Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2308 Lens

Quote Originally Posted by wpod
    If anyone is interested, Image Communications in Bedford Park, Illinois has some of these lenses available. They were originally part of their Epitome Accessories listed as "Lens L-11 Plastic Deflection 10 layers 10"w x 3.5"h x 5.5" Overall Height".
    I bought a bunch of those L-11(s) at least 12-15 years ago . Somewhere, I still have at least one original L-11 cardboard shipping box. They are/were made in Taiwan. Came stuffed with shredded taiwanese newspaper. They're a very close copy of the JBL 2308 lense. Epitome ? , also made a 2307 knockoff which I keep around here for testing purposes .

Quote Originally Posted by wpod
    If anyone is interested, Image Communications in Bedford Park, Illinois has some of these lenses available. They were originally part of their Epitome Accessories listed as "Lens L-11 Plastic Deflection 10 layers 10"w x 3.5"h x 5.5" Overall Height". There is a tiny picture in their catalogue that suggests it looks like a 2308 lense. I called them to find out if they still had stock available but unfortunately they don't. HOWEVER ,They now carry the L-10 lens which has nearly the same dimensions (which I seem to have misplaced). In any case, if anyone is interested in a set, they are $9.00 per lense. I don't know if Image will sell to the general public, but I still have an account there so I'd be glad to be of assistance if necessary. I beleive that they also have a $50.00 minimum purchase. No website.
    After a bit of a run around, Image Communications agreed to sell a private party the L-10 lens. I need two for my current project. I ordered 6 to make the minimum order...supposed to ship tomorrow. Once I get them I will post images.

L-10 Lenses from Image Communications

I was prepared for anything, especially with a price of $9. I'm very pleased with what I recieved. 3 mounting holes on each side. Looks like each slat is individually molded and then glued into the stack. The mounts are then glued on. They seem sturdy. Sort of a molded in matte finish. They come in a plastic bag.

Thanks wpod for the lead and all for your comments.

While I'd love to have original JBL (and maybe one day will) these will serve.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Has anyone gotten anywhere making their own copy of these?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    I didn't see the image either - so I downloaded that wood lense image from Geocities Japan - and it was over the filesize of 390k (1024px wide, too!) so I resized it to 2/3 and am uploading the resulting 200k file so its available to all readers of this thread.
    It's a good thing you did, madam - the image is now gone...

But what to do about those walls, and that floor!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Those are beautiful.

I guess what I am looking for are scale drawings of the fins so I can make my own.

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    Those are beautiful.

I guess what I am looking for are scale drawings of the fins so I can make my own.
    Are you talking about the lenses on the 4355s in Bo's post? I know the fellow and could probably get some info for you.

Bo, he solved the problem... he recently moved.

Widget

Actually I was looking for the current 2308 design.

If someone knows more information about the lenses in Bo's post that would be interesting too. Why aren't they a straight parabolic profile, and why are a couple of the fins shorter than the others?

Alex Lancaster
    I shopped around, and the injection is close to nothing, but a pro mold would be about $5,000 US, so I dropped the project; What is Image comm.'s address?, an 800 tel number won´t work from here, Thanks.

Hello
    For a few months I have been persunig companies that could make the plates for the 2308 lens. With a old 2308 sample that was sent to me from fourm member "andresohc" that I sent to many companies for evaluation and pricing with really no luck or interest, some were only interested in doing production runs in the 10's of thousands! I now a full 3D cad file of the plate from a 2308 lens and have sent it to company that sounds like they will be interested in doing a lower number run. I noticed the other lens from Image Communications only had 10 plate instead of the JBL's 11.

I'll let you know if my lens production pursuit comes together.

Mike Caldwell

What about Widget Works? They certainly could , but it would be far more valuable than the orginals!

Now Widget will whack me, for sure.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Off Shore...

The 2308 requires a very simple tool. (THat's what an injection molding mold is called) You only need one flat tool and then you will need to shoot 11 parts for each lens. If you made 100 lenses that would mean shooting 1100 parts... almost enough to make it worthwhile.

If you are interested I can hook you up with folks in Asia that could make a tool and shoot the parts very economically... they would probably throw in gluing them together and bagging them for surprisingly little.

The question is, is there really any demand for these things? I can see buying a pair on eBay for $125 to restore a vintage system, but otherwise why would you want them?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    It's a good thing you did, madam - the image is now gone...

But what to do about those walls, and that floor!!
    After having bought my monitors without the 2308 lenses I was forced to search for something equivalent.
    Those I found Japan and they are working on my 4345's. these are made of ebony-wood and look perfect.They were produced by the same guy who made the lenses on the 4355's.

Lens made of ebony-wood

Could you be so kind as to post a link or some contact information for the maker of these great looking specimens. Do they sound as good as they look?

McCauley 417 horn/lens pair on ebay

Could these be retro-fitted on to a pair of 4343's? One of these lens is a little beat up but other seems alright from the pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/McCauley-417-hor...QQcmdZViewItem

Thread Information