Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: jbl 2245 H

Is it true that JBL doesn't have any recones left for the 2245h?

I just ordred a recone for my 2245h and the Norwegian distributor said that this was the very last they had and that they couldn't get any more from JBL...

The result is impressive and the Fs is very close to the original.
    That's what he got. There is not guarantee that's what I would get when all is said and done. The real issue is unless you have the means to re-measure the T/S parameters you won't know how close you are to the original. Yeah it will work but I wouldn't do it as long as there are foam surrounds are around.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    That's what he got. There is not guarantee that's what I would get when all is said and done. The real issue is unless you have the means to re-measure the T/S parameters you won't know how close you are to the original.
    That is also the case with foam kits (after all non of them are OEM).
    For example some appear to be thicker than the orginal (see Guido experience with foam 10" kits).

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali View Post
    This is a very old thread, I would start a new one.

Read this:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d-Step-by-step

There are a bunch of step by step instructions.

And welcome aboard, this is a great Forum and a lot of very knowledgable people.
    Thanks for that link, very good info. Any idea where I can get just the 30 Hz CD? I've already got the surround kit. Since it came with 2 surrounds, I think I'll try it first without cutting out the dust cap. If that doesn't work, I can try again with shims.

What's the life expectancy on these new surrounds? I understand they use a different grade of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by cohearent View Post
    Hi Bo and crew,

I have probably had 20) 2245s over the years. It is still my favorite subwoofer, and in my opinion the best ever made. Can't tell from your pic, but there is a third variation. There were two versions of the early one (with the extra rings going close to the dust cap). One had white aquaplas on the back of the cone the later versions must use a mass ring or thicker cone. When I had my original 1985 vintage 2245Hs reconed in the '90s I thought at first they had used the wrong cones because there was no aquaplas.

Best,

Kev
    For reference (if it's of help), I posted some information on my 2245H's and the differences between them, along with a couple pictures. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post271110

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    Thanks for that link, very good info. Any idea where I can get just the 30 Hz CD? I've already got the surround kit. Since it came with 2 surrounds, I think I'll try it first without cutting out the dust cap. If that doesn't work, I can try again with shims.

What's the life expectancy on these new surrounds? I understand they use a different grade of plastic.
    Do it without removing the dustcaps; I've done tons this way with no problem. Send me a PM if you need a 30Hz CD. I think I have an extra laying around I can mail you.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    The result is impressive and the Fs is very close to the original.
    This solution certainly does not work for all drivers, but when there is no "flat" part in the surround (for example between the cone and the half roll) there is absolutely no reason why this should not work exactly as expected, especially with large diameter drivers.
    The author of this page is Yuichi Arai, not exactly a jerk.
    Concerning http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/E...L2245-Dia.html
    something about Fs and Vas before and after 're-foaming' is unusual, not consistent .
    Well, may be the "small signal response" is good, but do not forget that 2245 has Xmax (amplitude) of about 9mm (0.35"). I am not sure that such , almost flat 'foam' would allow such large cone movements. May be some kind of SHD and THD measurements would give interesting results.
    As http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4345.pdf is declared, THD has to be less then 1% "under about 100W input power" , concerning the data that would correspond to 114 dB SPL at 1m.

The surrounbd is not flat at all.
    Look at picture #11

2240 recone of a 2245

There is a guy on ebay selling a pair of 2245's for $300 buy it now price. The thing is they have been reconed with 2240 kits. I know the 2240 surround is not foam like the 2245. So what does that do to the speaker? Change the response, excursion limit?

Is this a deal or a red headed stepchild?

The 2240 and 2245 share hardware (same basket).

Reconing a 2245 basket with a 2240 kit makes it a 2240.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2240.pdf
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

So it becomes a PA speaker with higher SPL and lose 1/2 an octave off the bottom end. No thanks. But thanks for the info. I just bought lgvenable's 2245H.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Do it without removing the dustcaps; I've done tons this way with no problem. Send me a PM if you need a 30Hz CD. I think I have an extra laying around I can mail you.
    I got the 30 Hz CD from svolmer (many thanks) and the surround replacement itself went fine. Just one problem. While playing the 30 Hz CD it was immediately obvious that this speaker has other problems. There is a rattling noise (NOT voice coil rubbing) that gets worse with increasing amplitude. I'm guessing something in the voice coil (the former?) is loose or partially separated. My short term fix was to buy lgvenable's 2245H which I hope to have this weekend.

So my original 2245H can now be a guinea pig for further surgery. What are my options? Obviously a full recone would solve the problem but as I understand it, original factory kits are no longer available. Are there good quality aftermarket kits? Are there any alternatives short of a full recone? I've got a replacement center cap so I'm tempted to cut it open and see if I can get a little superglue on the offending part. What are my chances of success? Any other ideas?

Obviously a full recone would solve the problem but as I understand it, original factory kits are no longer available.
    They are still listed as available at Orange County. I'd get in touch with Edgewound and see what he says before I'd jump to any availability conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    They are still listed as available at Orange County. I'd get in touch with Edgewound and see what he says before I'd jump to any availability conclusions.
    I'm pretty sure many companies will still have them in stock for a while, but what I was told is that it's not possible to order new ones from JBL so eventually they will be unavailable.

I got the 30 Hz CD from svolmer (many thanks) and the surround replacement itself went fine. Just one problem. While playing the 30 Hz CD it was immediately obvious that this speaker has other problems. There is a rattling noise (NOT voice coil rubbing) that gets worse with increasing amplitude. ...........

So my original 2245H can now be a guinea pig for further surgery. What are my options? Obviously a full recone would solve the problem?........
    Any other ideas?
    My be you can carefully remove the whole cone (with spider- not to destroy). I am not sure that the surround would survive (but may be can) and after that you can get the final conclusion. May be some piece of plate-hole-foam-cover went into the coil gap. Have a good luck.

Thread Information