Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial Number registry?

dating the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by englissa View Post
    Hofmannhp Could you maybe date this paragon to when it was built ? thank you fou letting me regester it here and glad the serial no. helped you out . englissa
    of course englissa,

the Paragon with number 41000 is made in the beginning of 1965.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

D38 with 002 system

D38 with 002 system listed in ebay auction

D123 serial number 505 (cut corners date code, May 1955)
    075 serial number 1498
    N2500 serial number 1423

This is one of the earliest 075s I've seen still in a system.
    Even so the 075/N2500 may be a slightly later addition since the earliest listing of the 075 I know of is a September 1956 price list

listed in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-Jame...QQcmdZViewItem

from auction description:
    Up for auction is an awesome all original Vintage James B Lansing Speaker Cabinet. This speaker excellent physical and working condition. The cabinet looks very nice, although there is a little stain on the top right corner. Front grill is in excellent condition with no rips or tears. The JBL signature speakers are in perfect condtion and are as followed: JBL# N2500 - Crossover, JBL#075 - Driver/Horn, JBL#D123 - 12" Woofer, all of which are16 Ohms. Dimensions: 24" wide, 16" deep, and 25" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

old ones

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    This is one of the earliest 075s I've seen still in a system.
    Even so the 075/N2500 may be a slightly later addition since the earliest listing of the 075 I know of is a September 1956 price list......
    Hi Glen,

indeed interesting items.

the oldest D123 now in the registry.
    the oldest 075 we have saved is the number 600
    the oldest N2500 has number 559.

they all seem to be from 1955 (when I was 2 years old)

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

00Robin
    That is EXACTLY what my Altecs are in,cabinet wise,but no legs and no sign of ever having the legs. It was just such a surprise to see them.
    My insides do not look anything like those though, and mine are 1958. Where's the OTHER one???

250ti teak

Serial no.
    right: 02243
    left: 02000

registry

Quote Originally Posted by larsne View Post
    250ti teak......
    thanks larsne,

"registered"

HP

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp View Post
    Thanks englissa,

you helped us a lot, cause this Paragon filled a "white" area and now we know more about the numbering jump from the 12xxx system to the 41xxx system.

HP
    I think Englissa was mostly looking to help himself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Paragon_W0QQ...QQcmdZViewItem

Plenty of mention of the registry and LH, but no mention of a contribution upon sale. How about it englissa, don't you think the research available to you here to pimp the Paragon is worth a small donation upon sale?

a good week

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    .....Plenty of mention of the registry and LH, but no mention of a contribution upon sale. How about it englissa, don't you think the research available to you here to pimp the Paragon is worth a small donation upon sale?
    I have no problem with this brutal,

main thing is to fill the registry with good information.

btw. this week was a good week for harvesting serial numbers.
    A dear member sent me over 150 driver numbers and told me that there will be 400 more to comein the next days.

HP

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Paragon_W0QQ...QQcmdZViewItem

Plenty of mention of the registry and LH, but no mention of a contribution upon sale. How about it englissa, don't you think the research available to you here to pimp the Paragon is worth a small donation upon sale?
    Hi Brutal,

To me the information that you, and many folks like you, have generously supplied to support this endeavor is more valuable than any fees that we might have been able to collect.

The sharing of information helps us all and I would be strongly against anything that raises a barrier against that free exchange of information including imposition of fees for entry into the register or mentioning the website in an ad.

I don't know whether Englissa has many other Lansing speakers, or if this was just a lucky find and we won't be hearing from him again. Not everyone is going to have the same warm spot in their heart for Lansing products that the members here have. (a lot of members have different warm spots anyway). I am actually quite pleased when ebay sellers with no higher motive than getting a better price supply serial numbers and photographs. They are furnishing documentation that we might not get any other way and I am not concerned about their motivations except as it effects the honesty of their information.

Englissa went to some lengths to supply us with numbers for the registry that he did not even see fit to include in the ebay ad, so I would tend to feel that he gave as good as he got. If he shares the interests of our community then squeezing him for a fee makes for a chilly welcome. If this is a one-shot-deal then I would be for letting him mention the LH website and Regiistry in his ad, (he wasn't reproducing any of the copyrighted material on this site) in the hope that whoever purchases the speaker will be more likely to join us in sharing our enthusiams.

Mainly Englissa recognized that this great speaker fits into and is enhanced by the historical context of Jim Lansing and his legacy of audio innovations which is what this site is all about. And spreading that idea will elevate the Registry, the LH website, and the community of people that participate here.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Wacky Numbers and Cabinets!

btw. this week was a good week for harvesting serial numbers.
    HP
    Well, I was into my 4341s over the weekend, but just the upper area, I didn't pull the woofers, (currently a pair of 2234s) so I'll have to give you those numbers another time. They were previously owned by a studio and I know they swapped in replacement drivers when they had problems, so I cannot vouch for originality of anything.
    When we bought them they had a pair of 2123s as the 10" midBass drivers, but I replaced those with a pair of 2123 cores that had been reconed into 2122s.

Studio Monitor 4341 s/n 10009
    2420 (16 ohm) s/n 8342
    2405 (16 ohm) s/n 15299
    2123 (8 ohm) s/n 08386 (reconed to 2122 specs)
    2234 (not sure)

Studio Monitor 4341 (no foilcal, s/n unknown)
    2420 (16 ohm) s/n 8346
    2405 (8 ohm) s/n 10700
    2123 (8 ohm) s/n 08375 (reconed to 2122 specs)
    2234 (not sure)

Next time I go into the lower cavity I'll get you the woofer serial #s, even tho I know they aren't the original ones that came in these cabinet.

Thanks for all the good work you do!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

originality

thanks Heather,

let's see what we can find out

HP

Understood.

Seems the attitude here and in Product Marketplace are vastly different, where trolls are routinely trounced.

Cheers,

ok

Understood.
    Seems the attitude here and in Product Marketplace are vastly different, where trolls are routinely trounced.
    Cheers,

Hi brutal,

lol.....it only means that we are satisfied when a member gives us the numbers before he sells his stuff. Hope you aren't upset with this and thanks for YOUR contribution here.

HP

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Studio Monitor 4341 s/n 10009
    2420 (16 ohm) s/n 8342
    2405 (16 ohm) s/n 15299
    2123 (8 ohm) s/n 08386 (reconed to 2122 specs)
    2234 (not sure)

Studio Monitor 4341 (no foilcal, s/n unknown)
    2420 (16 ohm) s/n 8346
    2405 (8 ohm) s/n 10700
    2123 (8 ohm) s/n 08375 (reconed to 2122 specs)
    2234 (not sure)

Next time I go into the lower cavity I'll get you the woofer serial #s, even tho I know they aren't the original ones that came in these cabinet.
    Hi Heather,

thanks for the data. The registry shows nothing special, or that these are no original drivers, besides the 2123H and the 2234. The numbers are from the time of the cabs.

I guess you will see when you crawl into the lower part (nice to imagine) , that there are 2230A or 2231A drivers.

The 2230A drivers were used in the first (like your's), later the 2231A was built in.
    The 2234H was only used in the 4435.....it's the 2235H without massring under the dome.

Let's wait to see what's built in.

HP

Hi Heather,

thanks for the data. The registry shows nothing special, or that these are no original drivers, besides the 2123H and the 2234. The numbers are from the time of the cabs.

I guess you will see when you crawl into the lower part (nice to imagine) , that there are 2230A or 2231A drivers.

The 2230A drivers were used in the first (like your's), later the 2231A was built in. The 2234H was only used in the 4435.....it's the 2235H without massring under the dome.

Let's wait to see what's built in.

HP
    No, I was in the lower cabinet in may just after we bought them when I worked on the crossovers and put the new banana jacks on the back for biAmping - I just forgot to get you the serial numbers for the woofers that day, and I haven't pulled the 15s since. But I know they actually ARE 2234s, thats how I knew they weren't original.

A copy of the original ebay ad is here:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...49&postcount=6
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information