Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: From Studo -> Home Finish

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Hi all. Finally I got the new frames and got the dark JBL blue fabric on them. Got some questions to you DIY experts.

I noticed that the name plates are originally mounted (I have those, and want to attach them) almost on top of the 2405. Since JBL put them there, is the position ok or what?

Nest question: how do I, what do I use to attach the name plates?

Thank's for advice.

Here are some picks:
    VERY fine looking speakers!

I've been reading back through the various 4343/4345 threads and I saw a post by Tom Loizeaux where he noticed the same thing. He said he heard a noticeable difference when he removed the metalized label-badge from its position on the grille.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&postcount=141

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux View Post
    Ian had asked me if removing the 4343 nameplates made any difference in the UHF sound. It does! I hear more from the 2405 slot and I'm sure the patten is also improved by getting the nameplate out of the way. I'm going to drastically shorten the nameplates and mount them in the center to allow all the UHF to come out uninterupted.
    Though Ian had mentioned placing the 2405s on the outside of the cabinets to me before, it wasn't until today that I went down and switched my 4343s, placing the slots at the outside position of the speakers.
    I had a listen and I was impressed! The improvement was not subtle! Not only did the placement of the instruments become more clearly defined, but I heard top detail that I hadn't noticed quite the same way before...and this is with music I play regularly and am very familiar with. Though it seems counter-intuitive, I feel Ian was right when he explained how those slots need to be on the outside to blend with the other drivers correctly.
    Thanks Ian, again, for your insight.
    I wonder if JBL ever explained that, or any of what we are learning about setting up and tweaking our 434X speakers. ?

Tom
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I guess most really don't care, unless the thread is written by some pros in DIY.

That is ok, I am happy with the result.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    The sheet also include english, and I know that it say: not to use water based glue. They recommend contact glue, but as you know one mistake with that, and "good night".
    Rolf
    I used water based contact cement on my L212s to apply Ash Veneer, with only cutting the veneer an 1/4" larger, in both directions. I then lined up one long side of the veneer to the cabinet and then just laid it down, pushing across the width of the sheet at the middle of the sheet and working toward the edges.
    Another way is to lay down a piece of wax paper on the side of the cabinet and then lay the veneer on top. Then raise up the veneer along one long edge and fold the wax paper(an inch or two) back over its self and press the veneer down along that edge.
    Then you just have to lift up the opposite edge of the veneer and remove the entire piece of wax paper and flatten out the veneer, working from the middle out.

Thread Information