Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jbl 2245 H

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

jbl 2245 H

Hello I just bought a jbl 2245 H woofer from vintage tube amp or uncle spot speaker repair. the problem I am having is the woofer look the same as the other one but the color is gray kind of orange -redish .the surround is not foam its the same surround thats on the 4312 woofer. what about the low end responce will this effect any thing

pelly3s
    well if its not foam its not a 2245. can you post a picture of it?

jbl 2245 H

on back of the woofer it does read 2245 H . i have no question about that, just the surround and the funny color of the woofer

pelly3s
    its probably a 2240 kit in a 2245 frame.

pelly3s
    cant say too much about the color though that could be a couple of reasons

jbl 2245 H

I paid 225.00 the frame and the magnet is in great shape . I just like to be sure of the cone. I am going to have the woofer refoam and I will call jbl tech surport and ask them about color of the woofer. I have no grill in front of my speakers and I paid to much damm money . The color of the woofer doesnt bother me I just want them to have the same freq responce and that good stuff

pelly3s
    look on the back of the cone and there should be white writing telling you what cone kit it is

Surround repair

Just found this site, looks like a ton of technical expertise here.

I've got a 2245H in a 12 cubic foot enclosure I built about 25 years ago. The surround rotted away several years ago & I just quit using it. Now I'm setting up a home theater and I want to bring it back to life. I bought a Parts Express kit. So far I've just removed the gasket and cleaned all the old foam off the frame & cone. That in itself took quite awhile. I'm at the point where the instructions say to cut off the dust cap and shim the voice coil to center it during the foam gluing. I'm a bit nervous about slicing into it so I thought I'd see if I can get any advice from some one who has been there before.

I came across the My Audio Addiction kit on ebay that claims you don't have to remove the dust cap and that this is the best way. It does seem to me that the spider on these speakers should keep the voice coil centered. By the way, mine has always been downward firing so I don't think there should be any sag in the spider.

Any advice much appreciated!

This is a very old thread, I would start a new one.

Read this:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d-Step-by-step

There are a bunch of step by step instructions.

And welcome aboard, this is a great Forum and a lot of very knowledgable people.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Beside Rick Cobbs' kits, here is an alternative way to do it:
    http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/E...L2245-Dia.html

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Beside Rick Cobbs' kits, here is an alternative way to do it:
    I think you forgot your smiley!

Take your pick:
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The result is impressive and the Fs is very close to the original.
    This solution certainly does not work for all drivers, but when there is no "flat" part in the surround (for example between the cone and the half roll) there is absolutely no reason why this should not work exactly as expected, especially with large diameter drivers.
    The author of this page is Yuichi Arai, not exactly a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali View Post
    This is a very old thread, I would start a new one.

Read this:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d-Step-by-step

There are a bunch of step by step instructions.

And welcome aboard, this is a great Forum and a lot of very knowledgable people.
    Thanks for that link, very good info. Any idea where I can get just the 30 Hz CD? I've already got the surround kit. Since it came with 2 surrounds, I think I'll try it first without cutting out the dust cap. If that doesn't work, I can try again with shims.

What's the life expectancy on these new surrounds? I understand they use a different grade of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    Thanks for that link, very good info. Any idea where I can get just the 30 Hz CD? I've already got the surround kit. Since it came with 2 surrounds, I think I'll try it first without cutting out the dust cap. If that doesn't work, I can try again with shims.

What's the life expectancy on these new surrounds? I understand they use a different grade of plastic.
    Do it without removing the dustcaps; I've done tons this way with no problem. Send me a PM if you need a 30Hz CD. I think I have an extra laying around I can mail you.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Do it without removing the dustcaps; I've done tons this way with no problem. Send me a PM if you need a 30Hz CD. I think I have an extra laying around I can mail you.
    I got the 30 Hz CD from svolmer (many thanks) and the surround replacement itself went fine. Just one problem. While playing the 30 Hz CD it was immediately obvious that this speaker has other problems. There is a rattling noise (NOT voice coil rubbing) that gets worse with increasing amplitude. I'm guessing something in the voice coil (the former?) is loose or partially separated. My short term fix was to buy lgvenable's 2245H which I hope to have this weekend.

So my original 2245H can now be a guinea pig for further surgery. What are my options? Obviously a full recone would solve the problem but as I understand it, original factory kits are no longer available. Are there good quality aftermarket kits? Are there any alternatives short of a full recone? I've got a replacement center cap so I'm tempted to cut it open and see if I can get a little superglue on the offending part. What are my chances of success? Any other ideas?

Thread Information