Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolly Gets a Face Lift! 4430s

Dolly's Get a Face Lift! 4430s

Day one of some real Dogs from the JBL Dog House! Has left over Formica on top of 3M Glue on top of black paint. JBL Dog has the driver renewal project, and I'm stuck with the fumes!

Day 1 Starts!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Audiobeer; 09-29-2003 at 07:36 PM.

Stripper

This step is using many coats of a stripper. I let it do the work for Me. This is a pic of the 3rd coat scraping in between coats.

Stripping Dolly

This is the 6th coat of stripper. The adhesive and paint is almost all gone. Now the holes that were filled from the lag bolts show themselves. In the final finishing steps these holes will be made to look like birdesyes or knots in the wood.

Dolly's Stripped

Here all the material for the most part, has been removed. The stripper I used is water soluable, but I prefer washing with acetone as it drys much quicker and will not cause damage to the particle board underneath. This process took 2 - 3 hours per speaker. As you can see it will be well worth the time. I'll start and finish the other one tonight. Tommorow I'll take pics of the step bt step of the prep process for the finish. JBLDOG was to make a decision based on what was under the paint as to which way We would go. If the walnut venneer was heavily damaged, He would go with an Ebony Piano Finshed in a high gloss. My forearms are very thankfull that the venneer is in outstanding condition and the Factory finish can be reproduced!
    Last edited by Audiobeer; 09-29-2003 at 07:34 PM.

Wow you have some job ahead of you! They are looking better already. I have baffle question. How much higher is that horn baffle from the 2235 baffle?? Nice pictures I wondered if they supported the compression driver on the back of the horn. Now I know!

Rob

Audiobeer!

Sir, you are a genuine craftsman! I have no doubt that these will come out looking spectacular.

JBL Dog

Magic!

You are "da-man" Audiobeer!!

I'm sending a courier over with some 136A's so you can listen to your L300's while you do your magic on the Dolly's.

The wifey can't wait for you to tackle the Minigon and "my" Metregon. The C45 pictured in the avatar is hers.

This message comes from JBL Dog

Stripped and waiting

Here they are. Tommorow I'll put another coat of stipper on and bath it with oxolic acid to get the streaks and pigments out of the grain!

Can anyone tell Me how the badges are secured? I'd like to remove them for the finishing rather than mask them in. I can feel for studs on the backside with a nut but that might be for the L-Pads

I bet the hair dryer technique will remove them.

Are you going to use walnut dowels to fill the holes or just putty them?

Take a look at this might help

We had talked about the dowels but I think a mix of putty after I stain made to match the general color will work better. The holes have allready been filled and are secure. The problem with dowels is that the end grain that is exposed is not very capable of absorbing the stain like the surrounding veneer. I may sill use dowels and tap them in about a 1/16 of an inch deeper than the surface of the veneer. Again when you use the dowels, the glue that is used to secure them finds it's way on the surrounding veneer changing the immediate areas around the dowels ability to take the stain. Right now the holes are jagged and uneven which will aid in fooling the eye in thinking there is a couple of natural birdseye knots in the veneer slice once they are filled and manipulated a bit with dry stains, alcohol and an art brush. What do you think?

Originally posted by Robh3606
    Take a look at this might help

Great Help! Thank You! Looks as if adhesive is the only thing holding it! Thanks!

Originally posted by Robh3606
    Wow you have some job ahead of you! They are looking better already. I have baffle question. How much higher is that horn baffle from the 2235 baffle?? Nice pictures I wondered if they supported the compression driver on the back of the horn. Now I know!

Rob
    I'll get back with you on that Rob!

Originally posted by Audiobeer
    Can anyone tell Me how the badges are secured?
    "Badges... BADGES???! We don't need no stinking BADGES!!

Sorry, I'm drunk...

Audiobeer, you are a Master. Now I see why you were so insistent on doing the repair of those 4313B's for me, oh-so-long-ago.

I apprecieate the step-by-step. The starters looked like they'd been through a fire. Your "repeat by the numbers" approach is remarkable, and the veneer stood-up to it all.

Really, really excellent.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information