Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C'mon, fess up..

C'mon, fess up..

time spent listening to music vs. time spent messing with gear..............what is your ratio?

Not a fair question, for me.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Not a fair question, for me.
    Sure tis! Tis what ittis!

"ja, well, no, fine...", as they say in South Africa...

But I straddle three worlds: day-job, family and family sound, and gigging. The latter gets disproportionate attention, and at times, capital...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Not real fair for me, either, as I get paid to mess with gear 55+ hours a week.

Listening to music = time commuting = ~3 hours a day = ~75 miles! Ecch! Plus 8 hours a day of driving on weekends, lately...

Messing with gear = time working, and time playing = any other time available that I'm not sleeping.

je

OK, let's thin this down.

Maybe if we restrict this to the home system? That is, messing with new xovers, new EQ's, new cabinets, etc, but ONLY for the home system?

For me, 100% listening. Once I got the 4345's "refreshed" (new 2245's, new diaphragms, etc) and properly EQ'd, all I do is listen. The rack is set - it is immutable...

I have noticed of-late that the 2245's continue to settle in - even after about 12-months of casual listening, they seem ever more responsive with the passing of time. An interesting phenomenon I have not before noticed.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

OK, let's thin this down.

Maybe if we restrict this to the home system? That is, messing with new xovers, new EQ's, new cabinets, etc, but ONLY for the home system?

For me, 100% listening. Once I got the 4345's "refreshed" (new 2245's, new diaphragms, etc) and properly EQ'd, all I do is listen. The rack is set - it is immutable...

I have noticed of-late that the 2245's continue to settle in - even after about 12-months of casual listening, they seem ever more responsive with the passing of time. An interesting phenomenon I have not before noticed.
    You not playing it LOUD enough.

Per week:

Time spent messing with gear "on the job" - 2.5 hrs.
    Time spent listening to music "on the job" - 9 hrs.

Time spent listening to music at home - 2 hr.
    Time spent messing with gear at home - 1 hr.
    I love the way music makes me feel.

Mine has changed lately!

Since I have acquired the JBL 4430 studio monitors the only tweaking has been for changing out preamps and amps.

I started out with Sansui AU-7900(upgraded with new outputs/drivers/black gates in signal path/film caps on PS caps.

Then I used the Sansui pre out for use with McCormack DNA-1 and found a potent punch with the sound.

Then I came into a Onkyo Integra A 8087 that plays damn good for a 30 yr old unit.

I have spent many hours with each of these setups and it is amazing the differences between them. Not major changes or deficiencies, but different details are unique to each system.

For simplicity purposes the Onkyo will stay with the 4430's for now in the living room system while I am putting my Edgarhorn up in the basement.

But to answer the question, I used to spend approx 80% listening to the system and tweaking as I go, but now I spend like only 30% tweaking and the rest enjoying the music.

I have found the 4430's are best for pop and rock, they will emulate a live concert very nicely.

Ron

clmrt
    Weekly -

Listening, 8 hrs
    Messing, 15 min

Bo, it's interesting to me that you mentioned this. I converted my 2440's to 2441 about a year or so ago and have noticed the same thing. It's wierd, but they just get better and better.... It's more pronounced than a capacitor breaking in. Interesting - are you using Aluminum 'phragms?

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by chad
    Per week:

Time spent messing with gear "on the job" - 2.5 hrs.
    Time spent listening to music "on the job" - 9 hrs.

Time spent listening to music at home - 2 hr.
    Time spent messing with gear at home - 1 hr.
    (Thanks for the template, chad! )

Per week:

Time spent messing with gear "on the job" - 4 - 5 hrs. (mostly moving the pro stuff from point "a" to point "b")

Time spent listening to music "on the job" - 12 - 16 hrs. (to be honest, I wish this was zero hours. I'm short an employee or two at the time so I have to pick up three or four shows per week).

Time spent listening to music at home - 3 - 4 hr.
    Time spent messing with gear at home - 0 to 1/2 hr.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog
    I'm short an employee or two at the time so I have to pick up three or four shows per week).
    What kind of shows are you getting?

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    What kind of shows are you getting?
    Most involve DJ and Karaoke shows. Between bar accounts and private parties, my company does about 1200 shows per year. Privates pay well, bar shows no so well.

It's 100% messing around here.

Three or four systems always "cooking."

RTA runs continuously....

Thread Information