condition, from the same production run, with fairly close serial numbers: 91666 and 91701; made in the early 1970's. They are clean throughout and work perfectly. They have been swept with sine wave from 2kHz to 20kHz and do not buzz or rub. They have had only light use, mostly from classical music. The red seals are all intact. Imdedance 8 ohms. They come with the much desired clamp-ring mounting bracket. If you are bidding on them then you know what they are, so no further verbiage necessary. Will ship international.

N7000 crossovers in auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190025792739

You are bidding on a matched pair of JBL N7000 crossover networks in mint condition with consecutive serial numbers : 17043 and 17044. Made in the early 1970's; 8 ohms. to be used with 077 or 075 drivers. 7kHz crossover point. See my other auction for a mint pair of 075's.
    glen

002 system in C36 enclosure on ebay

In four separate auctions on ebay

D123 serial number 28279
    075 serial number 21085
    N2500 serial number 559
    C36 cabinet not numbered

D123 in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JBL-D123...QQcmdZViewItem

This auction is for a gently used Vintage JBL D123 woofer. The serial number is 28279. It appears that this is the first time it has been out of its' original cabinet. It is well preserved along with the 075 tweeter, N2500 crossover and C36 enclosure which are listed in my other auctions. All the components "worked as new" when tested just before removal. This auction is only for the one D123 pictured

075 in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JBL-075-...QQcmdZViewItem

This auction is for a gently used Vintage JBL 075 tweeter w/mounting clamp. The serial number is 21085. Note the red wax seal; completely original. It appears that this is the first time it has been out of its' original cabinet. It is well preserved along with the D123 woofer, N2500 crossover and C36 enclosure which are listed in my other auctions. All the components "worked as new" when tested just before removal. This auction is only for the one 075 pictured

N2500 in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JBL-N250...QQcmdZViewItem

This auction is for a gently used Vintage JBL N2500 crossover. The serial number is an early one; 559. The D123 woofer, 075 tweeter and C36 enclosure are listed in my other auctions. All the components "worked as new" when tested just before removal. This auction is only for the one N2500 pictured.

cabinet in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JBL-C36-...QQcmdZViewItem

This auction is for a gently used Vintage JBL C36 enclosure. It is in uncommonly good condition except for the deteriorated grill cloth. It will accept a 15" or 12" speaker and an 075 or 175 DLH with the included the adaptors. This is a great opportunity if you have one that needs "attention". The wood & finish are really good with very minor "charactor" marks. Judge for yourself from the pictures. The legs will be removed & secured in the cabinet for shipping. The The D123 woofer, 075 tweeter and N2500 crossover are listed in my other auctions. All the components "worked as new" when tested just before removal. This auction is only for the one empty cabinet pictured. Yes, the back is included, I just forgot to take a picture of it.
    glen

L88P with M12 expander kit and dated receipts

Seller has picture of receipt for L88Ps dated 10-4-74
    and picture of receipt for M12 midrange expander kit dated 1-25--75

L88P serial number 24924A and 29918A
    123A-1* serial number 150092 and 179895
    LE5-2** serial number 174738 and 174831

*in auction listing that ended last August 20, 2006 the seller also listed serial numbers or the 123A-1 woofers
    **and the LE5-2s that were part of the M12 expander kit

current auction listing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L88P-PLUS-12...QQcmdZViewItem

current auction description:
    This may be the only set you may see anywhere with the factory authorized and installed upgrade set of M12 kits WITH all receipts and booklets that came with them from the original owner.
    I came across these outside of Philly and fell in love. These are acoustically the exact same as the L100 Century speakers. But I have too many so these are on the chopping block or I am so.......
    VERY LOW SERIAL NUMBERS 29918 A AND 24924 A,
    I CAN PROVIDE THE SERIAL NUMBERS, IF NEEDED, OF ALL DRIVERS
    They do have a few bumps on the speaker enclosures but NOTHING major, all corners are sharp and NOT dented. I have disassembled and completely tested everything and it works as new. The tweeters are slightly dented on the center dust covers but work perfect. The grills are new foam like the original and the frames are the original and are in real nice shape for their age.
    These were purchased in 1974 and upgraded in 1975. I have included a picture to show this.

August listing including driver serial numbers:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260020472354

August listing description:
    Awesome find indeed. I am the second owner (as of today) of this is a set of JBL L88P / M12 PLUS speakers. These have the same drivers as the Famed JBL 4311 speakers and others.
    These are acoustically identical of the L100 Century, but more rare, as seen in the pictures.
    Serial numbers 24924A and 29918A
    They have JBL Signature 12" white woofers, LE5-2 midrange and LE25 tweeters in each cabinet. Along with a Presence and Brilliance adjustments to fine tune to your listening pleasure.
    The original JBL L-88s were a 2-way configuration and did not contain the LE-5 midrange. The L88-P or L-88 'Plus' was manufactured during the era of the L-100 and was designed to be upgraded to an L-100 with the addition of the M-12 expander kit, which consisted of the LE-5 midrange and an additional crossover component. (88 + 12 = 100) So while this is an L-88P, it is actually the exact acoustic equivalent of an L-100 and says so right on the label.
    I have taken these totally apart, removed all of the speakers and crossovers and checked and recorded the model numbers and the resistance of each speaker.
    SPEAKER SER # 24924A:
    Woofer 123A-1 SN # 150092 OHM 5.1
    Midrange LE5-2 SN # 174738 OHM 5.2
    TWEETER LE25 OHM 4.5
    SPEAKER SER #29918A
    WOOFER 123A-1 SN # 179895 OHM 4.9
    MIDRANGE LE5-1 SN # 174831 5.9
    TWEETER LE25 OHM 4.1
    I have pictures to document these readings upon request only from serious bidders.
    There are some imperfections on the cabinets themselves. The original owner has scratched lightly, his identification number on the back of each speaker, but easily fixed. The emblem on the front of one speaker is a little lifted. And the tweeters need refoamed and the dust cones are slightly dented. The woofers and midranges are flawless. The grill frames are good, but the foam was replaced with a weaved cloth that need replaced again. The cabinets are in pretty good shape considering the age. No major gouges or water markings.
    I have set a reserve and if not met I will part them out.
    All original paperwork, receipts, and owners manuals will be included.
    glen

un-scientific summary of parted out vs. in original cabinet systems

Glen:
    O.K. Zilch, here's a very un-scientific breakdown based on groups of serial numbered components that I've noted from ebay auctions and some generous members of this forum.

Still in their original enclosures:
    1950s 37
    1960s 43
    1970s 50 _
    Total 132

Being parted out:
    1950s 29
    1960s 28
    1970s 47 _
    Total 104

From custom or non-JBL enclosures
    1950s 8
    1960s 8
    1970s 1 _
    Total 17

Of course this talley does not account for components being sold singly, or systems where sellers/owners did not identify serial numbers.
    glen

There it is, then.

Nearly half of JBL Legacy systems over 25 years old are being parted out when sold via these means.

I'd say it is cause for concern, assuming a prime objective here is preserving the Heritage.

It was happening before the internet, of course. I have old cabinets from our local used stereo recycler, pre-internet. But now, it seems like an expanding business model.

The discussion belongs in another thread, but from what I was seeing here, it seemed a reasonable inquiry. Thanks for running the numbers, Glen....

Thread Information