Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL L 90

They look beautifully crafted. I'm guessing it's like an improved 4412A or maybe even (in the L100 configuration) a 3/4-L7 in how it performs. Anyone tried the new L100 tower with the same drivers to compare? I can only imagine that that 120H is screaming for a larger box! How big is that back port?

I recall the posted L90 TS bulletin link for a PDF from a previous thread but anyone know the direct link to JBL for the L90/L100, like those in the Technical Reference Links on this site for USA models?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

L 100 tower:

The L100 is a beauty. I'd much rather have this model than the L7 based on looks alone. It's probably easier to position and integrate into a room too.

The L90 port is about 8 inches long X 3.5 flared to 5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by toobwacky View Post
    he L100 is a beauty. I'd much rather have this model than the L7 based on looks alone. It's probably easier to position and integrate into a room too.
    Yes and no. I find the complaints about L7 position issues to be overblown. But what do I know, I only own two pairs!

And don't forget the L7 is a 4-way and crosses the LE120H-1 at 180Hz and the 8" 708G at 900Hz. The L100/L90 specs show crossover points of 400Hz and 2.5kHz. That seems a lot to ask of a 5" mid-range driver. I'd think the advantage of going 4-way with the LE120H-1 shouldn't be under-estimated since it is used as a pure sub in several applications. :dont-know

It's really sort of like comparing an L7 to a 4412A, which I can do anytime I want but the L7 sounds so much better I don't really play the 4412As anymore. Full L80/L90/L100 specs are earlier in this thread

Then there's that whole issue of plastic laminate, no matter how good it looks in photos, it's still plastic "wood".
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Then there's that whole issue of plastic laminate, no matter how good it looks in photos, it's still plastic "wood".
    True that! Fake "wood" should never have been applied to these otherwise spectacular speakers. Who ever made that decision deserves to face a firing squad!

As to the 4 way versus 3 way debate. There is a gentleman on this board who parted out an L7 and had custom L90s made (real wood veneer too) and he prefers the 3 way to the 4 way. The 4 way may be better, but I'd like to hear an L100 versus an L7 because it's possible the added complexity is actually a detriment to sound quality.

The 4 way may be better, but I'd like to hear an L100 versus an L7 because it's possible the added complexity is actually a detriment to sound quality.
    Maybe you can get Chris Hagen to comment on that!

I'll see your Chris Hagen and raise you an Einstein

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -- Albert Einstein

I'll see your Chris Hagen and raise you an Einstein

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -- Albert Einstein
    I hope you enjoy walking to work and living twelve-hours in the dark!

I'm a bit of a Luddite, too, but I have 4-way and 3-way JBLs (2-way, too) and my favorites are the 4-ways. To each their own. :dont-know

We're just having a friendly exchange of ideas here... right? That's certainly my intent.

...I have 4-way and 3-way JBLs (2-way, too) and my favorites are the 4-ways.
    In the end, that's all that matters!

As an occasional speaker designer, and given a choice, I would never cross over smack-dab in the middle of the mid-range the way the L7 does. A designer is just asking for trouble when they do this. Far better IMHO to let one driver cover this critical area and speak with one voice.

That's not to say a cross-over here can't be done successfully, as I suspect it is in the L7.

In fact, I'm designing a speaker right now, a 2 way, that crosses over at 1000hz. See this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=25623

Believe me, I'd prefer to cross-over an octave lower, but given the drivers I have chosen, I have no other choice... I have to X-over at 1K.

Happy 4th to you!

We're just having a friendly exchange of ideas here... right? That's certainly my intent.
    Sure, but I'm guessing you've never heard a pair of L7s, and there's plenty of info right here on this site pertaining to them and their design, some of it contributed by their designer at JBL, Chris Hagen.

Hope your holiday was a real blow-up!

Jbl L90

Hi guys although I am very happy with the highs and mids of the L90's some bass is lacking, therefore i will switcht to an entirely professional active system and will sell mine. let me know if interested

L100

They look beautifully crafted. I'm guessing it's like an improved 4412A or maybe even (in the L100 configuration) a 3/4-L7 in how it performs. Anyone tried the new L100 tower with the same drivers to compare? I can only imagine that that 120H is screaming for a larger box! How big is that back port?

I recall the posted L90 TS bulletin link for a PDF from a previous thread but anyone know the direct link to JBL for the L90/L100, like those in the Technical Reference Links on this site for USA models?
    The 120H is performing fantastic in these cabinets ( L 100 ). Super fast response and very deep bass. The 250 ti LE bass ( LE 14 H1 ) is not so responsive. Maybe the Electrocompanys 250 Watt isnt inough .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information