Thread: Altec 420 biflex recone options?

Altec 420 biflex recone options?

Hi guys,

I have a pair of altec 420 biflex that are in Santana cabinets. I have a guy that has been asking if I want to sell them. I told him that I would but was unsure of their value but would get back to him. The driver has not impressed me much so I figured that I would let them go.

Now Im reading here that the 420 could be reconed as a 416 or similar so Im having second thought about selling them.

Has any one here done this, also what do think the cost to recone them would be?

By the way, I posted some time ago now regarding "Altec mini Iconic" My plan at that time was to turn those cabinets into subwoofers. I got mucho help from many of you as to how to go about doing it. THank-you!

After going back and forth with different ideas, I decided to hell with it and dropped in a pair of ElectroVoice SP15b's. Im driving them with a Sherwood tube integrated as a second system and they are sounding great. Im now going to incorporate those subwoofer ideas using the Santana cab's.

At the rate Im going I should have my subwoofer project completed in the summer of 2008

RC

According to Bill Hanushak, of Great Plains Audio, he cant get the cone manufacturer to make 420 type cones, that cone is like two cones in one. You would have to contact GPA and talk to Bill about what cones he can put in the 420 basket. Since I dont know what the gap dimensions and coils are for each woofer, the 416 vs 420 I cant say what can be done, but Bill can!

www.greatplainsaudio.com
    scottyj

pelly3s
    scott is right great plains is the place to go for altec info.

good choice on the use of the EV's everyone always overlooks them but they make such a nice speaker

Thanks Scott/Pelly3s, I will check with them tomorrow and see what they would recommend. Just to let you know these are in fine condition and Im not interested in a 420 re-cone. Looking for alternatives to that.

Thanks again
    RC

pelly3s
    I would sell them for more EV stuff lol.

hI THERE,

A total recone is between 150$ and 200$ each and worth it if your speakers are 30 years old.

.................................................. .............................

I would sell them for more EV stuff lol.
    That was my original thinking
    Man, I have never checked into recone prices I not sure it would be worth it for those.
    What im really looking for would be drivers that would be suitable for subwoofer duty. I wonder if the results of using them for that would be a good one.

RC

pelly3s
    for a subwoofer if you want a 15" then either go with a 2235, or a Sub1500 well thats if you wanna stay JBL if you dont care about that then the Dayton Quatro or Titanic MKIII would be my weapon of choice. go to partsexpress.com to check them out.

i'm gonna go now and prepare for my beating that I am going to receive for mentioning those woofers

Altec 420A recone to 416

I have confirmed this with Bill at GP in the past, they will recone with no problems.

I had also asked him about reconing 418 to 416 and that is do-able also!

Ron

Hi Douane,

I would check with GPA if douable as subwoofer.

They still make the 3000 series suitable for subs.

i'm gonna go now and prepare for my beating that I am going to receive for mentioning those woofers

Im sure that everyone will forgive you. Well, almost everyone

I emailed Bill at Great Plains and I will wait to see what he thinks also. The Iconic's had the 416 and they did a pretty nice job in the low end but not "subwoofer" low end. I really want to keep my system as vintage as possible but some of the others (that shall remain nameless) might be more practical.

I will let ya's know what Bill has to say.

RC

Thread Information