Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial Number registry?

Update on my L112

Sorry for breaking this into so many posts.

My L112 are serial's:

# 72885 Left
    date code 4082 (from box)
    original LE5-12 4082 (must be a batch code?) since replaced due to mitfingerpoken (a.k.a. dikbeaterenmitschticken)

# 77121 Right
    date code 0683 (from box)
    original LE5-12 5082 since replaced also due to mitfingerpokin

The 128H were re-coned a few years back and may or may not both be the original baskets. I sent in 3 and cut a deal to get 2 back re-coned. I'll get them next time I have cause to go in the cabs - when I replace one of the aftermarket LPAD I installed with an OE.

FWIW, I just picked up a pair of L112 cabs with rotted foam 128H's (no other drivers) and one of them is a really old serial

# 85280 (right)
    90579 128H (on foilcal)

# 66275 (left) and has a protruding back I've never seen, the veneer woodgrain is tighter, and one of the choke (LF?) on the x-over is different than the rest.
    8346 128H (stencil painted on, no foilcal) and no rubber around the magnet. 59512 (part#?) and 82 (build date?) cast into the magnet structure.

Alas, the 66275 cab is too damaged (partially separated baffle, cracked, split side) and needs to be extensively rebuilt or scrapped.

The # 66275 x-over

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannhp View Post
    Hi brutal,
    Thanks for the numbers.....can we also get the numbers of your L112?

HP

L300 Serial No. 22578

Here's what I've got on these speakers. I sold them to member SUPERBEE a year ago so maybe he can fill in the missing numbers and since these were a "matched" pair (sequencal serial numbers - 22579) you'd "assume" the component serial numbers should be close as well. BTW: I used a "JBL Blue" paint stick to enhahance the serial numbers, so if you get a driver with this kind of treatment send me a PM.

LE85 Serial Number 55365

077 erial Number 83427
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mbd7; 07-22-2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: extra info

L55 pair just snatched up in Denver

# 18295
    LE14A # 72032

# 16882
    LE14A # 71632

$40, wohoo! Asked $25, I couldn't make change so gave him $40 and got first right of refusal on some still boxed stuff; turntable, LP's.

Olympus C50 Cabinet Registration

Greetings! I would like to register the following cabinets as well as get a little feedback on when/where they were constructed/sold, etc...

The fellow I purchased them from has had them for several years, BUT had purchased them from the original owner, an 83 year old gentleman who had ordered these speakers new! I'd love to know that year. Thanks!

C50 Cabinets
    (paper tag indicates "C50-2 WX")

Greatly appreciated!
    DAVID
    DETROIT ROCK CITY

C50

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo72 View Post
    ....... I'd love to know that year. Thanks!....
    Hi David,

you'd done it in the right way.....thanks for this.

your speakers seem to be from late 1964 to 1965. i am sure that we can tell you more if we know the driver numbers.
    The registry shows some white "year" spots in this area.

pls send me your em adress to my PM, so I can send you the sheets for this.

HP

PS: can you try to find out from this gentlemen when he bought them?
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

According to the registry, how many 250TI's were produced?

-Storm.

how many 250Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    According to the registry, how many 250TI's were produced?

-Storm.
    Hi Storm,

not easy to say.... there are only 14 pcs in the registry.

first number: 00534 from CA --->1985
    last number: 10819 from FL --->1990 (its a LE version)

between there are also numbers like J015-00128 ????

seems that there are about 12,000 pcs

HP

we need more numbers to be more precise....whats about yours
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

JBL 250TI Speakers.

SERIAL NUMBERS:

Left: J015-00128

Right: J014-01066

What year are these from?

Thank you.

-Storm.

Hi Storm,

youv'e got a PM
    HP

S99 pair with component serial numbers

S99 pair with component serial numbers listed in ebay auction.
    Sller lists component serial numbers written on information envelope on back of cabinets (but lists same middle, tweeter, number twice?):

S99 serial number 90807 and 90808
    LE14A serial number 4007 and 4008
    LE20-1 serial number 17550 and 17550
    LX4-1 serial number 2153 and 2175

listed in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

from auction description:
    HERE IS A PAIR OF JBL SPEAKERS S99 LANCER 99 SERIAL # 90807 MODEL LX4-1, JBL SPEAKERS GOOD SHAPE OTHER ONE MARKED LE2-99 SERIL # 90808, BOTH IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION, BOTH STAND ALMOST 24 INCHES TALL, MINOR SCUFF MARKS ON WOOD HERE AND THERE SHOULD CLEAN OFF OR BUFF OUT EASY, NO DEEP MARKS, NO CRACKS,BOTTOM PART OF WOOD THAT SITS ON FLOOR SHOWS SOME WEAR. CAME FROM A SMOKE FREE HOUSE 1 OWNER HAD THESE JBL SPEAKERS BOUGHT THEM NEW WAY BACK WHEN -- VERY HEAVY.ANY QUESTIONS DROP ME A E-MAIL. FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS ON THE BACK OF THE SPEAKERS ON PAPER, MODEL NUMBER 599 WX, SERIAL NUMBER 4007-17550-2153 OTHER SPEAKER IS MARKED ON PAPER IS 599 WX, SERIAL NUMBER 4008-17550-2175, JAMES B. LANSING SOUNDS INC. LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

4312 pair in date coded boxes

4312 pair in date coded boxes listed in ebay auction

4312 serial number 74997 in box with date code 011685 (Jan 16, 1985 ?)
    4312 serial number 78090 in box with date code 031285 (Mar 12, 1985 ?)

listed in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Model-4312-C...QQcmdZViewItem

from auction description:
    You are bidding on a "Used" pair of the Legendary JBL model 4312 Control Monitors.These speakers were the industry standard for years,and are still widely used in the music industry.Many of your favorite albums,Cd's,and tapes were mixed using these great sounding speakers.The 4312's were sold in mirror-imaged pairs,to achieve perfect stereo sound.
    These are in great condition,with a few blemishs.There are a few very minor scratches on the bottom of the speakers,due to me rearangeing them over the years.2 years after i bought them,1 connection board came lose, I had a local repair shop fix it,but his young son accidently touched the board while drying,and it dryed crooked.He felt bad and offered to have it repaired by a authorized JBL repair shop,but being young and wanting my stereo back,I took them as they were.He guaranteed their performance,and for the last 20 years never failed me.They still sound like new.
    There is a reserve on these,but its not as high as you might think.I accept Paypal,and Postal Money Orders.Shipping is $95.00 shipped UPS Ground to anywhere in the "lower 48 States" If you would like them shipped faster,e-mail me for a quote. Payment must be received with in 7 days of the end of the auction.
    They come with the original owners manuel,and box's.They will be double boxed for their protection.These are sold "As Is" and can only be returned due to damage during shipping.
    Good luck and Happy bidding.
    glen

I wouldn't assume the date code is MMDDYY. My L112 left #72885 is coded 4082

The right # 77121 is coded 0683. I'd guess it's day-of-year/YY

modern date codes

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    I wouldn't assume the date code is MMDDYY.
    Thanks for the info Brutal,
    I haven't thought much about the modern date codes, and though the six digit date code looks like a pretty straightford month/day/year MMDDYY I did put a questionmark after my guess as a reminder that it was just a guess.

The 4 digit date code does not seem as immediately familiar, but based on the one from your earlier L112 (serial number 72885 is coded 4082) my first guess would be that the 4 digit code is week/year WWYY because the 82 still makes sense as the year, and the 40 probably represents one number (40) not two (4 and 0) since a single "0" doesn't seem likely to represent a date, and the "40" would fall within the range for weeks of the year (1-52) not months or days.

I would hope that there might be someone out there with more knowledge of these later date codes who may be able to clarify them.
    Lacking an expert the best clue would be to find the transition point from the 4 digit date code to the 6 digit date code and see if our hypothetical interpretation leads to a logical progression.
    Ferinstance, if 0484 was the very last 4 digit code and the "04" does represent weeks (4th week of January 1984),
    then the first 6-digit code should not be earlier than 012884 (January 28th, 1984).

So my best guess on your L112s is:

L112 serial number 72885 date code 4082 was made in the 40th week of the year,
    first week of October 1982 (actually September 30th – October 6th)

L112 serial number 77121 date code 0683 was made in the 6th week of the year,
    second week of February 1983 (actually February 5th – February 11th)
    glen

150-4C

my newest find. First for my Hartsfield project. Woofer 150-C4 , Serial Number 504936 .
    Does someone have still recone kits for this Woofer?

regards
    juergen

later stereo pair 050 systems in C37 cabinets

later 050 systems in C37 cabinets listed in ebay auction, actually these are factory loaded D37050WX cabinets. Though one was mistakenly designated D37030WX#7 and the other simply D37WX#7, with no reference to the speaker system. Maybe the "#7" is a designation for special baffle these would have required for the 050 system?

Where the reflex ports were cut in the back were left unpainted, probably because this was an unusual speaker system to install in the C37 cabinet by the time these were produced. I'm guessing these are early sixties because they are a stereo pair with the aluminum legs. Sometime between 1959 and 1962 catalogs stopped listing the 050 system as an option for the C37 (the 050 system continued to be available for other enclosures)

These are the latest 130B serial numbers I have seen.

130B serial number 10911, 11075, 11177 and 11274
    175 serial number 10786 and 10894
    N1200 serial number 8645 and 8792
    1217-1290 serial number 8708 and 8817

listed in ebay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JBL-SPEA...QQcmdZViewItem

from auction description:Here is a nice pair of old JBL speakers. Each speaker has a 175 driver for the horn, and two 130b (32 ohm version of the 130A) as woofers. The 130Bs all have "130-202" stamped on the the back side of the paper. There is also handwritten penciled numbers on the back side of the paper as well - "14" on three speakers and "13" on one. The serial #'s read: 10911, 11274, 11075, 11177. All the woofers look to be in excellent condition. The 175 drivers have serial #'s that read: 10786, 10894. They both have the "L" stamped in the red wax that indicates the diaphragms are factory ones. Each 175 driver is attached to a horn, model #: 1217-1290. These serial #s are: 8817, 8708. The crossovers are the model N1200 with serial #s: 8645, 8792. Three JBL pamphlets comes with each cabinet: Maintaining Wood Finishes, JBL Reflex Enclosures, Installation, wiring, operation. note all pamphlets nice condition - except the one unfolded in photo has some tears. I found these pieces of literiture in the pouches attached to the backside of the cabinets.
    The cabinets look to be in nice condition however there are a few areas to note: The grill cloths have stains. The grills themselves are easy to remove should one wish to deal with these stains - unscrew a couple screws on the bottom of the cabinet and the grills slide out clear of the speaker mounted baffles. Other areas to note are stains on the top side of the cabinets like the potted plant marking on top of the right cabinet. Also a small ding on the edge where the veneer chipped can be noted in the photo that shows the JBL literature that comes with this deal. Other than that ding and a rough top rear corner, all the edges on these cabinets look to be in excellent condition. Finally the right cabinet's rear left leg has had repair work that involved strengthening the surrounding particle board area (see photo). This leg is now strongly attached but as a result, unlike all the other legs, it is no longer removable. Should these cabinets need to be shipped, the bond that glues this leg in place will need to be broken in order to remove the leg. Note that I can't be held responsible for how much particle board will break in performing this task should you ask me to packaged these speakers.
    Another area of interest is the opening on the back of these cabinets. I wonder whether they were cut in the factory for the cut surface is not painted black like the crossovers cut surface is. Interesting how they seem to be the same size as well as have equal distance. Are these needed ports for the woofers? If someone knows, please let me know and I'll pass on the knowledge. I tend to think that because of all the literature stapled on the backs of these cabinets, these are factory made and not from a kit. Note the penciled writing on the attached pouch of the left cabinet under "model number" that reads: D37030WX#7 and then the components are listed with serial #'s - interesting how the 130B's are wrongly penciled here as "130A"s yet the serial numbers are correct. The other cabinet however doesn't repeat this error, listing the woofers correctly as "130B"s along with the correct serial numbers. However this cabinet has penciled in under "model number": D37 WX#7. -An abbreviation? Too many numerals to write? - I don't know. If any one knows the answer as to what these cabinets are called, please tell me.
    Speakers are being sold "as is" so I suggest making it over to my living room to thoroughly check them out, for the deal is finalized once they leave my house. Buyer to arrange their own shipping but I am willing to, at $150 more, package both these cabinets in 1 1/2" styrofoam - that is sold at Home Depot - and then cover everything with Home Depot cardboard and lots of shipping tape of which all takes a lot of time. I then will deliver, if needed, to a shipper in Portland, OR, that you have arranged for me to meet. You will need to fill out all forms of any kind. Again, this is the option if you, or a friend, can't pick these up in person. The cabinets each measure: 16x24x36", but once packaged the way I mentioned will measure close to 20x28x40". When I can borrow someone's bathroom scale, I'll try to weigh these cabinets and post the approximate weight. Please note what I said above about that one "repaired" leg needing to be removed if shipped.
    glen

Thread Information